Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Deal Could Put The Squeeze on Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Bonti is an easy target because he's on holiday. Say it about a different player and they'd be out in the press 5 minutes later saying “I'm rapt with my current deal, piss off.” I mean, for Christ's sake, Griff was supposed to be happy with his deal too. Let's just worry about what IS happening, rather than what COULD happen. I could come out of retirement myself at 32 and swallow up all the cap space. Bloody unlikely though.
    Can you add key position defensive depth?

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't understand from these articles is that they never mention that the AFL market is limited to 18 clubs. Thus we are talking about a limited market whereby only the elite, or those earmarked as elite, will be able to attract the dollars that these articles are spruiking. The majority of other players will generally be competing for the same money no matter what clubs they play for. Of course there are exceptions to the rule in particular, previously, when the expansion clubs commenced but generally speaking it is a fairly even playing field. It is more a choice about opportunities and where the player wants to ply his trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Given that most players crave a level of success, I would expect our young stars are equally excited that the club has made such a bold move to increase their chances of success at the club.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with the article. One million for Boyd over the course of his contract was too much. He is an unproven footballer. His salary will limit what other players can be paid in the future and this will cause problems. Sounds like terrible list management to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    I have to agree with the article. One million for Boyd over the course of his contract was too much. He is an unproven footballer. His salary will limit what other players can be paid in the future and this will cause problems. Sounds like terrible list management to me.
    It's that type of thinking that has resulted in 2 GF appearances since 1925.

At least Tom is projected to be a franchise player, unlike I$$y Folau and Karmichael Hunt who were on similar coin to promote the game in their constituents despite being just this side of useless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post

At least Tom is projected to be a franchise player, unlike I$$y Folau and Karmichael Hunt who were on similar coin to promote the game in their constituents despite being just this side of useless.
    Are there any players in the last 5 grand final winners that are on these sorts of salaries?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if you're serious or not.
    Would have thought they'd have a few people in front of a whiteboard with projected contracts and figures etc etc
    Then there's the Wright/ McCartin / Wright debate.
    No doubting a huge risk, but also a massive reward if successful. The media contract guessing game I find amusing, and would assume it would be front ended. The signing's created some excitement, and if he's a raging success it's two fold.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any players in the last 5 grand final winners that are on these sorts of salaries?
    Pretty sure Franlkin wasn't on peanuts at Hawthorn, and in fact they offered a million a year to keep him.
    Sydney's top end even pre Buddy Tippet were on big coin.
    Do you honestly reckon Sam Reid was worth a 5 year big contract?
    Don't fall for the media lazy narrative of just making hypotheticals on our younger players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post

Massive plus to the bottom line if Tom is a raging success.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the value of the media exposure we received due to the Boyd trade?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the contract is as big as reported but that being said, I also don't think players are too concerned what others players are being paid. We have cleared the decks of the older guys and the focus will be on paying the younger guys really good salaries.

If any good young player is chasing the bigger dollars than what the club can afford then we just have to do the best deal we can.

List management over the next few years is going to be real challenge for all clubs.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think the contract is as big as reported but that being said, I also don't think players are too concerned what others players are being paid. We have cleared the decks of the older guys and the focus will be on paying the younger guys really good salaries.

If any good young player is chasing the bigger dollars than what the club can afford then we just have to do the best deal we can.

List management over the next few years is going to be real challenge for all clubs.
    Good point. I'd say they would only be concerned with another players salary where that player is contributing less to the team or the future potential of the team. If one of the younger brigade could be the big gorilla key forward we need we wouldn't be discussing this right now, would we?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Anyone want to hazard a guess at the value of the media exposure we received due to the Boyd trade?
    If we use it right, A LOT.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If we use it right, A LOT.
    So far so good.

Having Boyd appear for the first in public at a local primary school was a very savvy move. Kids would love having a big friendly giant there, especially such a high profiled one.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney have 2 players on 1m each. They seem to manage. Salary cap is only going 1 way too.