Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs push for Friday night

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    More interesting (even if they're less attended) games would make for a better spectacle on TV and generate higher ratings=pay more for TV rights. Friday night games would present more value to the AFL because of the ratings they bring in rather than attendances at those games. Wouldn't that generate more money?

And wouldn't the Carlton-Collingwood game be likely to get as many spectators on a Saturday arvo as on a Friday Night?

Then I've no idea what you're trying to day.
    This isn't a crack at you, but you just reminded me of a Martin/Molloy Sketch from their radio show years ago.

It was a 60 minutes 'forum' on Youth Unemployment run by the late Richard Carleton. After a few minutes of booing, Peter Reith and some random from the audience saying 'National Shame', Rich pops a bottle of champagne and says to the audience "Oh, you people can all go now, we've got enough for the promo. Even if they switch over to The Simpsons after 20 minutes the points go to us. Cheers!"

My point being that TV ratings don't tell the full story, as much as the AFL might like to tell us otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the North v Essendon match on Friday night. It was the second time these two teams have played each other on a Friday night in the space of about 8 weeks.

As it was an Essendon away game...there didn't seem to be many of their supporters in attendance. The atmosphere felt pretty lackluster to me.

Post Thanks / Like

23000 tonight for Essendon Port at Etihad. It's not just the Bulldogs who don't pull big crowds, it's just the "big" clubs don't get 8 home games a season against interstate teams.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

4. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    23000 tonight for Essendon Port at Etihad. It's not just the Bulldogs who don't pull big crowds, it's just the "big" clubs don't get 8 home games a season against interstate teams.
    40,000 today at our match I was told

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    40,000 today at our match I was told

Gordon announced before the game that Dogs and Pies want a permanent round one fixture at the MCG and will approach the AFL jointly on the concept.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Well pretty much impossible for the AFL not to give us Friday night games now no matter how much they try and spin it.
    40,000 at a home game on a Sunday arvo against a side that's 11th.
    Bring back the biff

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post