Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trimmed-down Tom Boyd feeling more mobile - ( EXCITING )

Link

A leaner Tom Boyd is confident his trimmer frame will be better equipped for AFL football after feeling too heavy during his first season for Greater Western Sydney.

The new Western Bulldog, who is set to make his debut for the club in its NAB Challenge opener on Saturday against Richmond, has dropped 3kg over the pre-season.

He has also turned weight into muscle, leaving him more prepared for his second AFL season after struggling to cover the ground at times for the Giants.

"From my point of view I was probably less mobile than I was in the past, but I'm a big guy and I always have been," Boyd said on Monday.

"It was probably more from a development point of view that I didn't realise what weight I could play at. It was a really good learning curve for me to assess where my body's at, and what I can handle at AFL level.

"Obviously I had no idea what the standard would be like, but I'm a bit lighter this year and looking to have a good year."

Boyd enters his career at the Bulldogs with new expectations placed upon him.

He knows they are natural from those outside the club – his long-term multi-million dollar deal has already attracted plenty of opinions.

But he sees the views of those inside Whitten Oval, where he will meet the Tigers on Saturday, as most important.

"I am 19, but at the same time I am here to play the best footy I can and that's always been my goal at whatever level I've played and whatever age group," Boyd said.

"I'll be looking to make as much ground as I can and look to improve every chance I get.

"For those who know me, my goals and aspirations are fairly high anyway. And they're not going to change for any speculation outside of the club or people I don't personally know. I'll be aiming to get the most of myself and outside opinions won't change that."

Giants coach Leon Cameron told AFL.com.au last week that Boyd struggled with homesickness in his year at the club, saying "he probably felt his football wasn't doing the talking".

Boyd, who was the No.1 NAB AFL Draft pick in 2013, said he enjoyed being back home in Victoria, and noticed the change it had brought in his football.

"My general demeanour is a bit more balanced down here and it's been really good getting to see my family a little bit more, who I'm really close with," Boyd said.

"I've settled into the club extremely well and the boys have been really good to me. I just can't wait to get into games and hopefully put it out on the park."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trimmed-down Tom Boyd feeling more mobile - ( EXCITING )

In the limited bits I've seen of him at training he's certainly moving better than in the games I saw him play last year. I still think he'll struggle a bit this season given his preseason has been pretty interrupted and he's really only been training full time for 2 months. If he can show some of the talent he's displayed as a junior and have an impact in patches at AFL level then I'll be happy enough with his 2015.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    In the limited bits I've seen of him at training he's certainly moving better than in the games I saw him play last year. I still think he'll struggle a bit this season given his preseason has been pretty interrupted and he's really only been training full time for 2 months. If he can show some of the talent he's displayed as a junior and have an impact in patches at AFL level then I'll be happy enough with his 2015.
    This. We don't need 100 goal or 100 goal expectations. Hawkins and Cloke took a while to get there and here they are. If we can see glimpes or patches of what he can do I will be stoked and I think his confidence will rise. Like Stringer before him, once they get strong and believe they can do it at the level, then watch out.

The pay off is in 5 years when every commentator talks about how they supported the Gryphon/Boyd trade and were always backing Boyd to dominate. But until then, small glimpes of talent and application are great.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I'd be pretty content if we got 18 games and 18 goals in the seniors from Tommy. He's going to take time, the most important thing is time on the park

Post Thanks / Like

It's getting games into Tom Is going to be crucial. The media swing in the breeze to be honest.
    Jake Niall, Caroline Wilson are two I look forward to hearing from if the Boyd trade is a raging success.
    I'm sure they'll go silent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    It's getting games into Tom Is going to be crucial. The media swing in the breeze to be honest.
    Jake Niall, Caroline Wilson are two I look forward to hearing from if the Boyd trade is a raging success.
    I'm sure they'll go silent
    The latter seemed to think that due to AFL special assistance being granted to our club we shouldn't be using our salary cap to lure marquee players, or pay part of our defecting ex-captain's forthcoming wages.

I'm looking for something similar to what TD has stated, with possibly a little more impact on the score board. 1.25 to 1.5 goals a game would be a really good return from him.

7. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd keeps getting richer and richer......first the Age reported he was getting $6m over 6 years. Then it was $7m, and tonight channel 7 has told us he is on $8m a season.

By round 1 he will be at the top of Forbes rich list with Bill Gates et al.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Tom Boyd keeps getting richer and richer......first the Age reported he was getting $6m over 6 years. Then it was $7m, and tonight channel 7 has told us he is on $8m a season.

By round 1 he will be at the top of Forbes rich list with Bill Gates et al.
    It's the endorsements.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This. We don't need 100 goal or 100 goal expectations. Hawkins and Cloke took a while to get there and here they are. If we can see glimpes or patches of what he can do I will be stoked and I think his confidence will rise. Like Stringer before him, once they get strong and believe they can do it at the level, then watch out.

The pay off is in 5 years when every commentator talks about how they supported the Gryphon/Boyd trade and were always backing Boyd to dominate. But until then, small glimpes of talent and application are great.
    Remember that nab cup game against Hawthorn (I think) when Jake Stringer stepped around a couple of Hawthorn defenders and kicked a checkside goal from 50 out on the boundary? We knew right then we had a player. If Tom Boyd can give us a teaser on Saturday like Jake did a couple years ago, there will be a lot of bulldog supporters with big smiles on their face. And in the wake of shocktober that will mean a lot and could sell memberships.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Remember that nab cup game against Hawthorn (I think) when Jake Stringer stepped around a couple of Hawthorn defenders and kicked a checkside goal from 50 out on the boundary? We knew right then we had a player. If Tom Boyd can give us a teaser on Saturday like Jake did a couple years ago, there will be a lot of bulldog supporters with big smiles on their face. And in the wake of shocktober that will mean a lot and could sell memberships.
    I remember, still shocked he tried it. Most kids wouldn't dare dream, let alone have ago and be able to pull it off. It's exactly these things that can get us through a possible lean year. Hope is a powerful thing.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Honestly I'd be pretty content if we got 18 games and 18 goals in the seniors from Tommy. He's going to take time, the most important thing is time on the park
    This is it for me too - something around the 20-25 goal mark is certainly a pass for Tom in his first year. It's not like he is slotting into a final 4 side and the guy is still a teenager. But from. Humble beginnings do all champions grow....

Post Thanks / Like

Expecting nothing short of the Coleman. We've simply paid him too much money to accept a goal kicking tally less than 75.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Expecting nothing short of the Coleman. We've simply paid him too much money to accept a goal kicking tally less than 75.
    Not this year we haven't but next year I expect a ton.
    I don't really have a total goal tally in mind and I'm sure the coaches don't either. I Would be happy to simply see a real target in the goal square. One that can contest and create opportunities for others. If he can just look like he fits in, (as opposed to being all over the place ala Jones) then I'll be happy. If he can take a few big strong marks I'll probably wet myself and go into instance bromance mode.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a damning indictement of his preparation and handling whilst at GWS, isn't it. When is the last time we were reporting a 2nd year player having 'trimmed down'? Its usually the other way around.

We'll see the first signs of the real Tom Boyd this year, not the "13 Goals" that some journos keep alluding to.

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    The first big grab he takes will be played endlessly.

It may not beat the 824,967 times I've watched Bonti's goal, but it will be all over the Bulldog & AFL websites for sure. The exposure will be nice.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers