Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  39
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 9, 2017 - Geelong V Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I agree - Geelong breaking too many tackles in the middle of the ground wouldn't be helped by adding a tall defender in the mix, although for this week I'd consider one even though the Saints are super-quick in their F50 because they have more tall options than Geelong.
    Riewoldt has been playing closer to goal, Membrey is dangerous on the lead even if he isn't modern KPP height (more Morris height) and they'll play McCartin again who is the exact type of player we've traditionally played into form (we've given Darcy Moore 5 goals, we have a habit of this).
    So much this. It was one after the other. And it seems to be a bit of a trend this year with us. We seem to tackle the waist like a little kid holding on to a big kid but don't lock an arm. We make the tackle, and most times stick it, but can't bring them to ground and allow the arms to be free to give a handball off. It's very frustrating because the effort is basically for nothing. There were at least a dozen times this happened friday night.

Post Thanks / Like

In simple terms, we are constantly the hunted and rarely the hunter this year.

You watch the TV and we feel regularly out-numbered, be it in a literal sense or through the pressure that opposition sides are bringing.

Sticking to simplistic terms - and we know there's much more to it than this - we need to find a way to shift back into the 'hunter'.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - Geelong breaking too many tackles in the middle of the ground wouldn't be helped by adding a tall defender in the mix, although for this week I'd consider one even though the Saints are super-quick in their F50 because they have more tall options than Geelong.
    Riewoldt has been playing closer to goal, Membrey is dangerous on the lead even if he isn't modern KPP height (more Morris height) and they'll play McCartin again who is the exact type of player we've traditionally played into form (we've given Darcy Moore 5 goals, we have a habit of this).
    I guess what to do about Riewoldt is the question.
    Adams and Morris are both suitable match ups for McCartin - with an ideal scenario being that Morris plays on Membrey. Its whether or not one of those plays taller on Riewoldt, or whether we back those two plus Wood to handle the three marking forwards.

Does Bevo just back Easton Wood to go with Riewoldt when he is higher up, and Adams to take him when he is deep forward?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I guess what to do about Riewoldt is the question.
    Adams and Morris are both suitable match ups for McCartin - with an ideal scenario being that Morris plays on Membrey. Its whether or not one of those plays taller on Riewoldt, or whether we back those two plus Wood to handle the three marking forwards.

Does Bevo just back Easton Wood to go with Riewoldt when he is higher up, and Adams to take him when he is deep forward?
    I would prefer Morris on Membrey, otherwise McCartin will kick 10 on Morris. Morris does not have the capacity to compete in the air. Adams to pick up McCartin.

I don't know enough about the Saints and whether they have a tall resting ruckman or not? Bruce played in the reserves on the weekend and was thrashed by Liam Jones, with Liam having 26 disposals at Fullback, so I doubt he will come back in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think one of Cordy or Roberts has to play this week.. preferably Cordy who is limited physically like Roberts is.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy wasn't flash Saturday.
    Last edited by jeemak; 22-05-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

"McCartin will kick 10 on Morris"

Now I've heard it all!!

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    "McCartin will kick 10 on Morris"

Now I've heard it all!!
    Agree....we're talking about a bloke struggling for form up against the greatest defender this club has ever seen. Bit of respect please.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Agree....we're talking about a bloke struggling for form up against the greatest defender this club has ever seen. Bit of respect please.
    Morris is one of my all time favourites, but I recognise his limitations when he is mis-matched against someone.

Give the guy a break by matching him on someone his own size.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Morris is one of my all time favourites, but I recognise his limitations when he is mis-matched against someone.

Give the guy a break by matching him on someone his own size.
    McCartin is no absolute monster at 194cms. Only 3 cms taller than Morris. But I wouldn't expect the players to stay on one man all game - they rarely ever do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would prefer Morris on Membrey, otherwise McCartin will kick 10 on Morris. Morris does not have the capacity to compete in the air. Adams to pick up McCartin.

I don't know enough about the Saints and whether they have a tall resting ruckman or not? Bruce played in the reserves on the weekend and was thrashed by Liam Jones, with Liam having 26 disposals at Fullback, so I doubt he will come back in.
    McCartin will kick 10? On Morris? He'd be stoked if he got 3 on the great man.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    McCartin will kick 10? On Morris? He'd be stoked if he got 3 on the great man.
    Do you really think I would say that if I was serious, I was emphasising a point.

Post Thanks / Like

Why wasn't menegola done for holding the ball in the last quarter. He picked it up ran three steps was tackled and dropped the ball. Hawkins picked it up dummies Daniel and kicks to someone and they get a goal. We got robbed a few times in the game. I realise now how far the home ground advantage has gone. Not only is it familiar surroundings but it's favourable umpires decisions or lack of decisions more like it that give the home team such an advantage. dam hard to win away because of crowd decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Also thought the Cloke decision was a bit harsh but can't abuse an umpire anymore. It was the none decision on Dangerfield taking out Webbs legs the play before Selwood picked up the ball that we got robbed again. Webb ended up flipping over Dangerfields back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Up until this round we were the only team not to have conceeded 100 pts in a game... which is now over as Geelong kicked 104.. This included about 12 straight from set shots and about 4 goals completely out of their arse.

Agree that our forwards and mids aren't working hard enough, but we are still a hard team to score against.
    Yeah, you're right. It's funny how perception colours your view. We must have been bloody hard to score against last year. It does seem like the opposition have periods when they are on top where they kick lots of goals consecutively. That didn't seem to happen so much last year.

What is really missing this year is our desperation to just keep moving the ball forward whether by hand or foot, just keep moving it forward by hacking and kicking and pushing the ball. We get bogged down a lot. Maybe the stupid third man up rule is stopping us from knocking it clear from congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So much this. It was one after the other. And it seems to be a bit of a trend this year with us. We seem to tackle the waist like a little kid holding on to a big kid but don't lock an arm. We make the tackle, and most times stick it, but can't bring them to ground and allow the arms to be free to give a handball off. It's very frustrating because the effort is basically for nothing. There were at least a dozen times this happened friday night.
    Yep. It's frustrating because it's not like we aren't working hard. We just can't get the last part of the eqauation right. It's a bit like watching Jongy pick up the ball, run 25 metres away from the stoppage with it and then handball it straight to an opponent standing 5 metres away.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite