Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs start work on possibility of bringing AFL games back to the Whitten Oval

Link

THE Western Bulldogs will start work on the possibility of bringing AFL football back to the Whitten Oval in the wake of Saturday’s successful NAB Challenge match.

The Dogs accommodated a crowd of 9500 when they hosted Richmond in the pre-season clash.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon told the Herald Sun much development would be needed to get the ground up to scratch for a premiership match, but it was something he would love to see happen.

“I was thrilled with how the venue came up on the weekend and since the Smith Stand on the eastern side of the ground came down 10 years ago the TV now has a beautiful view of the city skyline and of Footscray,” Gordon said.

“It showed off the city of Maribyrnong to tremendous effect.
    “I would love to consider the prospect of being able to fixture some home games for the future for the Bulldogs at the Victoria University Whitten Oval.
    “I have to say for emotional reasons, but also business growth reasons, I do think it is something we ought to be considering and it is something that our board will begin to consider in 2015.”

The Dogs have not played an AFL match at Whitten Oval since 1997, when almost 27,000 fans watched them beat the West Coast Eagles.

Former skipper Scott Wynd leads the Bulldogs out on Whitten Oval for the last time in 1997. Picture: Darren Tindale

Gordon said he had not had any serious talks with the AFL about the prospect of a return of home-and-away games.
    He said there had been big infrastructure improvements to enable the Footscray VFL side to use the venue and for it became a base for women’s and junior football.
    “We have got a couple of million dollars of funding that we got from the state government and Maribyrnong council and from the AFL and indeed a significant amount of money that we raised from our own members last year, which enabled us to build new change rooms for the opposition, new coaches’ boxes, and umpires’ boxes and timekeepers’ boxes which are state of the art (and) built in compliance with AFL standards.

“We are slated to get new lights later this year and a new electronic scoreboard which will have a live action facility to it.”

The new West Footscray station would also be an asset, Gordon said.
    But he acknowledged the ground would have to be developed to accommodate enough seating for at least 6000 reserved ticket holders and more amenities — such as public toilets would have to be built.

“These thing take time, with tenders and raising the money and all of those sort of things — as well as convincing the AFL.

“Not only do we not have enough seats, we really struggled to cope with demands of public facilities like toilets.
    “But speaking personally I do think something was lost in the loss of the suburban ground and it doesn’t mean every suburban ground needs to get resurrected (but) with the unique history of the Bulldogs and the fact that we have been playing there since the mid-1870s, and how well the oval looked at the weekend and how well it was received by both clubs — then I think it is something that ought to be put on the drawing board for future discussions.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs start work on possibility of bringing AFL games back to the Whitten Oval

The ground is miles off from being a viable AFL venue.. If the AFL, government or private sector want to pay for it then fine, but I wouldn't be spending our money on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs start work on possibility of bringing AFL games back to the Whitten Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The ground is miles off from being a viable AFL venue.. If the AFL, government or private sector want to pay for it then fine, but I wouldn't be spending our money on it.
    I have to agree. There's no way we'd be allowed more than 2 games there a year and keeping our Ballarat pledge. Far too a high an investment for 2 games unless it's not our money.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bring footy back to the people. The way it should be. I like the idea very much.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never going to happen.

But its perfect for VFL and that's enough for me.
    The curse is dead.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This just makes me cringe. So are we trying to play games in Ballarat, Whitten Oval, or build our supporter base to the point we're selling out Etihad? Or is it all 3?

We're starting to sound like the AFL's other perennial nomads Norf.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Never going to happen.

But its perfect for VFL and that's enough for me.
    They said that about NAB cup games. But you're right it's just right for VFL purposes. Besides we already have an AFL stadium that we can't seem to pay for.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer to take a more optimistic view on this. My ideal concept wouldn't see the club having to try and fund a major upgrade but more a pool of money being gathered from various sources including grants. The venue might only be used by us for maybe two H&A games per year but I think you could also make the case for it to be used by other Melbourne clubs for perhaps one or two games each per season against low drawing interstate teams. Almost like a boutique stadium scenario. Combine this with the ground being a VFL hub and also used for Women's football and I think it has the potential to be a revenue creating stadium. If anything, I applaud the club for continuing to look for ways to create alternative revenue and growth streams. I might be speaking with a small sense of bias but when I look at our business model and opportunities in comparison to Melb, North and St Kilda, I know who I'd rather be on. Make no mistake, North Melbourne's plight is very much disguised by it's current period of relative success on the field. Melbourne don't have the luxury of the existing infrastructure that we have and I'm not certain about St Kilda but they seem to be too busy trying to work out where they want to train etc.

We are doing remarkably well as a club despite the fact that we have dropped down the ladder at the worst possible time. This gives me great optimism that once we are successful on-field, our plans will gather some momentum.

11. Likes ratsmac, Drunken Bum, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The idea really pulls on the heart strings doesn't it. Yeah 2 games a year sounds like it's not enough to spend millions of $$$. It's the age old debate but it doesn't make sense spending that sort of coin when the afl will buy Etihad stadium in the coming years.
    Still I would love this to happen!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    I'd prefer to take a more optimistic view on this. My ideal concept wouldn't see the club having to try and fund a major upgrade but more a pool of money being gathered from various sources including grants. The venue might only be used by us for maybe two H&A games per year but I think you could also make the case for it to be used by other Melbourne clubs for perhaps one or two games each per season against low drawing interstate teams. Almost like a boutique stadium scenario. Combine this with the ground being a VFL hub and also used for Women's football and I think it has the potential to be a revenue creating stadium. If anything, I applaud the club for continuing to look for ways to create alternative revenue and growth streams. I might be speaking with a small sense of bias but when I look at our business model and opportunities in comparison to Melb, North and St Kilda, I know who I'd rather be on. Make no mistake, North Melbourne's plight is very much disguised by it's current period of relative success on the field. Melbourne don't have the luxury of the existing infrastructure that we have and I'm not certain about St Kilda but they seem to be too busy trying to work out where they want to train etc.

We are doing remarkably well as a club despite the fact that we have dropped down the ladder at the worst possible time. This gives me great optimism that once we are successful on-field, our plans will gather some momentum.
    The trouble is the amount of money required to bring this stadium up to AFL standard probably runs into the $30 to $50 million dollars. In the end is it really worth it when Eithad is sitting there.

What we need to do is make Eithad work, financially. We need a proper stadium deal, we need to get people to the game.

Have a look at these attendance figures for games over 35k. Amazing what on field success can do.

Season 2006
    Desc Opponent Venue Attendance
    Round 21 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 47120
    Round 4 Geelong Etihad Stadium 45922
    Round 3 Essendon Etihad Stadium 43947
    Round 1 Richmond Etihad Stadium 43532
    Round 22 Essendon Etihad Stadium 42956
    Round 6 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 42760
    Round 16 Geelong Etihad Stadium 39417
    Season 2007
    Round 8 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 46990
    Round 15 Essendon Etihad Stadium 45283
    Round 16 Geelong Etihad Stadium 44688
    Round 1 Geelong Etihad Stadium 42626
    Round 3 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 38474
    Season 2008
    Round 4 Essendon Etihad Stadium 47641
    Round 13 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 44885
    Round 11 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 38914
    Round 3 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 38667
    Round 17 Carlton Etihad Stadium 37879
    Round 5 Richmond Etihad Stadium 37767
    Round 21 Essendon Etihad Stadium 37294
    Season 2009
    Round 15 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 51382
    Round 22 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 48888
    Round 16 Essendon Etihad Stadium 47120
    Round 21 Geelong Etihad Stadium 46818
    Round 3 Richmond Etihad Stadium 46261
    Round 17 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 45082
    Round 9 Geelong Etihad Stadium 44620
    Round 5 Carlton Etihad Stadium 44268
    Round 14 Hawthorn Etihad Stadium 36827
    Round 11 Richmond Etihad Stadium 36483
    Round 6 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 36302
    Season 2010
    Round 1 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 49000
    Round 10 Essendon Etihad Stadium 45742
    Round 6 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 43072
    Round 20 Geelong Etihad Stadium 42199
    Round 11 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 40813
    Round 15 Carlton Etihad Stadium 37517
    Round 3 Hawthorn Etihad Stadium 35933

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Thanks F'scary thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The trouble is the amount of money required to bring this stadium up to AFL standard probably runs into the $30 to $50 million dollars. In the end is it really worth it when Eithad is sitting there.

What we need to do is make Eithad work, financially. We need a proper stadium deal, we need to get people to the game.

Have a look at these attendance figures for games over 35k. Amazing what on field success can do.

Season 2006
    Desc Opponent Venue Attendance
    Round 21 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 47120
    Round 4 Geelong Etihad Stadium 45922
    Round 3 Essendon Etihad Stadium 43947
    Round 1 Richmond Etihad Stadium 43532
    Round 22 Essendon Etihad Stadium 42956
    Round 6 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 42760
    Round 16 Geelong Etihad Stadium 39417
    Season 2007
    Round 8 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 46990
    Round 15 Essendon Etihad Stadium 45283
    Round 16 Geelong Etihad Stadium 44688
    Round 1 Geelong Etihad Stadium 42626
    Round 3 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 38474
    Season 2008
    Round 4 Essendon Etihad Stadium 47641
    Round 13 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 44885
    Round 11 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 38914
    Round 3 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 38667
    Round 17 Carlton Etihad Stadium 37879
    Round 5 Richmond Etihad Stadium 37767
    Round 21 Essendon Etihad Stadium 37294
    Season 2009
    Round 15 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 51382
    Round 22 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 48888
    Round 16 Essendon Etihad Stadium 47120
    Round 21 Geelong Etihad Stadium 46818
    Round 3 Richmond Etihad Stadium 46261
    Round 17 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 45082
    Round 9 Geelong Etihad Stadium 44620
    Round 5 Carlton Etihad Stadium 44268
    Round 14 Hawthorn Etihad Stadium 36827
    Round 11 Richmond Etihad Stadium 36483
    Round 6 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 36302
    Season 2010
    Round 1 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 49000
    Round 10 Essendon Etihad Stadium 45742
    Round 6 St Kilda Etihad Stadium 43072
    Round 20 Geelong Etihad Stadium 42199
    Round 11 Collingwood Etihad Stadium 40813
    Round 15 Carlton Etihad Stadium 37517
    Round 3 Hawthorn Etihad Stadium 35933
    Great post mate,

It's funny how the answer to most club related financial issues always comes back to the simple fact that when the team is winning games, the people will come! You're right about the amount of money needed to bring the stadium up to scratch and I guess that's why my vision would need to see it become a multi-use boutique stadium to firstly attract the right amount of capital to develop and secondly to make it sustainable to justify the investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    The idea really pulls on the heart strings doesn't it. Yeah 2 games a year sounds like it's not enough to spend millions of $$$. It's the age old debate but it doesn't make sense spending that sort of coin when the afl will buy Etihad stadium in the coming years.
    Still I would love this to happen!
    It's a conundrum for sure.

It's not helped by the fact the ground is kind of half and half at the moment. It's half a stadium on one side and nothing really on the other.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's a conundrum for sure.

It's not helped by the fact the ground is kind of half and half at the moment. It's half a stadium on one side and nothing really on the other.
    Also the Training Centre is not exactly in a good spot for a stadium

Post Thanks / Like

**WARNING: Simplistic view ahead**

Having been to Manuka, but not Darwin or Cairns, how different are they?
    If the AFL deems those grounds suitable, surely there's not that much work to do? Chuck some seating above the ELC and Geelong Rd end, keep the Hawkins Wing as standing only.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Darwin and the only thing it has over the WO is a larger stand. The other facilities are piss poor in all honesty.