Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 9, 2017 - Geelong V Western Bulldogs

Positives:
    Wally
    Wood
    Dale
    Boyd
    Jong

Some poor decisions by our players, poor disposal and terrible second cost us in the end. We allowed their key players to get the game on their terms.

Disappointing. We need a big second half of the year - starting next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Disagree. From memory none of their goals came from marks where they outsized their opponent, almost all came from spillages around the 45m mark or from centre clearances.

Adams and Wood dominated the air, as demonstrated by their main big man Hawkins doing stuff all.

Our selection was poor because in a game where their only strength is their midfield, we failed to counter that effectively. In hindsight Libba would have been good for that, despite his shite form, and McLean is another who seems to have a knack of influencing ball ups, including at crucial stages of the match.
    Some good thoughts. Playing Roberts and or Cordy would have given us the flexibility to move Adams and Cordy forward at some stage. Redpath and Cloke with just 3 goals between them just wasn't enough. I agree on the midfield. Would have preferred to have retained Libba. Dangerfield Selwood and Duncan played very well as did Wallis who was fantastic after missing so much football after a serious injury and Jong likewise was very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    You were making up excuses for an easier shot from Boyd earlier in the game. It happens, bad kixking is bad football. It was heart breaking seeing them ram it home from 45 to outside 50m consistantly.
    I wasn't defending Boyd, just stating a fact. Until his tank improves, we'll have to accept his kicking won't be spot on but he gives us so much more around the ground you take the good with the bad.

Redpath rarely leaves the 50, barely touches the ball, couldn't impact contests all night and then has a rare chance to influence the game and he fluffs it. Inexcusable.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Some good thoughts. Playing Roberts and or Cordy would have given us the flexibility to move Adams and Cordy forward at some stage. Redpath and Cloke with just 3 goals between them just wasn't enough. I agree on the midfield. Would have preferred to have retained Libba. Dangerfield Selwood and Duncan played very well as did Wallis who was fantastic after missing so much football after a serious injury and Jong likewise was very good.
    Still not sold on throwing Adams or Cordy up forward. Redpath and Cloke should have been big enough. The fact Bont seemed to play full forward for half the match with two defenders was confusing knowing this, but I don't see how bringing in another immobile tall helps that scenario.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree. From memory none of their goals came from marks where they outsized their opponent, almost all came from spillages around the 45m mark or from centre clearances.

Adams and Wood dominated the air, as demonstrated by their main big man Hawkins doing stuff all.

Our selection was poor because in a game where their only strength is their midfield, we failed to counter that effectively. In hindsight Libba would have been good for that, despite his shite form, and McLean is another who seems to have a knack of influencing ball ups, including at crucial stages of the match.
    Harry Taylor had five marks and 5 goals, no one seemed to be on him. They had 12 set shots and didn't miss.

I agree with NBP, we were one tall short in the backline. We only had Adams as a 193cm backman. Morris is no good against talls, and Wood has to constantly use his jumping ability to get high - not easy to do.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Harry Taylor had five marks and 5 goals, no one seemed to be on him. They had 12 set shots and didn't miss.

I agree with NBP, we were one tall short in the backline. We only had Adams as a 193cm backman. Morris is no good against talls, and Wood has to constantly use his jumping ability to get high - not easy to do.
    Looked it up. His 3 goals in the second quarter came from a really wide kick that he marked on the boundary that I doubt Cordy/Roberts would stop, a long kick to a one o one where he had a major advantage of positioning that they may have stopped, and a mark where he ran ahead of the contest and marked uncontested.

One of his goals in the last was definitely from the play where Hawkins outran Williams and then passed to Taylor on his own. And was the other from the idiotic Adams play?

I am happy we didn't sacrifice a runner to play on him. Maybe Suckling but only because he was typically unimpressive. I am always in favour of backing in the team defence though and running with a more mobile defence. Neither Roberts or Cordy would have made a significant difference on more than one of his goals, and would've struggled to assist us offensively.

Besides usually those 5 shots would result in 3 goals tops. With his form this year we could have realistically expected no goals from him, regardless of how many shots he had.

Our defence worked defensively, they had few easy shots and it provided a lot of rebound, second quarter aside. We were screwed over because:
    a) They were unstoppable in the second quarter
    b) They were unstoppable out of the middle in the last when it mattered
    c) They kicked as straight as they ever have, especially Taylor

7. Likes always right liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When Harry Taylor kicks 5 straight from set shots, it's not your night. He's barely had a kick for a month.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fascinated with the declarations that we played one key defender short. I'm struggling to think of more than one example where a key defender might have been able to prevent a goal from being kicked. The only thing I might concede is that it would have given us the flexibility to move Adams forward (or Roberts/Cordy if they played). Mind you Adams did a great job on Hawkins so it would have been a case of Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure that's the phrase you want to use regarding Morris? He's not poor against taller players but he is more effective against the mids and smaller types.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I'm fascinated with the declarations that we played one key defender short. I'm struggling to think of more than one example where a key defender might have been able to prevent a goal from being kicked. The only thing I might concede is that it would have given us the flexibility to move Adams forward (or Roberts/Cordy if they played). Mind you Adams did a great job on Hawkins so it would have been a case of Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    I'm with you. Don't see how it helps. And if we felt like we would need Adams up forward, why would we pick both Cloke and Redpath? If you want the option of that flexibility Cordy plays instead of one of them, not as well as them.

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are you sure that's the phrase you want to use regarding Morris? He's not poor against taller players but he is more effective against the mids and smaller types.
    yes that is what I am saying
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Still not sold on throwing Adams or Cordy up forward. Redpath and Cloke should have been big enough. The fact Bont seemed to play full forward for half the match with two defenders was confusing knowing this, but I don't see how bringing in another immobile tall helps that scenario.
    Our defensive problem over the last few weeks has been the midfield and forwards haven't been working hard enough to keep the ball out of defencei reckon. We look under siege a lot and we have become too easy to score against.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Our defensive problem over the last few weeks has been the midfield and forwards haven't been working hard enough to keep the ball out of defencei reckon. We look under siege a lot and we have become too easy to score against.
    Up until this round we were the only team not to have conceeded 100 pts in a game... which is now over as Geelong kicked 104.. This included about 12 straight from set shots and about 4 goals completely out of their arse.

Agree that our forwards and mids aren't working hard enough, but we are still a hard team to score against.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Up until this round we were the only team not to have conceeded 100 pts in a game... which is now over as Geelong kicked 104.. This included about 12 straight from set shots and about 4 goals completely out of their arse.

Agree that our forwards and mids aren't working hard enough, but we are still a hard team to score against.
    Bevo mentioned on radio that Geelong only took 7 marks inside 50, and was firm on the view that tall defenders were not one of our issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Bevo mentioned on radio that Geelong only took 7 marks inside 50, and was firm on the view that tall defenders were not one of our issues.
    I agree - Geelong breaking too many tackles in the middle of the ground wouldn't be helped by adding a tall defender in the mix, although for this week I'd consider one even though the Saints are super-quick in their F50 because they have more tall options than Geelong.
    Riewoldt has been playing closer to goal, Membrey is dangerous on the lead even if he isn't modern KPP height (more Morris height) and they'll play McCartin again who is the exact type of player we've traditionally played into form (we've given Darcy Moore 5 goals, we have a habit of this).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers