Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16

View Poll Results: Have you lost faith in the AFL?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

27 71.05%
  • No.

2 5.26%
  • Somewhere in the middle.

9 23.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone else lost faith in the AFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    Sometimes i just wish we had of folded completely so i could ignore the "competition" completely and get on with my life such is the regard i hold the afl in.
    A mate text me during the 2nd quarter GWS game and said "Gerard and Jason are not impressed with the dogs".

I'm not proud of my response but it went something along the lines of

Why the F would they be?

Afl should have relocated / killed us off, rather than bring in two new clubs and starve us of draft picks. How is a club meant to improve when you can't access the talent in over four drafts?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    A mate text me during the 2nd quarter GWS game and said "Gerard and Jason are not impressed with the dogs".

I'm not proud of my response but it went something along the lines of

Why the F would they be?

Afl should have relocated / killed us off, rather than bring in two new clubs and starve us of draft picks. How is a club meant to improve when you can't access the talent in over four drafts?
    Therein lies the problem at our next tilt. We seem to be seen as just a team that gives the big teams a variety of opponents to beat.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

1. Any competition where the draw is rigged is a joke.

2. The rule changes to combat things the AFL doesn't like. For example, if a coach uses what are perceived as negative tactics, but is effective and wins games, then its up to the others to come up with a counter to this. Otherwise its just a rigged side show.

3. Expansion at the cost consolidation of existing clubs. There is simply not enough talent to go around, so stop adding more teams in places people do not want those teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I selected 'Somewhere in the middle', the reason being I am somewhat isolated from most coverage and AFL issues.
    I have lost faith in the fact that we will get a equal draw , but I still (naively) believe we will win a flag in my lifetime.
    I am sure if I was still in Melbourne and was confronted by the bias each week I would have selected 'yes' hands down.
    I can relate a lot to this post. I live in Regional NSW. I have fairly limited access to AFL. I do believe that we will win a flag in my lifetime but probably more so as a feel good story for the AFL! Just like a happy story at the end of a news bulletin we will be gifted some concession to enable us to be competitive in the year 2030 after a decade of interstate dominance.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL PFFFT, just like McDonalds, plastic product and all about money.

2 weeks ago I had the rare privilege of going to a local suburban footy game. Immediately I realised how much our great game at the national level had lost touch with its grass roots support.

There I was amongst the people, hard core footy barrackers with a can of carlton draught firmly grasped, loudly hurling their comical commentary, albeit unheard, to those combatants on field yet appreciated by those fellow supporters jostling for a better view nearby.

I enjoyed seeing a full forward opposed to a full back, wingers vs wingers, half forward flankers and half back flankers taking each other on and so on. Then there were the ruck contests. One team had a dominant ruckman and this team were winning comprehensively. I noticed the opposing ruckman was really struggling. He couldn't get to throw ins on time, he wandered around aimlessly and was always out of breath. On closer inspection he was at least 40+ years old, balding and with no fitness to match the incredible skill he once had. On closer inspection, when he came to the forward pocket for a rest, I realised he was a mate of mine.

You wouldn't believe it, My mate marks, despite his lethargy, in the forward pocket about 15m out on a slight angle. I raise my beer in honour of my old mate and he duly responds by missing. His team lost by 12 goals but we all had a great time at the clubrooms later on. My good old mate is reminded constantly of his shank.

It was beautiful, I loved it yet I didn't know anyone, aside from my old ruckman mate. I was transported back in time, to a time when I used to barrack amongst the people near the fence and with who we unashamedly hurled support for my mighty Bulldogs. I yearn for those days because these were the great days of going to the footy.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The draw has to be corrected. TBH, at some point I believe the AFL has to create a 34 round competition where everyone plays each other 2x. It is too biased otherwise.

My suggestion is mid-week games - team playing on a Friday/Saturday play on a Tuesday. Teams on a Saturday night/Sunday play on Wednesday. You do this for the first 10 weeks of the season leading up to the break.

You also increase list sizes to 40/42 and introduce a player games cap, so that no player can play more than 26/27 games in a season (including finals).

Wont be popular amongst players initially, but will remove a large inequity in the draw.

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mid-week games would be a failure for attendances, but could work as a TV "product".

Post Thanks / Like

I am in my 50's, and now doubt I will ever see us in a GF let alone win one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    AFL PFFFT, just like McDonalds, plastic product and all about money.

2 weeks ago I had the rare privilege of going to a local suburban footy game. Immediately I realised how much our great game at the national level had lost touch with its grass roots support.

There I was amongst the people, hard core footy barrackers with a can of carlton draught firmly grasped, loudly hurling their comical commentary, albeit unheard, to those combatants on field yet appreciated by those fellow supporters jostling for a better view nearby.

I enjoyed seeing a full forward opposed to a full back, wingers vs wingers, half forward flankers and half back flankers taking each other on and so on. Then there were the ruck contests. One team had a dominant ruckman and this team were winning comprehensively. I noticed the opposing ruckman was really struggling. He couldn't get to throw ins on time, he wandered around aimlessly and was always out of breath. On closer inspection he was at least 40+ years old, balding and with no fitness to match the incredible skill he once had. On closer inspection, when he came to the forward pocket for a rest, I realised he was a mate of mine.

You wouldn't believe it, My mate marks, despite his lethargy, in the forward pocket about 15m out on a slight angle. I raise my beer in honour of my old mate and he duly responds by missing. His team lost by 12 goals but we all had a great time at the clubrooms later on. My good old mate is reminded constantly of his shank.

It was beautiful, I loved it yet I didn't know anyone, aside from my old ruckman mate. I was transported back in time, to a time when I used to barrack amongst the people near the fence and with who we unashamedly hurled support for my mighty Bulldogs. I yearn for those days because these were the great days of going to the footy.
    Amen to that. I've been to more local footy, VFL and TAC this year than ever before for exactly the things you point out. The culture and game styles are more authentic (I think is the word). When you feel that you realise how much you've missed it, my moment was earlier this year in the country round of TAC with 3 games back to back in Bendigo, sunny day, cool Beveridge and atmosphere with kids playing to win, generally quicker and with more skill. Sunday was enjoyable too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Australian Football is the greatest sport in the world, however i now look forward to the NFL and NBA seasons more than i do AFL. Its a real shame but it is the result of the boys club of the AFL and certain club presidents.

The league is a farce and as far from equal as it has ever been. So many issues i dont want to get into else it will just turn into a rant but the league is all for the $ and couldnt give a crap about its fans. It bewilders me as to how the AFL cannot see the issues it is creating with its rule changes and fixturing. Have a team play 4:40 sundays every other week and zero friday nights?? Seriously?? How on earth is that going to help the club. And dont give that bullshit excuse of performance when collingwood and calrton get at least 5 friday nights each next year....here comes the rant so all ill say is AFL has gone from my no 1 sport to no 4 in the last 4-5 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    1. Any competition where the draw is rigged is a joke.

2. The rule changes to combat things the AFL doesn't like. For example, if a coach uses what are perceived as negative tactics, but is effective and wins games, then its up to the others to come up with a counter to this. Otherwise its just a rigged side show.

3. Expansion at the cost consolidation of existing clubs. There is simply not enough talent to go around, so stop adding more teams in places people do not want those teams.
    Got it in three.

The game now couldn't be any more scripted if they tried. I can see myself attending far more VFL than AFL games next year, especially if there are more at the Whitten Oval.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

I am obviously in the minority but I have lost faith in the dogs, not in the afl. 2 years ago port were a 'basket case' and apparently they were bankrupt and about to fold. They have now made their second consecutive finals series...they suffered though the exact same draft concessions stuff we did.

They acted and changed. What have we done?

I am glad our games haven't been on Friday / Saturday nights...it means I can actually enjoy a game of footy without the spectre of another disappointing dogs game souring my mood.

Our young players look the goods and are developing...but if this is the case, why aren't our results improving? I watch hawthorn lose half their side to injury and simply keep rolling on. As supporters, we bemoan the loss of Griff for a few weeks and point to that as a reason for mediocre results. Where is our commitment to performance under adversity? Richmond are 3-10 and talk finals...and make it. We are 0-0 at the start of the year and the club still won't commit to being a 'challenger', of aspiring to be good. We criticise north and brad Scott but at least they fight the fight - winning games against top sides. Who can remember when we last did that? And if north are as bad as we all seem to think, why are they playing this weekend and we aren't?

We can blame the afl all we like but my frustration with footy at the moment is a lot closer to home.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

16. Likes The Doctor, bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We are of a similar age I'm backing then... I think Mankinds development as a character tapped into that narrative perfectly between the hilly billy hero worshipping of Austin and the Yankee's people's elbow arrogant fun of The Rock. Didn't Mankind then join forces with Vince McMahon after that as well from memory? That would be fun, Gillon forcing a deal with a swinging fold up chair and the dogs casually walking down to pin them for the win and the shock value on the crowd...
    Hahaha well quickly it went something like this...
    Vince pretended to like Mankind in really patronising and condescending way. Mankind was all naive and long story short, Vince screwed him to basically hand the title to The Rock. From there on, Mankind became underdog hero. He beat The Rock to win the title in massive underdog moment.

Post Thanks / Like

In WWE terms we remind me of the 80's tag team The Rockers. Have decent support levels and the administration figures they'll still hold some appeal even if given poor time slots and rarely allowed to win. Basically a profitable B league team.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    In WWE terms we remind me of the 80's tag team The Rockers. Have decent support levels and the administration figures they'll still hold some appeal even if given poor time slots and rarely allowed to win. Basically a profitable B league team.
    And if we win the flag they'll probably film it on tape delay and never air it?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -