Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs youngster Nathan Hrovat wants change and gets number 13

Western Bulldogs youngster Nathan Hrovat wants change and gets number 13

The Age
    December 8, 2014 - 8:00PM
    Daniel Cherny
    Sports reporter

It was during a cab ride home on Mad Monday of all places that Nathan Hrovat told Daniel Giansiracusa he wouldn't mind moving from jumper number 24.

In a ceremonial changing of the guard, the 20-year-old will now wear the number of the man with whom he shared the Western Bulldogs' forward line intermittently over his first two seasons in the AFL.

"He was keen to have 13, and I was keen for him to have it," Giansiracusa said.

Their time spent together was intermittent because both players were in and out of the team, Hrovat took turns rotating through the midfield, and Giansiracusa spent 17 games over his final two years as a player trotting the boundary line as the team's starting substitute. Thankfully for Hrovat, he is unlikely to receive a Giansiracusa gift pack, complete with green vest.

Over two years, Hrovat has received plenty of counsel from the veteran Giansiracusa and can continue to do so now with the old silver fox who has replaced the fluoro vest with a polo shirt and a spot assisting Luke Beveridge in the new-look Bulldogs coaches box.

"Obviously I've looked up to Gia over the last couple of years, he's really helped me coming into the club and playing as a forward, so to be able to take his number is a real honour and with him still working at the club it's real fun, and there's a lot of banter," Hrovat said on Monday.

Hrovat's 7 senior games in 2013 became 12 in 2014. With his stints through the midfield becoming more pronounced as the year went on, he is ready to capitalise on the departures of veteran onball duo Ryan Griffen and Adam Cooney.

"Definitely, I think there's a whole group of us that can sort of put our hands up now," Hrovat said.

As forwards coach, Giansiracusa hopes that he can hang onto the youngster as much as possible, knowing the value of both his contested ball-winning ability and poise around goals.

"He's got such great attributes. I hope he stays in the forward line. But he's definitely got attributes to play multiple positions. He's a pretty special talent and one we're really excited about," said the coach.

Helping Hrovat's cause is that he is fit and firing. He is yet to complete a full pre-season, with a string of minor complaints - a calf here, a quad there, a fractured cheekbone in the 2014 NAB Challenge - all slowing his progress. As such he has played only one game prior to June in either 2013 or 2014. Things seem different this time around.

"I've been fairly injured, so at the moment it's just about getting through each session and managing my body well," Hrovat said.

"It's actually very exciting. I'm getting to know my body a lot better. I can tell when to pull back and when to go hard. It's all learning, and I guess over the last few years being injured it's sort of made me realise when I can push."

Tuesday marks 100 days since the Bulldogs lost to the GWS Giants in Giansiracusa's 265th and final appearance in the AFL. It would be hard to comprehend that a club could have had a more tumultuous 100 days. Captain, coach and Brownlow Medallist out, No. 1 draft pick key forward, logo and new coach in.

Much has changed, but Giansiracusa says the transition over the fence has been a smooth one.

"It hasn't been tough. I've really enjoyed it. It's different, there are a lot more hours than when I was playing."

He feels as though he's striking the balance well in his new relationship with his former teammates, knowing when to have fun and when to take a more a serious approach.

Having only ever met new Dogs coach Luke Beveridge on a family holiday in Bali, Giansiracusa didn't know what to expect. Rest assured though, things are going well with the new alliance.

"He's a really humble guy and really easy to talk to."

2. Thanks soupman, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs youngster Nathan Hrovat wants change and gets number 13

Nice.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

The number 24 is a famous jumper, not sure why you would want to let it go.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The number 24 is a famous jumper, not sure why you would want to let it go.
    I was thinking about that myself, Gary Dempsey and Steve Wallis whilst it means something for us older supporters would it really mean so much for a 20 year old? Especially when he played alongside Gia who is a Doggies champ himself.

Post Thanks / Like

They all want low numbers too. Seems Rat and Gia have a connection, makes sense.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    I was thinking about that myself, Gary Dempsey and Steve Wallis whilst it means something for us older supporters would it really mean so much for a 20 year old? Especially when he played alongside Gia who is a Doggies champ himself.
    Gary - Brownlow medallist and 5 times club Champion, but yeah he wouldn't know who that was.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would love to see players keep their original jumper number and create a bit of jumper history of their own. I love the fact that Peter Foster and Tony Liberatore made numbers 32 and 39 legendary bulldog guernsey numbers.

9. Likes azabob, Drunken Bum, F'scary liked this post