Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs finalise 2015 leadership group

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    The Mo must go. Looks absurd.
    on your avatar - nah looks great
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy played a season with one functional arm, I will allow him a dodgy mo.

3. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    The guy played a season with one functional arm, I will allow him a dodgy mo.
    Would rather have watched Roberts or down back last year,The amount of goals that were kicked on him in the second half of the year playing with one arm was nearly as absurd as the mo he is wearing, playing with one arm is hardly a reason to look silly when representing the club.

Post Thanks / Like

He does look quite silly.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    on your avatar - nah looks great
    Basil's mo did look silly, but I wouldn't be game enough to tell him!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    2 excellent young individuals who bleed red, white and blue in Roughy and Libba with some experience from Morris and Boyd who have been fantastic servants. Very happy with this news. I really don't put much into "leadership" groups but with guys like Roughy and Libba in their shows they're the guys next in line which I think will be a very important role in 2 - 3 years time. I thought Wallis may have been apart of it as well.
    Yep, agreed. Spontaneous drug issues or personal grooming issues notwithstanding it seems we've gone for two players that have the respect of the playing group.

Which leads me to my next point.....can anyone in this day and age seriously be so shallow as to worry about how a guy's facial hair might ruin promotional photos, or even matter in the slightest? We're at a point where many players - most likely from our club - decide to grow moustaches from time to time without it affecting their performances. Coinciding with that, we probably have a few more players than we'd like to admit who would...........

Get over it. The generations coming through are different to how many of us (especially me, I never had a Roughy shaved moustache) were in year's gone by and have a different attitude towards a lot of other things.

8. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the mo - very Bavarian.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, agreed. Spontaneous drug issues or personal grooming issues notwithstanding it seems we've gone for two players that have the respect of the playing group.

Which leads me to my next point.....can anyone in this day and age seriously be so shallow as to worry about how a guy's facial hair might ruin promotional photos, or even matter in the slightest? We're at a point where many players - most likely from our club - decide to grow moustaches from time to time without it affecting their performances. Coinciding with that, we probably have a few more players than we'd like to admit who would...........

Get over it. The generations coming through are different to how many of us (especially me, I never had a Roughy shaved moustache) were in year's gone by and have a different attitude towards a lot of other things.
    Agreed, who cares, it's not like he's got a neck tattoo. Two of the greatest players of all time in Leigh Matthews and Gary Ablett Senior sported moustaches during their career, didn't seem hurt their performance too much.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean really who gives a flying about his facial hair

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Agreed, who cares, it's not like he's got a neck tattoo. Two of the greatest players of all time in Leigh Matthews and Gary Ablett Senior sported moustaches during their career, didn't seem hurt their performance too much.

There are a few reasons military and police departments around the globe adopt a grooming policy. Partly for hygienic reasons living in such close proximity to one another, partly to remain as anonymous as possible. But the main reason is to take away individuality, by following the rules they will achieve their collective cause which is greater than the individual's. An individual does not run onto a beach and up a cliff face under heavy fire, but a soldier does. I also think a clean shaven look is far more intimidating to opponents rather than looking like the lead singer from Thirsty Mirc, who would be more at home in a cafe in Fitzroy making long Macchiato's then rag-dolling the opponent on the footy field!

Not saying we should all have crew cuts, long way to say that Rough and TC's mo's look shite and should be hastily removed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    There are a few reasons military and police departments around the globe adopt a grooming policy. Partly for hygienic reasons living in such close proximity to one another, partly to remain as anonymous as possible. But the main reason is to take away individuality, by following the rules they will achieve their collective cause which is greater than the individual's. An individual does not run onto a beach and up a cliff face under heavy fire, but a soldier does. I also think a clean shaven look is far more intimidating to opponents rather than looking like the lead singer from Thirsty Mirc, who would be more at home in a cafe in Fitzroy making long Macchiato's then rag-dolling the opponent on the footy field!

Not saying we should all have crew cuts, long way to say that Rough and TC's mo's look shite and should be hastily removed.
    I pretty much completely disagree with you in the context of a football team. I've played a fair bit of footy and I think you need a blend of different personalities to be successful. Some leaders, some followers; some loud, some quiet; some jokers, some serious. I couldn't think of anything worse than a pack of drones. As long as a player is doing all the right things in relation to their football (on field, training, diet, recovery, etc) and not creating any unwanted attention through anti-social/illegal behaviour, then peripheral things like hair cuts, fashion sense, musical taste, religious beliefs, etc are irrelevant for mine.

Basically I think there is plenty of room for individuality within a team environment. Of course there is a tipping point where it can go too far (Aker, many NFL/NBA players for example), but I think that is a rare occurrence in AFL.

Personally, I don't necessarily agree with Roughy's moustache, but I will defend to the death his right to wear it!

14. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I pretty much completely disagree with you in the context of a football team. I've played a fair bit of footy and I think you need a blend of different personalities to be successful. Some leaders, some followers; some loud, some quiet; some jokers, some serious. I couldn't think of anything worse than a pack of drones. As long as a player is doing all the right things in relation to their football (on field, training, diet, recovery, etc) and not creating any unwanted attention through anti-social/illegal behaviour, then peripheral things like hair cuts, fashion sense, musical taste, religious beliefs, etc are irrelevant for mine.

Basically I think there is plenty of room for individuality within a team environment. Of course there is a tipping point where it can go too far (Aker, many NFL/NBA players for example), but I think that is a rare occurrence in AFL.

Personally, I don't necessarily agree with Roughy's moustache, but I will defend to the death his right to wear it!

Interesting point. I feel Macca tended to want a cookie cutter approach to the personalities of his players and subsequently took some of the enjoyment out of the game for some of the squad. Not having a go at Macca in saying this as I reckon he tried his best at all times.

Post Thanks / Like

I just love how WOOFers are debating about facial hair. This must be the off-season.

I think a bit of freedom & individuality is healthy. As long as there are no snakeskin footy boots. Can any other WOOFers remember Nick Cage's Wild at Heart character?

Good luck & Congrats to Libba and Roughie (and Moz & M.Boyd). The fact that the team helped choose them speaks volumes to me. With Bob as Captain this makes a great leadership group.

And long live the People's Moustache.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Interesting point. I feel Macca tended to want a cookie cutter approach to the personalities of his players and subsequently took some of the enjoyment out of the game for some of the squad. Not having a go at Macca in saying this as I reckon he tried his best at all times.
    Macca gave up on Sheerman when he saw his tattoos down his chest. That ruined any career he had in football.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd sr should get particular congrats. He's gone from a one year extension to is contract then into the leadership group. That's a big turn around.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.