Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Score: Western Bulldogs to release a book detailing inside story of its historic premiership win

The Score: Western Bulldogs to release a book detailing inside story of its historic premiership win

3 more books on the way!

THE inside story of the Western Bulldogs fairytale premiership will be in print later this year.

Author Martin Flanagan and publisher Random House are behind the project with the Dogs providing full access to all the important players involved in the historic victory.

Coach Luke Beveridge has been a big supporter of the book alongwith captain Bob Murphy but don’t expect to read too much from president Peter Gordon.

It turns out Gordon is planning his own book to celebrate the occasion.

Esteemed cricket writer Gideon Haigh has been linked to the project to chronicle the life and times of Gordon who originally helped to save the club from merger back in 1989.

But wait, there’s more.

A third book about the premiership is also likely in the near future with Murphy signed to give his insider’s account of the flag which he missed because of injury.

The Dogs skipper released a book in 2015, ‘Murphy’s Lore: Tales from the West’, which was a collection of his regular newspaper columns from recent years.

It’s understood that part of that deal was a second book down the track with the publishers now keen to tap into Bulldogs premiership juggernaut.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes josie, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Score: Western Bulldogs to release a book detailing inside story of its historic premiership win

I hope the club is making a bucket load of cash of these books.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Score: Western Bulldogs to release a book detailing inside story of its historic premiership win

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

The first one probably. But Gordon's biog. and Murph's book I wouldn't think so.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to need some more bookshelves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    I'm going to need some more bookshelves.

I am such an idiot. A couple of months ago they had a beautiful bookshelf at the op shop. It was about 4 foot by 3 foot and only fifteen bucks. But I inflicted my self inflicted rule and cooled down for half an hour whilst some more impulsive* type bought the bookshelf.

*I did consider the possibility of someone with the same rule starting the process earlier than I did but I doubt the bookshelf was put out on sale long before I saw it. It would have been bought by one if those types with loose morals who are tearing down our society otherwise. They know who they are...

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody readers. Wreck everything for everyone. Always the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Expecting artists with a real voice to tailor their views in order to not wreck comfortable world orders!

Go doggies!

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody readers. Wreck everything for everyone. Always the way.
    Nah it's the authors writing too many books for us readers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the Gordo bio.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Looking forward to the Gordo bio.
    Ditto.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Facebook, Bulldog Tragician's book will be available in a few weeks. That's come up fast!

15. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Facebook, Bulldog Tragician's book will be available in a few weeks. That's come up fast!
    Check the thread here where I have a link to pre-order her book.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Depends. Realistically, the market is probably no more than 10,000 to 20,000 units. For the publisher to make their money back they are not going to pay a huge amount for the rights, so it's depends on how the marketing plays out. The fact that they have missed the key selling period for Flanaghans book (Xmas) makes it all the more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Depends. Realistically, the market is probably no more than 10,000 to 20,000 units. For the publisher to make their money back they are not going to pay a huge amount for the rights, so it's depends on how the marketing plays out. The fact that they have missed the key selling period for Flanaghans book (Xmas) makes it all the more difficult.

Just the fact that Flanagan comes back to Whitten oval nearly 25 years after Southern Sky, Westegn Oval to write another book about us really fascinates me. What a shame he wasn't aboard right from the start.

That's what I want to read. An outsider's inside account of their year on the inside as an outsider. I guess Murph's book will be from someone who was there from the start and he is a very talented writer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still searching for Southern Sky, Western Oval secondhand, never seen one. I guess it will turn up one day.