Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lin Jong ready to take Ryan Griffen’s midfield spot at Western Bulldogs

LIN Jong picked the biggest month of last season to obliterate his reputation as a shutdown midfielder.

But what has happened since his exceptional VFL finals series, when he averaged 28 possessions and 11 clearances over the last four games, has been no less significant.
    Simply, Jong, 21, has been the story of the pre-season at the kennel.

With the club looking for a midfielder to step up in the absence of departed skipper Ryan Griffen this season, the 188cm former rookie has made an emphatic statement over the past few months that he is ready to partner Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae and Marcus Bomtempelli in the Dogs’ burgeoning engine room.
    “This pre-season he (Jong) has probably been the shining light, closely followed by Jake Stringer,” teammate Luke Dahlhaus said.
    “I think he has grown a lot of confidence from the VFL finals series and he really has been enormous over summer.
    “He is really starting to use his pace and power in his legs, so he’s going in head over the ball and just taking off.
    “He’s one of the hardest blokes to tackle at training, with his agility and speed.”

On Saturday, the Dogs will take their first step under new coach Luke Beveridge, with a near full-strength side in their NAB Challenge opener against Richmond at Whitten Oval.
    While the Dogs will be missing only Stewart Crameri, the Tigers have rested some of their biggest stars including Trent Cotchin (hamstring), Brett Deledio and Dustin Martin.
    Jong, who has been taken under the wing of midfield coach and three-time premiership Cat Joel Corey, wants to continue his sizzling VFL finals form into the NAB games to help cement a Round 1 berth.
    “I got a lot of self-confidence out of all those VFL finals games,” he said.
    “Understanding what I’m capable of and what my potential is and that I can do it at the top level.”

With the slate wiped clean after the tumultuous departure of former coach Brendan McCartney, another blossoming ex-rookie, Jason Johannisen, said the young pups were thriving with a more “daring” game plan.
    “We’ve been a bit more adventurous, that would be the one word I would use to describe our game plan and our match practice over preseason,” Johannisen said.
    “Quicker ball movement and a bit more direct and fast.”
    A speedy half-back, Johannisen’s brief is to “take the game on”.
    “Use your assets. If I see a gap, I’m going to take it,” he said.
    Johannisen said Beveridge starts each training session with a joke, to help set a buoyant mood for each day.
    “It gets everyone buzzing a bit,” Johannisen said.
    “He’s got a few good ones, and he gets others involved, so other players have jokes as well before we start.
    “It’s been a lot more positive environment with Luke Beveridge, you can ask anyone that has been at training. It has been really good and really exciting and I think everyone is enjoying it.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...3228b3cc60010b
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong ready to take Ryan Griffen’s midfield spot at Western Bulldogs

A lot more positive environment with Luke Bevo.

Is it me, or is every player interview hinting they were all a long way from happy?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    A lot more positive environment with Luke Bevo.

Is it me, or is every player interview hinting they were all a long way from happy?
    It's clearly evident, it must have been an horrendous second half to 2014.

The easy reaction is to think about it all being McCartney related, though I wonder how much of an influence some of the departed players had over the vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's clearly evident, it must have been an horrendous second half to 2014.

The easy reaction is to think about it all being McCartney related, though I wonder how much of an influence some of the departed players had over the vibe.
    Yep. And We managed to sign Bonts with all this going down... A modern miracle.

How this was kept silent in the last half of the season is anyone's guess. Bring on footy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Jong was over 190cm now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Here we go again...

He was 57 inches high in September '75. Has he grown since?

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They're quoting the website, the website is almost airways wrong. He was 190cm last year and somehow shrunk.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    They're quoting the website, the website is almost airways wrong. He was 190cm last year and somehow shrunk.
    Might have been measured in his boots that day

Can't wait to see Lin get out there. He revealed an explosiveness I didn't know he had in September.

Post Thanks / Like

I've spoken to jongy in track shoes. I'm 6'2 and his eyeline is a good inch or more above mine.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Mate, I've been thinking the exact same thing! I think we're getting a little insight into how toxic the place had become.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    Mate, I've been thinking the exact same thing! I think we're getting a little insight into how toxic the place had become.
    Ironically Faint Hearted Ryan may have had a more congenial time at the new Bulldogs than what he will have at GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully we've weeded out all the bad ones, to bad Macca was collateral of all that.
    The curse is dead.

14. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming that's a reply to BT's post?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah looking back at us over the last five weeks or so of the regular season ans it's become pretty clear that we were imploding.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be great if Jongy can come from virtually nowhere (12 months ago) to taking the Grifter's spot and holding his own?

Then we will really be able to say, "we didn't need you, anyway Grifter..."

Here's hoping...
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

18. Likes bornadog, N/A liked this post