Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  54
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Labor promise Western Bulldogs will play two games in Ballarat every season

Agree Webby that GWS or GC make more sense. While it should be great for Ballarat to have a venue like that currently from what I'm reading it won't be quite what we need. I hope it's not a case of us having to prove we can fill it before they build something bigger.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Agree Webby that GWS or GC make more sense. While it should be great for Ballarat to have a venue like that currently from what I'm reading it won't be quite what we need. I hope it's not a case of us having to prove we can fill it before they build something bigger.
    Also if there are only one or two games per year, why spend say 60 million (instead of the current 30) just for those few games.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Also if there are only one or two games per year, why spend say 60 million (instead of the current 30) just for those few games.
    I think the point I'm making is that I don't see the sense of building something we will grow out of in season one. Whatever way we dress this up a venue that asks people to commute from Melbourne to just isn't viable for us if it only holds 11,000 people.

I don't believe it would cost another 30m to turn this into a 18k stadium in fact to just enclose the ground without a lot of seating would probably be less than another 10m.

I just don't see why they are planning to 3 quarter complete the stadium

4. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the point I'm making is that I don't see the sense of building something we will grow out of in season one. Whatever way we dress this up a venue that asks people to commute from Melbourne to just isn't viable for us if it only holds 11,000 people.

I don't believe it would cost another 30m to turn this into a 18k stadium in fact to just enclose the ground without a lot of seating would probably be less than another 10m.

I just don't see why they are planning to 3 quarter complete the stadium
    Only just saw this. 11,000 capacity! Quite ridiculous.

I thought this initiative was going to be a good thing. Its now starting to sound and smell bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Only just saw this. 11,000 capacity! Quite ridiculous.

I thought this initiative was going to be a good thing. Its now starting to sound and smell bad.
    This is only the first phase of the re-development. Not sure how many phases there will be but I'm sure there will be more than one..

Post Thanks / Like

The Ballarat City Council is currently studying the stages two and three of development of the stadium precinct in accordance with the Ballarat Major Events Precinct Master Plan, although these stages are not yet funded.[4] Stages two and three are planned to include the construction of two more grandstands as well as ongoing development of surrounding infrastructure. When completed the stadium will seat approximately 13000-15000 spectators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Stadium

Post Thanks / Like

The Ballarat Bulldogs? Well at least it's still in the west!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I read that Peter Gordon is very confident we will play one game there in 2017 with an outside chance of 2. You would have to suspect that it would be 2 games a year from 2018.

Perhaps the devil is in the detail but a stadium of just 11K seems way too small for us now.

Post Thanks / Like

If the stadium only holds 11,000 you would assume that it would be filled with bulldog diehards. I thought the purpose of Ballarat was to try and get locals / neutrals in as supporters and members, but if there is not tickets available to actually go to the game how are we meant to draw them in?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    If the stadium only holds 11,000 you would assume that it would be filled with bulldog diehards. I thought the purpose of Ballarat was to try and get locals / neutrals in as supporters and members, but if there is not tickets available to actually go to the game how are we meant to draw them in?
    I don't think that will change but it will likely mean less tickets being available for current members.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive my complete ignorance on this issue. How do we make lots of money playing 2 home games to a Spotless Stadium type crowd in regional Victoria while our members stay home?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

There seems to be some confusion over this, but my understanding is that the 11,000 capacity is for the first stage of development to be completed in time for 2017.

As more stages are completed over the coming years, the capacity will increase. It really needs to get to hold 15,000-20,000 to include Bulldogs members and some local neutrals.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Forgive my complete ignorance on this issue. How do we make lots of money playing 2 home games to a Spotless Stadium type crowd in regional Victoria while our members stay home?
    I'm assuming Ballarat Council/State Government coughs up some dough.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm assuming Ballarat Council/State Government coughs up some dough.
    To the venue they are. But also to us?

And what of replacement games for members if we can't get in?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    There seems to be some confusion over this, but my understanding is that the 11,000 capacity is for the first stage of development to be completed in time for 2017.

As more stages are completed over the coming years, the capacity will increase. It really needs to get to hold 15,000-20,000 to include Bulldogs members and some local neutrals.
    11K next year I think is the issue and it might be 2 game sin 2018 in a stadium that holds less than 14K.