Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs forward Jack Redpath sees opening alongside Tom Boyd

Link

With all the fanfare surrounding Tom Boyd, it is easy to forget that teams generally line up with more than one key forward. While the teenage millionaire may well be the Western Bulldogs' saviour, he won't do it alone.

In 2014, the Western Bulldogs tried six genuine forward options 193 centimetres or taller. Liam Jones was the most frequently used, making 10 appearances. He's now at Carlton. Tom Williams played six games, but retired mid-season. The other four — Tom Campbell (seven games last year), Jack Redpath (three) , Ayce Cordy (one) and Jarrad Grant (four) — are all into at least their fourth season at Whitten Oval. Assuming that Boyd will be given every opportunity when fit, it can reasonably be said that this quartet is fighting for the chance to play second fiddle to the former Giant.

Based on Saturday's NAB Challenge game against Richmond, Redpath should be the early favourite.

His seven marks and two goals meant he not only outshone Boyd (three marks, one goal), he was also the most potent tall forward on the ground.

Having spent three years on the Dogs' rookie list before being promoted at the end of last season, Redpath, 23, was understandably chuffed after the game.

"It means everything. You sort of tough it out for three years, which is still the best time of my life but now just to have that opportunity to be around for NAB one, it's pretty exciting," he said in the rooms after his side's 22-point win.

"For some blokes it's not as big a deal, but for me it was, and to get my hands on a few it's been really good."

While both had stints up the ground, it was Redpath who generally stood deeper, and leading well, caused issues for Damien Hardwick's callow defence.

Redpath, 194cm and 99kg, looks to have the potential to form a dangerous tandem act with Boyd.

"We've done a fair bit of work me and Boydy. Obviously we've had the pre-season together. There's still a lot of work to be done I think of me and him really benefiting from each other, but I think today was a really good stepping stone for him and myself as well.

"Boydy was really good out there, he was strong in the contest, and he's just like myself, we've just got to provide that strong contest for our little guys, don't get outmarked, lay a tackle, just bring that intensity."

Redpath attributed much of his improvement to time spent at VFL level in 2014, and in particular the tutelage of the club's newly appointed VFL coach Ash Hansen, and the man he replaced, now head of development Chris Maple.

While he knows the job of booking a spot in the Dogs' team for the round-one clash against West Coast is not yet complete, Redpath can see the opening .

"Every week there's going to be spots up for grabs."

Redpath also said that midfielder Tom Liberatore had been in good spirits after the game, despite suffering a serious knee injury. Unfortunately for the Dogs, their worst fears materialised on Sunday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs forward Jack Redpath sees opening alongside Tom Boyd

Lost me at Grant is a KPP fighting for a spot with Ayce.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Really liked Jacks game on the weekend. If he can bring that week in week out, he'll play a fair bit of senior footy this year.

To get the best out of Jack we really need him to play angry. The way he hit Vlaustin and tackled Morris showed that intent. It'll be nice to have an enforcer in our forward fifty.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Really liked Jacks game on the weekend. If he can bring that week in week out, he'll play a fair bit of senior footy this year.

To get the best out of Jack we really need him to play angry. The way he hit Vlaustin and tackled Morris showed that intent. It'll be nice to have an enforcer in our forward fifty.
    I love the way he plays. When we were aligned with Williamstown a few seasons back, I saw the opening game against Casey at Casey and Jack poleaxed one of their players in a legitimate hit that ended his night. Mid year against Port at Port he did the same and I spoke with Steven King that day about him and while King said he still had a lot to learn, King did say that he loves hurting opposition, or something along those lines. If we had to pick a Round 1 team today based on the efforts of the weekend, Jack is a certainty.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

They don't call him The Widow-Maker for nothing.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

He was good on Saturday, 6 marks is a good step in the right direction
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see him make it. Seems like a really likeable young guy, he's got a great attitude and has worked really hard to improve in leaps and bounds. He's quick in a straight line for a guy his size, but he will need to improve his agility. Still - Saturday was a fantastic step forward for big Jack.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Jack as a player. He missed a lot of footy as a junior.The positive is that you can see him improving year after year. That augurs well for his and the Club's future.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope Saturday was a taste of what's to come. He was terrific and would add a lot to our structure if he can continue to produce that sort of performance.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I really like what I saw of Jack against Richmond.

Brings aggression and would have a few defenders concerned about propping in the hole that Jack is leading to.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Will Minson on debut at Princess Park bashing opponents and generally just hurting people. I loved it then and I love it now! Most good teams have a similar player that relishes hurting people. It certainly does no harm and makes the team walk a bit taller.

13. Likes N/A, craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jarrad Grant had a reasonable season when he had Barry Hall to hide behind. Let's hope that Jack can continue to get better and become a lock in the forward line because it will benefit others as well.
    That hit on Vlastin was great and is exactly what we need.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a bonus if Jack can hold down a KP forward role in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Jarrad Grant had a reasonable season when he had Barry Hall to hide behind. Let's hope that Jack can continue to get better and become a lock in the forward line because it will benefit others as well.
    That hit on Vlastin was great and is exactly what we need.
    Credit to Vlaustin for getting up and playing on also. He won me over on Saturday. Quality kid.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

17. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Classic Shaolin Bow & Arrow stance. Beware the Widow-Maker!
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

19. Likes N/A liked this post