Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

All The Small Things, Round 10, 2017

A celebration of frustration of the small things that happen in a game.

1. Daniel's spoil on Carlisle. Was a ripping spoil on a bloke with 30cm height plus reach.
    2. A centre bounce hit out from English in the last half. He got reach over longer, and deftly tapped it straight down for a midfielder torun onto it and use the momentum to surge an inside 50. Was just a sublime piece of ruck work and showed he was thinking about the ruck contests and not just trying to bash it and rack up hit outs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: All The Small Things, Round 10, 2017

Tom Boyd's (I think it was Tom, apologies to whoever it was because it was sensational play) two smothers in a row on the Saints forward 50 that turned a two on one in their favour with them in possession into a boundary throw in. He smothered one kick and when the other St Kilda player in the contest grabbed it and tried to kick it forward he went and smothered that kick over the boundary. He fought the contest out to the very end.

I'm going to call it a Biggsy. It was the best Biggsy I've seen this season.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Tom Boyd's (I think it was Tom, apologies to whoever it was because it was sensational play) two smothers in a row on the Saints forward 50 that turned a two on one in their favour with them in possession into a boundary throw in. He smothered one kick and when the other St Kilda player in the contest grabbed it and tried to kick it forward he went and smothered that kick over the boundary. He fought the contest out to the very end.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the first smother was Morris and the 2nd was Johannisen
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, the first smother was Morris and the 2nd was Johannisen
    Correct
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this counts as a 'small thing' or not, but Jake Stringer simply getting back to basics without trying to do the miraculous netted him five goals. All 5 came from run of the mill lead-up or one on one marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Correct
    Teamwork. Even better.

I know it was only yesterday but the game seems like it happened ages ago.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed some of the small things Boyd does, when the ball hits the ground. A little tap forward, a shephard, a block etc. He has really improved in this area.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I noticed some of the small things Boyd does, when the ball hits the ground. A little tap forward, a shephard, a block etc. He has really improved in this area.
    I think he always has been good at this, but not a lot of attention has been paid to it. He was vital in the last passage of the pre-lim, and he laid two shepards in the GF resulting in Picken scoring two late last quarter goals and winning the thing (on top of his 3 own). The media don't like it because its a kin to having something simple like great reliable blue tooth in a Masserati, you didn't pay a million for it, but it's still a great feature.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Roughie's shepherd in the third allowed Morris to get a handball out

Post Thanks / Like

Dale holding his feet in a tackle in the third qtr and kicking the ball into the forward fifty that resulted in an important Bulldog goal
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's an interesting one. After round 10 we have the exact same 'points for' as Richmond and just one less 'points against' than them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Here's an interesting one. After round 10 we have the exact same 'points for' as Richmond and just one less 'points against' than them
    Not sure why we've been worried about percentage! Remarkably, we have the best % of all of the teams sitting on 24 pts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Not sure why we've been worried about percentage! Remarkably, we have the best % of all of the teams sitting on 24 pts
    Only after a 40 point win over St Kilda, which was our biggest of the year

Still 10% behind GWS & Geelong, and 40% behind Adelaide & Port (who have a game in hand on us and could join us on 6-4 and knock us out of the top 4)
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

I like it!