Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  46
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bob's 300th - Ideas for recognition & packing the joint out.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Morris will be the captain.
    And rightly so.

I can't really describe how I feel about this. I think if you asked every player in the league who the best bloke on the game is he'd have to be top three. It's totally unjust that he's the guy this happens to, and at this stage in his career too.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    And rightly so.

I can't really describe how I feel about this. I think if you asked every player in the league who the best bloke on the game is he'd have to be top three. It's totally unjust that he's the guy this happens to, and at this stage in his career too.
    Sometimes it can be the cruelist game in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

He deserves his 300 flag at the Footscray End.

Dear Bob. Get rest. Have surgery. Start rehab. Play 5+ games as our captain next year as we attack the finals as 'the threat'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Eastdog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Bevo said they're expecting the worst. We can only keep our fingers crossed now.
    Hmmmm not good hearing that. Bob knows how one feels and the Docs know one when they prod around. The scan will confirm but I saw Bob shake his head and mutter its gone and I assume it's gone.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I console myself is this. Each year a team will have a certain number of very serious injuries like that, and Bob took ours for the team. It's the only way I can think about it without feeling depressed.
    It's heart-breaking. My memory goes back to Tommy Williams and his jumper hand-over. Enjoy the moment, because it might be your last.

If Hawks fans were laying into him while he lay on the ground - disgraceful.

I can well understand why some people hate football.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it is very sobering to wake up and feel like that might've been Bob's final foray in the tricolours. He has lived that motto, of extracting every moment out of the game but I just can't stomach the thought of him not a) being our drought breaking skipper, b) making 300 games and c) retiring on his own terms.

Flat as a tack.

Post Thanks / Like

Stevo tweeted this morning that he expects Bob to go for full operation and return in 2017 and he'd planned on playing on anyway.

9. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the silver lining right there.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It's a big call going on for another year after a full knee reco....particularly at his age. He deserves to go out on his terms but I hope this decision is being made with the head...not the heart.

Feeling pretty flat today...about Bob.....and the impact on our chances this year. Big psychological hit for the team that could go two ways...it either galvanizes the group or breaks it.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling pretty flat also. I managed to crack my phone screen and make my 6 year old cry from cursing at the TV once Bob went down yesterday & with Sicily then kicking the goal ... mother of the year

Certainly no fairy tales in footy, if we hadn't already accepted that, this 100% confirms it.

Just heard on SEN that it's looking like a definite ACL and Bob will be taking the full 12 months for his recovery. *sigh*

I would love to know how we can get in touch with Murph with letters of support, I'm sure we could just email the club. Hope he has been reading how the entire AFL world is saddened, and wishing him all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we please close this thread down and no offence BT also delete it.

It makes me sad every time I see it...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Likes Mantis, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob's wiry frame has given this club every molecule. I felt sad at first but now, I realize you can't expect so much of the human body. What else can we ask? I'm grateful for what he's given us but it's an opportunity for us.
    The experience that a newcomer gets may be the difference between a premiership and not in the future.

If you read some of the names of the blokes he started with it's incredible to think of the time length.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 11-04-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to close this thread, burn it, put it in a box, burn the box, put that in a hole, light the hole on fire and then bury what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton supporter at work saw me today and gave me his sincere condolences.
    He said there are not many players in the AFL that have the respect and admiration of the whole footy public.
    He was even more disappointed for him when I told him he was on 295 games.
    Sometimes you feel very proud to be a Bulldog.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo wants him to play on next year. So do we. I hope Bob does too.