Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Little brother is now a man

As published in the 3 September 2014 edition of the Star Weekly, below is an installment of a regular player guest column, this week penned by Ayce Cordy.

It’s funny how quickly life goes. The six years since I got to the Western Bulldogs have whizzed by at the speed of light.

I still remember my little brother as a 12-year-old kid, a little smart arse who was just a child.
    I haven’t lived with him for six years but every day I see him now he reminds me of myself.

He has the same mannerisms and everyone comments on how similar we look. Mum and dad have obviously produced two very similar children.

He’s 17 now and he’s a young man. It’s funny when you suddenly realise he is no longer the little kid you remember.
    What impresses me most is that he has become a man in his own right but at the same time is very much another Cordy and is very similar to the rest of the family.

He’s dealing with a lot of pressure right now, year 12 exams and the pressure of potentially being drafted, and it brings back a lot of memories.

He’s handling it really well, he’s still enjoying life and still smiling and I’m very proud of him.
    Whatever the next step of his journey, if he gets drafted or not, I would love to take him under my wing and look after him.

He’s his own person though and he’ll find his way on his own path. The last thing he wants is to be seen as my little brother or my dad’s son, I think that’s the best part about him.

He’s very family-oriented and unselfish and whether he ends up in the AFL or not, he will still make our family very proud.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Little brother is now a man

If we draft him, I'm hoping he shows a fair bit more earlier in his carrier than Ayce has and in future years Ayce will be referred to as Zaine's brother.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice little article, thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    If we draft him, I'm hoping he shows a fair bit more earlier in his carrier than Ayce has and in future years Ayce will be referred to as Zaine's brother.
    If Zaine's surname wasn't Cordy more people would be excited. I have high hopes still for Ayce, but Zaine is more the Travis Cloke and Joel Selwood is terms of the youngest being the best. Some suggest he could be now top 20, so it's not if we draft anymore, it's where the competition makes us bid for him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Thanks Scraggers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If Zaine's surname wasn't Cordy more people would be excited. I have high hopes still for Ayce, but Zaine is more the Travis Cloke and Joel Selwood is terms of the youngest being the best. Some suggest he could be now top 20, so it's not if we draft anymore, it's where the competition makes us bid for him.
    Ayce was top 20 as well, he may or may not come good (I think he will) but we definitely paid overs for him. I think the other recruiters just put in bids to screw f/s teams over, if they make us use 25 or on him we really need to consider if he is worth it. Even if people are talking top 20 (haven't heard many) it is still only a few spots worth of 'value' that we benefit from the f/s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Whilst I respect the work you have done in keeping us updated on his progress, Zaine isn't and never will be considered attractive from a draft position perspective compared to Ayce and nor is he considered anywhere near him in terms of potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Whilst I respect the work you have done in keeping us updated on his progress, Zaine isn't and never will be considered attractive from a draft position perspective compared to Ayce and nor is he considered anywhere near him in terms of potential.
    My words must have failed me. I was trying to suggest the surname Cordy makes some people envisage a tall skinny kid who they believe won't make the grade. So when Zaine is mentioned as a tall and skinny Cordy some will judge him based on their perceptions of his brother. I wasn't trying to consciously couple them, rather suggesting a conscious de-coupling is a fairer way to think about Zaine.

I still think Zaine might go higher than others expect. In terms of potential Ayce was called to be better than Buddy, so Zaine can't compete with those hypes. I like what I've seen this year, I'm no expert but I'm getting better at picking over the last couple of years. We will just see come FS bidding in a few weeks I guess.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023