Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Work rate up for Dickson

A focus on work rate guided Tory Dickson to a career-best seven goals against Fremantle on Sunday.

The Western Bulldogs forward kicked four goals in the final term, as the Bulldogs fought hard to level the scores with the ladder-leaders.

Dickson said the Bulldogs were able to bring their trademark tackling pressure to the final term, which helped bring them back into the game.

“I think we all just brought that pressure in the last quarter, we evened up the stoppages and evened it all around the ground.

“We made a few moves, I guess we got them on the rebound… a couple of little contests and it could have gone the other way.”

Quick to dispel the hype around his individual performance, Dickson said a bigger emphasis on forward line pressure had assisted his game.

“I haven’t really been focusing on kicking goals, it’s more just about that work rate and working for each other and the forward line giving plenty of blocks and pressure, I guess goals come off the back of it.”

Dickson is averaging 15 disposals for the year and coach Luke Beveridge praised his contribution to date.

“He was terrific Tory, he’s had a great year and he’s set himself up by training hard over the pre-season, so it’s good to see him capitalise and his the scoreboard.

“The other parts of his game have been quite outstanding for us over recent times, hopefully we continue to grow in our forward line, it’s one area we’re evolving

Link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Work rate up for Dickson

Dickson worked really hard preseason and has stayed injury free to date.

It's a credit to him working so hard both in the preseason and so far in the 7 games. Just goes to show what you can achieve if you work hard at it. Hopefully some of the younger players will learn from Dickson's work rate. (here is looking at you Hunter).

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12 months back he wasnt highly regarded by a few supporters. I would suggest he has changed a few minds now.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    12 months back he wasnt highly regarded by a few supporters. I would suggest he has changed a few minds now.
    Perhaps it was justified 12 months ago, but he has turned it around.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been a pretty big fan (I'm not saying haha told you so, just that I could see the attributes he's being recognised for now, evident when he first started). He was always going to improve after a few seasons in the big leagues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Or perhaps his qualities were just being ignored, sometimes people have to look a bit deeper. Many regarded him as a one trick pony but he has proven than he can play up the field when needed as well as being a dangerous forward. The pressure he applies in the forward arc has normally been good but I think he has gotten even better at it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We had our kicking boots on, which helped him. Some amazing passes into 50. Had an off night but Stringer threaded a beauty into the fw 50. Very much enjoy Tory's passion and backstory. Suck on that Essendone.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I was one who didn't see a big future for him. I always thought he was good at what he does, but pure forward pockets are rare these days.

This year he was been incredibly impressive, his pressure, work rate and cool head have all been excellent, and contrary to my previous opinions he is actually effective around the ground. Also much quicker than I thought.

Will be a very good damaging player for us.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    12 months ago in his previous 10 games he'd kicked 3 goals on 3 occasions and one bag of 6.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pick up at 57 in the draft. Do we have BMac to thank for that one?
    I think we do.

Post Thanks / Like

It may have been Shannon Grant also who had an involvement with Bendigo.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    12 months ago in his previous 10 games he'd kicked 3 goals on 3 occasions and one bag of 6.
    Benefit of our fresh midfield and forwards who can get down the ground a bit better.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Great pick up at 57 in the draft. Do we have BMac to thank for that one?
    I think we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    It may have been Shannon Grant also who had an involvement with Bendigo.
    I'm pretty sure they both played a part. Grant convinced him to play at Bendigo after he won a B&F under Grant at Frankston, and McCartney was keen having seen him at Bendigo.

Best of all Essendon were really keen to draft him and we snatched him 2 picks before they planned to select him
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Likes Twodogs, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Time flies, perhaps it was a couple of years ago now where he was inconsistent. He has worked hard to get to where he is now.

Post Thanks / Like

He's improved a lot this season. He's always had talent, but he hasn't had consistent effort and he did struggle when he moved up the field.

He's become a pretty good link up player through the midfield - decision making and skill execution has improved a lot - and his effort has been great pretty much every week. Even when he wasn't kicking goals, his pressure acts were huge.

I was glad to see him get reward for a somewhat unnoticed but strong start to the season by kicking 7.1 against the best defense in the league. We have a really dangerous forward line who are going to play a lot of footy together (Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and Dickson particularly).

19. Likes GVGjr liked this post