Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd was in our sights all season

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Was going to comment on Tom looking a bit to heavy .
    Needs to get a bit leaner in the modern game, and sounds like he got pretty lost up there.
    Agreed. Saw a bit of Boyd this season and thought his mobility was poor. Glad to read this.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Agreed. Saw a bit of Boyd this season and thought his mobility was poor. Glad to read this.

Apart from that what did you think?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Heard Andy Mackay interviewed after trade period. Sounded really disappointed about Boyd. They were clearly hearing up for a massive crack at him next year. Apparently was a huge Blues fan and they'd hosted him at games prior to being drafted.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Heard Andy Mackay interviewed after trade period. Sounded really disappointed about Boyd. They were clearly hearing up for a massive crack at him next year. Apparently was a huge Blues fan and they'd hosted him at games prior to being drafted.
    All true - they are genuinely shattered that we pulled the trigger and finalised the deal 12 months earlier as they were in it up to their eyeballs for the 2016 season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Apart from that what did you think?
    Really hard to tell.

IIRC he mostly played when Cameron was down forward (their main focus) and even sometimes when Patton played.

IIRC his marking was good and he got himself into good positions, but seemed to lumber along. May have played back too, or that might have been Patton. Don't recall that he offered massive defensive pressure.

Didn't overly stand out, but don't take that as a criticism of a first year player, playing along side a main target like Cameron.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

6. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Boyd moved ok in his first year. There is a piece of footage of him easily running around Harry Taylor and centering the ball for a goal. He looked quite mobile in that footage.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    All true - they are genuinely shattered that we pulled the trigger and finalised the deal 12 months earlier as they were in it up to their eyeballs for the 2016 season.
    Hence why we needed to pull the trigger NOW. There was no way Boyd was coming to the Dogs any other way.

Those who were hoping we'd secure 2 picks from GWS in return for Griffen and then pick up Boyd on the cheap next year were underestimating the Blues (and others) interest in him.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Hence why we needed to pull the trigger NOW. There was no way Boyd was coming to the Dogs any other way.

Those who were hoping we'd secure 2 picks from GWS in return for Griffen and then pick up Boyd on the cheap next year were underestimating the Blues (and others) interest in him.
    Matt Finnis (St Kilda CEO)was on SEN this arvo. Ox said St Kilda were shattered as they put all their eggs in the Tom Boyd basket. Finnis agreed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Maddog37 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look I want to say, if anyone connected to the club is listening: I am extremely proud of this club.
    First we get hammered in the media for the Griffen thing. Now we get told the Boyd deal was a bad risk. And yet, if we don't take risks we get hammered? Just very proud at the response and glad to have Tom. I know he will give it all he has. Amazing work by all involved.
    And by the way, this overshadowed the Biggs trade, and Zaine's pick up. Exciting to have both these kids. Love the footage.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

12. Thanks wimberga thanked for this post
    Likes KT31 liked this post