Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ben Cousins again

He needs it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He needs it

He does. What he really needs is somebody to say no to him

Or at least that little voice that eggs him on to give him a break.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    His lawyer wanted him to go rehab, but the judge said no, no, no.

1 year in the state's mandatory custody for Ben.
    Absolute shame. I gather the judge just didn't trust him enough to go through and stick with another rehab process.

I hope there is some more assistance for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to take a big effort, and some good people around him when he gets out, if he is going to turn it around. Why? Because, as I understand it, he's got nothing left. He's fallen a long way and it's going to be very difficult for him to lead an everyday life after what he's been used to all these years. I feel sorry for him and wish him well. I hope he gets the help he needs.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    It's going to take a big effort, and some good people around him when he gets out, if he is going to turn it around. Why? Because, as I understand it, he's got nothing left. He's fallen a long way and it's going to be very difficult for him to lead an everyday life after what he's been used to all these years. I feel sorry for him and wish him well. I hope he gets the help he needs.
    The news said WCE had offered him a full time job, and the AFLPA to fund his rehab costs (so he avoided debt and actually got the help) if he got on the straight and narrow before this last lot of offending. Apparently those offered were not enough to lead him in the right direction.

The whole leading a horse to water thing. With a supportive WCE job offer, financially supportive AFLPA and lenient/supportive judges repeatedly giving him 'one more chance with rehab', it doesn't seem to me to be a lack of support being offered. Hopefully this is his rock bottom because then it's only up from here.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The news said WCE had offered him a full time job, and the AFLPA to fund his rehab costs (so he avoided debt and actually got the help) if he got on the straight and narrow before this last lot of offending. Apparently those offered were not enough to lead him in the right direction.

The whole leading a horse to water thing. With a supportive WCE job offer, financially supportive AFLPA and lenient/supportive judges repeatedly giving him 'one more chance with rehab', it doesn't seem to me to be a lack of support being offered. Hopefully this is his rock bottom because then it's only up from here.
    Thanks BT. I wasn't aware of all that.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BT. I wasn't aware of all that.
    Apparently he was recorded on a recorded prison telephone call telling his father he had no intention of going to rehab or quitting his habit. Pretty hard to get around your own voice saying something contrary to what his lawyer was arguing (desire for no jail, but wanting rehab).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

In that case there's little hope for anything other than an unhappy ending.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently he was recorded on a recorded prison telephone call telling his father he had no intention of going to rehab or quitting his habit. Pretty hard to get around your own voice saying something contrary to what his lawyer was arguing (desire for no jail, but wanting rehab).
    That was recorded a while ago, he could well be thinking differently now. I hope so.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

11. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Absolute shame. I gather the judge just didn't trust him enough to go through and stick with another rehab process.

I hope there is some more assistance for him.
    It doesn't sound like he's hit rock bottom yet.

Hopefully in jail the other prisoners can set him straight. Maybe they are the best guys for the job. They certainly won't *!*!*!*! around.

That often means that he will fall into the hands of an enabler. Someone who will control his supply and money and stuff and get to be Ben's best mate in return. Get some vicarious respect.

I understand that's what happens anyway. It's never happened to me or anything.p

Post Thanks / Like

This is why upstream problem management is important. Communicating with users downstream is a nightmare.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He does. What he really needs is somebody to say no to him
    This.
    He's basically been a rock star since age 15 - never really had to yield to others.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    This.
    He's basically been a rock star since age 15 - never really had to yield to others.

Yep. I'd hate to have had the problems I had while it was still in the interests of others to pump me up and send me out on stage. A bloke like Cousins makes money for plenty of people so it's not really in their interests to help him, they just want to keep him dancing and on centre stage. Whether he's clean and healthy doesn't really enter the equation from their POV.

Years ago I was backstage at a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds gig (yes I was super cool-I was like a god!) when Nick got a bad case of the staggers halfway through a song and was having trouble remains upright. He walked side stage to where the mixing desk was and stuck his arm in front of the bloke at the desk who picked up a syringe and stuck it on Nick's arm-I guess he must have been the Coke/heroin/speed roadie. Anyway my point is nick cave was the coolest person in the world at the time and if he can be in thrall to drugs to that extent but it's in nobody's interests to help him then things are pretty *!*!*!*!ed up in the drug world

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep. I'd hate to have had the problems I had while it was still in the interests of others to pump me up and send me out on stage. A bloke like Cousins makes money for plenty of people so it's not really in their interests to help him, they just want to keep him dancing and on centre stage. Whether he's clean and healthy doesn't really enter the equation from their POV.

Years ago I was backstage at a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds gig (yes I was super cool-I was like a god!) when Nick got a bad case of the staggers halfway through a song and was having trouble remains upright. He walked side stage to where the mixing desk was and stuck his arm in front of the bloke at the desk who picked up a syringe and stuck it on Nick's arm-I guess he must have been the Coke/heroin/speed roadie. Anyway my point is nick cave was the coolest person in the world at the time and if he can be in thrall to drugs to that extent but it's in nobody's interests to help him then things are pretty *!*!*!*!ed up in the drug world
    Ah makes sense now.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has had every opportunity under the sun ... but he needed to get clean first. That was the Eagles proviso on the job offer. (They wanted him to work with the future father/son prospects).

In his last arrest, he was caught with drugs and drug paraphernalia and had breeched his VRO by showing up at the house unannounced and sending over 2,000 texts to his ex (mother of his kids) in the space of two months ... that's over 30 texts a day.
    WOOF Member 422