Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Betezy and the Western Bulldogs – a winning quinella

We all have choices in life, I choose not to gamble, well not seriously anyway.
    It is an illness, the Bulldogs did not cause the illness nor did any other club who derive revenue this way.
    I choose to drink in moderation (younger days excluded). I have had friends who are alcoholics, they chose it, it did not choose them. Sometimes we have to take responsibility of our lives and not blame others......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    We all have choices in life, I choose not to gamble, well not seriously anyway.
    It is an illness, the Bulldogs did not cause the illness nor did any other club who derive revenue this way.
    I choose to drink in moderation (younger days excluded). I have had friends who are alcoholics, they chose it, it did not choose them. Sometimes we have to take responsibility of our lives and not blame others......
    Well said. To many people choose to point fingers rather than take resonsibility in todays society. I'll disagree on one thing gambling is not an illness. I don't think anything is when you have a choice to say yes or no. I'd be more inclined to call it stupidity rather than an illness. Probably sounds harsh to some but thats the way I feel about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just being a troll. Sort of. People are so willing to condemn others for their own gain.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Well said. To many people choose to point fingers rather than take resonsibility in todays society. I'll disagree on one thing gambling is not an illness. I don't think anything is when you have a choice to say yes or no. I'd be more inclined to call it stupidity rather than an illness. Probably sounds harsh to some but thats the way I feel about it.

When you become addicted to it, I think it is an illness

Post Thanks / Like

When you become addicted to it, I think it is an illness

As is any addiction
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

We all have choices in life
    Do children of those who have become gambling addicts have a choice?

I agree that the addicted gambler needs to take responsibility, they can't just say "I saw it on the Buldogs shorts, it is their fault".

But there is a point where gambling becomes an illness, not a pastime, and it is at this point where the choices made are not going to be rational. Just ask Ben Cousins.

I do believe you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. The sponsorship aims to increase their account holders, increase the amount of bets they receive and will inevitably increase cases of problem gamblers.

I think the Western Bulldogs have a responsibility to contribute some of the money they are earning and put it into education, prevention of problem gambling and rehabilitation. Otherwise they have got a bit of blood on their hands.

Post Thanks / Like

I am referring to people with addictions having a choice. There is no mention of the innocent children.

Post Thanks / Like

I am referring to people with addictions having a choice. There is no mention of the innocent children.
    I know you were but what I was trying to point out is that it affects more than just "adults who should be able to make their own decisions".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I know you were but what I was trying to point out is that it affects more than just "adults who should be able to make their own decisions".
    You could also argue then that the children of alcoholics are adversely affected, but alcohol doesn't seem to be as 'on the nose' as gambling. Both are legal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    You could also argue then that the children of alcoholics are adversely affected, but alcohol doesn't seem to be as 'on the nose' as gambling. Both are legal.
    Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I would argue that, I totally agree. I also think that companies, clubs etc that make a profit from alcohol are responsible for contributing to alcohol programs in their community, just as I feel they should with gambling.

You can't eat your cake and expect it not to go to your arse too. Promoting alcohol, gambling etc will lead to problems for a minority, it is naive to think otherwise.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 13-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.