Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trimmed-down Tom Boyd feeling more mobile - ( EXCITING )

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    3kg is a fair amount of weight to lose in an elite environment, especially if you've been changing your body profile towards higher muscle mass in the process. A hard preseason in the gym on a lean but large player can result in a gain of 3-4kg's, so if Boyd has managed to lose three kg's and has noticeably increased his muscle mass then he must have been a regular butter ball last year relative to others in the system.

It's easy to ping this on GWS's management of him, but I suspect a fair bit of it had to do with Boyd's attitude towards football and his environment.
    Then why did he play 9 games if he wasn't doing what was expected of him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Then why did he play 9 games if he wasn't doing what was expected of him?
    Sometimes people aren't happy and it affects their ability to learn new concepts and disciplines, and this is a fairly common theme across draftees who move interstate. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them, or that they're not trying to do the right thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes people aren't happy and it affects their ability to learn new concepts and disciplines, and this is a fairly common theme across draftees who move interstate. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them, or that they're not trying to do the right thing.
    It certainly seems to be the case. It amazes me sometimes because I, as a 19 year old, simply couldn't wait to get out from underneath the family umbrella and deliberately picked WA as a preferred posting due to the distance from Victoria. Wanted to get out on my own steam. I did eventually return home to Victoria for greater job opportunities but I certainly wasn't under-performing or unhappy when I was in WA, quite the opposite. I revelled in the freedom and independence.

Kids these days, eh? Maybe they've got better families and friend circles than I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    It certainly seems to be the case. It amazes me sometimes because I, as a 19 year old, simply couldn't wait to get out from underneath the family umbrella and deliberately picked WA as a preferred posting due to the distance from Victoria. Wanted to get out on my own steam. I did eventually return home to Victoria for greater job opportunities but I certainly wasn't under-performing or unhappy when I was in WA, quite the opposite. I revelled in the freedom and independence.

Kids these days, eh? Maybe they've got better families and friend circles than I do.
    It's not a generational change in attitude but just a different environment. More people are expected to go to uni which takes time and there are less and less full or part time jobs unless you are experienced in the role. The workforce has been increasingly casualised

Post Thanks / Like

3kg is a fair amount of weight to lose in an elite environment, especially if you've been changing your body profile towards higher muscle mass in the process. A hard preseason in the gym on a lean but large player can result in a gain of 3-4kg's, so if Boyd has managed to lose three kg's and has noticeably increased his muscle mass then he must have been a regular butter ball last year relative to others in the system.

It's easy to ping this on GWS's management of him, but I suspect a fair bit of it had to do with Boyd's attitude towards football and his environment.

I completely unserstand his point of view. I couldn't live or be at my best in Sydney. The place just doesn't appeal to me. No offence to people who live in Sydney or anything, it's me not Sydney I'm sure.

Albury has the same effect on me.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I completely unserstand his point of view. I couldn't live or be at my best in Sydney. The place just doesn't appeal to me. No offence to people who live in Sydney or anything, it's me not Sydney I'm sure.

Albury has the same effect on me.
    You can't underestimate homesickness.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    You can't underestimate homesickness.

I understand he has a strong network of family and friends. The club will be the beneficiary of having him back and settled amongst it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we all convinced lighter is the way to go for Boyd? I haven't made up my mind on it yet but he is never going to be an elite runner or beat guys with his agility. He is going to be your Kurt Tippett/Tom Hawkins style beast. Obviously he can get stronger without getting heavier but it will be interesting to see if in 2 years time we are debating whether he should just go the other way and get huge.

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of the weight was puppy fat, but he will continue to get stronger, harder, fitter and better and not carrying excess weight will help that. His contested gather and handball to Honeychurch for the last goal was even better on the replay. There's a lot to love over a long career ahead.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think some of the weight was puppy fat, but he will continue to get stronger, harder, fitter and better and not carrying excess weight will help that. His contested gather and handball to Honeychurch for the last goal was even better on the replay. There's a lot to love over a long career ahead.
    13 disposals is not bad for a big forward, even though he did spend some time in the ruck. I happy with what I saw for a practice match.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    13 disposals is not bad for a big forward, even though he did spend some time in the ruck. I happy with what I saw for a practice match.
    Yep, his non stats were the good thing. Presence in the air, strong on his feet, happy to contest for the footy, ability and want to run. Apparently you can't teach these things to some tall kids, or so a long list of failed talls of ours proved, so that's good to see.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep, his non stats were the good thing. Presence in the air, strong on his feet, happy to contest for the footy, ability and want to run. Apparently you can't teach these things to some tall kids, or so a long list of failed talls of ours proved, so that's good to see.
    Completely agree, that was the most encouraging thing for mine. At one point in the third he was contesting a long kick deep forward against three defenders with one holding him out of the contest allowing Dylan Grimes to come back and take the mark.
    This brought a few groans but it was a huge positive in my mind, he was drawing a big crowd already and 7 times out of 10 he'll be able to get to that contest, hit the body and that ball spills where our numbers should be.

If this is his standard game across the season I'll be pretty content with that, solid contributions while continuing to flash those 'big paws on a puppy' moments

15. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Completely agree, that was the most encouraging thing for mine. At one point in the third he was contesting a long kick deep forward against three defenders with one holding him out of the contest allowing Dylan Grimes to come back and take the mark.
    This brought a few groans but it was a huge positive in my mind, he was drawing a big crowd already and 7 times out of 10 he'll be able to get to that contest, hit the body and that ball spills where our numbers should be.

If this is his standard game across the season I'll be pretty content with that, solid contributions while continuing to flash those 'big paws on a puppy' moments
    Love the analogy Lemmon - gonna use this myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

Over time this will be massive. I recall a few times yesterday where I wanted Redpath and a roughy to be further away to split the defenders. If two or three defenders are required over the years to stop him, the likes of Dickson/Grant need to get free and hurt with less checking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Love the analogy Lemmon - gonna use this myself.
    I stole it myself from The Wire!