Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finals a realistic aim for Western Bulldogs, says Tom Liberatore

You obviously had higher hopes for Hunter, Wallis (top ten finish in the B&F in 2014 - not a bad outcome), Hrovat and JJ than I did. As for Roughy, I'm not sure how much further he could be developed as a key defender than what we've seen to this point.

With Jong, Redpath, Campbell and Cordy I think they need to be measured against where they were when they joined us. All but the latter were rated as long shots to be senior listed players when McCartney joined the club, while it was only last year that Cordy put together consistent football for the first time in the VFL.

This year it will be interesting to see how all of these players perform this year. If they put in very good performances it's unlikely the work put into them during McCartney's time at the club will receive any of the credit for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You obviously had higher hopes for Hunter, Wallis (top ten finish in the B&F in 2014 - not a bad outcome), Hrovat and JJ than I did. As for Roughy, I'm not sure how much further he could be developed as a key defender than what we've seen to this point.

With Jong, Redpath, Campbell and Cordy I think they need to be measured against where they were when they joined us. All but the latter were rated as long shots to be senior listed players when McCartney joined the club, while it was only last year that Cordy put together consistent football for the first time in the VFL.

This year it will be interesting to see how all of these players perform this year. If they put in very good performances it's unlikely the work put into them during McCartney's time at the club will receive any of the credit for it.
    No one is really left at the club in a coaching sense, so I agree no one will send credit their/his way. If it was a case he had to sacrifice his career to force the necessary change then I guess he's a martyr to the cause. That's a big if.

But the Macrae media debacle, the rumours of Stringer and Gordon talking and Libba telling the media the new coach has a new/better way of communicating with young players... Im not betting anyone will be sending praise Maccas way. If there is advancement, I'm sure the narrative will be the improvement was/is because of the change.

Tough gig is AFL coaching.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No one is really left at the club in a coaching sense, so I agree no one will send credit their/his way. If it was a case he had to sacrifice his career to force the necessary change then I guess he's a martyr to the cause. That's a big if.

But the Macrae media debacle, the rumours of Stringer and Gordon talking and Libba telling the media the new coach has a new/better way of communicating with young players... Im not betting anyone will be sending praise Maccas way. If there is advancement, I'm sure the narrative will be the improvement was/is because of the change.

Tough gig is AFL coaching.
    Are you sure about that?

There were clearly issues in the second two thirds of the year last year, and I think it probably had something to do with McCartney ramping up expectation on the list as a whole and being a bit too open with his feelings about the output of certain players young and old. As I said earlier, it will be interesting to see how Beveridge is perceived when he needs to get the stick out.

Just on Stringer going to Gordon after Griffen announced his wish to leave, that's not a rumour - Gordon referred to it in his immediate comments after the McCartney decision.

The departure of some senior players alongside McCartney has cleared the way for a fresh start at a club that's had a questionable playing culture for the last half decade as it stands. If that's what it takes to get a better result for the club then so be it. As you said, ALF coaching is a tough gig.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think the Old Guard called Macca's bluff. The results were not on the board and you need a really strong personality to stand up and crack the stick when the club is down. I don't think Cooney et al. actually gave Macca the respect he deserved. Whether that was a product of Macca never playing AFL footy and potentially being in a difficult position to advise on it I don't know. No other coach other than Joyce has ever had an issue with the players and it seems strange. I know there was a lot of discussion about Macca never playing at the top level. All things being equal you would expect the players to be professional and for this to never be an issue but players are human and doubts creep in during a bad win loss season and are exacerbated when you lose against GWS in Gia's farewell game. Things certainly went from bad to shite from there.

As for Libba, I think it's great he's talking up finals. We need to believe and expect that we will play them every year, even if we don't. It breeds a winning culture and that's what we need to nurture now. Expecting to play finals also mentally prepares them for the coal face of finals footy when they get there and hopefully puts them in a position to perform rather than be over-awed.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Looks like Bevo is adamant players must be more versatile.
    Where does that leave Dickson & Grant?

I have serious doubts on their ability to play outside of the forwardline. Even Crameri runs hard & deep up the ground.

You have to love the way Libba plays, in any case. First into the packs and first in to fly the flag for teammates.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers