Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: smaller stadium would help AFL clubs make a profit

Any new venue will need to have a playing surface large enough to replicate Etihad as a minimum (though more room around the flanks via a more circular format would be preferable), and it would be best if it had a roof as well.

The latter is a pipe dream, though the Whitten Oval is a horrible place for football simply because of the wind, and any move away from a roofed venue to Whitten Oval would immediately see complaints about comfort become more prevalent than any compliments about atmosphere and affordability. If folk from the east can't be bothered getting to Docklands, you can be sure as shit they won't come to Footscray for a windy and wet day at the footy.

Essentially PG is angling for either a better stadium deal to be negotiated, or a chance at the AFL buying the venue sooner rather than later so we don't do our balls each time we play there.

It's nothing more than that.

2. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Essentially PG is angling for either a better stadium deal to be negotiated, or a chance at the AFL buying the venue sooner rather than later so we don't do our balls each time we play there.

It's nothing more than that.
    Spot on Jeemak
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Etihad Stadium is small enough....we really need the AFL to stop wasting money in Western Sydney & on the Gold Coast and buy the stadium early.

For games with small attendances close off level 3 and make level 1 behind each goals general admission.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Etihad Stadium is small enough....we really need the AFL to stop wasting money in Western Sydney & on the Gold Coast and buy the stadium early.

For games with small attendances close off level 3 and make level 1 behind each goals general admission.
    Yep that's the problem the AFL has plenty of money to help in Victoria but they choose to help more in New South Wales and Queensland which while now we have to accept today it's a national competition and that's what there going to do but they are not AFL states much like SA and WA aren't NRL States and those states don't have NRL teams and yet NSW and QLD have now 2 AFL teams each.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Like they did for the VFL Grand Final last year. In the end they had to go open L3 due to the size of the crowd but a heap of us on the bottom two levels is the best atmosphere I've seen.

Winning the flag helped with the atmosphere heaps too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All grounds can have had good and bad atmosphere at times. Its what the supporters do to make the atmosphere a great example as Twodogs brought up was the VFL Grand Final last year at Etihad.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, also work on low margins, so reduce the cost of a ticket but get more people in. Open up the catering to more caterers that can compete with each other. Have multicultural food outlets like Kebabs, Indian Food, etc that can produce good food at reasonable prices.

I would also cut back Medallion Club and allow more people into level 2. It is usually empty for most games
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree, also work on low margins, so reduce the cost of a ticket but get more people in. Open up the catering to more caterers that can compete with each other. Have multicultural food outlets like Kebabs, Indian Food, etc that can produce good food at reasonable prices.

I would also cut back Medallion Club and allow more people into level 2. It is usually empty for most games
    What a magnificent idea.

A really great aspect of one particular festival I attend is the quality of the food offerings. If you want your crap you can get it, but if you want some diversity and quality choice it's available and plentiful at a reasonable price. You could rotate vendors through particular points of the ground to provide some variety to the punters.

My brother went to the G last night for the RM/MC game and was astonished by how bad the food was (he doesn't attend many sporting events - mainly because he is more jaded and critical of everything than I am). Having not had dinner after work before getting to the game he was forced to choose from something in the Ponsford Stand and was completely disgusted by what was on offer and the prices.