Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

“it’s a non-issue” – murphy on dogs infighting

link

Bob Murphy has denied reports that player in-fighting is threatening to derail the Western Bulldog season.

On Monday, David Schwarz said on SEN’s The Run Home that there are a few off-field issues bubbling away under the surface at Whitten Oval that are having an impact on the on-field performance.

“There are players down there that aren’t seeing eye-to-eye on a number of issues, and some of them aren’t footy related,” Schwarz said.

The Bulldogs have lost four of their past five matches and face North Melbourne on Saturday night, but Murphy told SEN Breakfast that he only became aware of the issue after reading a tweet from Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson.

“There’s obviously plenty of noise around the club at the moment. It’s our turn at the moment and you bring it upon yourselves with the way we’ve lost in the last couple of weeks,” he said.

“I checked my phone a couple of nights ago and Robbo’s tweeted (that) Ox is running with this story that there’s infighting at the Dogs,

“I turned to my wife and said who are they talking about? I genuinely don’t know. Last night we had a team dinner…everyone was there, everyone stayed til the end.

“It’s a non-issue.”

Murphy, who is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury, described any questioning of the club’s spirit as “insulting”.
    “It’s a ferocious, unrelenting and accountable sport and profession,” he said.

“There’s always tension – 45 players, 22 spots, the business model for morale is a tough one.

“We’ve got a great spirit at our footy club and for that to be challenged at the moment externally, that’s when you get protective, and it’s insulting because it doesn’t reflect our life.”

Murphy said that the challenge is now to quickly regain the confidence that saw them cut a swathe through the finals series last year.

“When you lose the way we have the last two weeks – human nature of course you lose confidence,” he said.

“Externally it’s always big, broad brush strokes. It’s the premiership hangover or its infighting. Inside the club we go the other way. We don’t sit in there and go how do we deal with premiership hangover? That’s not our world at all.

“The thing we have to be careful of internally is that you’re not trying to fix 1000 little things, you get some focus areas to get on top of.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, Smads57, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “it’s a non-issue” – murphy on dogs infighting

Jake has come out swinging.

4. Thanks hujsh, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Jake has come out swinging.

How so?

Forget it, I see on Herald he's said something, but behind paywall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    How so?

Forget it, I see on Herald he's said something, but behind paywall.
    ??? He said exactly what you can see in the picture.

7. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This needs to be sorted now. It's the sort of bullshit that destroys playing groups. I'd these clowns think they get the big money to play out a Days of our Lives scenario they are mistaken. All we want them to do is play football.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

9. Likes Max469, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    This needs to be sorted now. It's the sort of bullshit that destroys playing groups. I'd these clowns think they get the big money to play out a Days of our Lives scenario they are mistaken. All we want them to do is play football.
    There's nothing to sort. That's what Stringer has said. It's ridiculous that he has had to come out and defend himself and his family because of baseless, slanderous rumours that have been made-up by keyboard warriors and idiotic, gamblers who somehow get a gig in the media

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    There's nothing to sort. That's what Stringer has said. It's ridiculous that he has had to come out and defend himself and his family because of baseless, slanderous rumours that have been made-up by keyboard warriors and idiotic, gamblers who somehow get a gig in the media
    I hope you're right. I really want you to be right.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the way it's done these days isn't it. These vultures sniff out the club that is the "person wondering through the desert with no water" and if they circle enough he just might drop and be a nice meal.

Unfortunately those that probably should know better get caught up in it as well, almost encouraging idiots to call in with their rumours and giving them air time. Just don't name any names but wow there must be something going on here, let's take this off air.

13. Thanks Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

David Schwarz should apologise for airing baseless gossip . Two callers rang SEN and just made up a story basically .
    That moron ran with it . Funny how this all coincided with our poor form

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that it is not a "Days of Our lives Scenario". Breakups (for whatever reasons) are extremely difficult at any age, so I cannot even conceive what Jake must be going through now. Dealing with a sensitive real life issue, together with the pressure AFL footy puts on a young man; must be incredibly difficult. Jake needs our support, not our condemnation, or judgement.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you're right. I really want you to be right.
    There were baseless rumours floating around BF a few weeks ago. Then a couple of them have called up SEN and that moron Schwartz has run with it as our form dropped off a cliff. How he and countless other ex-footaballers have roles in the media is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    The problem is that it is not a "Days of Our lives Scenario". Breakups (for whatever reasons) are extremely difficult at any age, so I cannot even conceive what Jake must be going through now. Dealing with a sensitive real life issue, together with the pressure AFL footy puts on a young man; must be incredibly difficult. Jake needs our support, not our condemnation, or judgement.
    I was talking about Hunter sticking his bib in but I agree, breakups are the worst. I can't imagine what playing one out through the media must be like.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the positive and supportive posts on this thread.
    Our team is going through a tough patch and attention-seeking scuttlebutters emerge with unsupported rumours, that are inflamed by inflated-ego lower B grade media "personalities".
    It's contributions like the above on this thread which contribute to a return of a positive "we can get through this" attitude, regardless of the current difficulties.
    How dare anyone contribute to Jake's, his family's or his mate's personal difficulties with innuendo or downright lies!

Post Thanks / Like

Good on Jake & Abby for calling out BS on everyone. Say what you will, but I like that Rebel Wilson called out BS and got a win, and I'm happy Jake & Abby (& Bob separately) called out BS too. The only way gutter journalism slows is by the targets calling it out. How the *!*!*!*! SEN werent sued over the 'Boyd glassing Cordy' shit they let to air astonishes me. Hopefully Boyd is just a little slow in retaining legal counsel.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insufficient Intent View Post
    Thanks for all the positive and supportive posts on this thread.
    Our team is going through a tough patch and attention-seeking scuttlebutters emerge with unsupported rumours, that are inflamed by inflated-ego lower B grade media "personalities".
    It's contributions like the above on this thread which contribute to a return of a positive "we can get through this" attitude, regardless of the current difficulties.
    How dare anyone contribute to Jake's, his family's or his mate's personal difficulties with innuendo or downright lies!

Well said. Aye, aye, II. I agree completely about the over inflated ego bit. People like Damien Barrett and Mark Robinson must be rubbing their hands together waiting for somebody else to make up a new story. I hate that idea.