Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveridge looking to the future as playing group takes shape

He made a contribution, but was hampered by injury. Was not always as consistent as you would want.
    Won't miss him lying on the deck after a tackle! Used to frustrate me so much.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    One of the biggest weaknesses we bemoaned was our lack of poise, decision making, and experience from half back, with the exception of Murphy. Higgins added little to improve it, and in a poor team full of kids he finished well outside the top 10 of the B&F, and even had a stint in the seconds. Yet he was less of a liability to the team than when he was playing forward or through the midfield.

Higgins in the type of player people look at and say "he's really talented, he'll be a gun some day", but in reality there's almost nowhere on the field he can play in the modern game and be a valuable contributor.

Interesting point about the game maybe not really having a position these days for a player like Higgins. Having said that North will probably play him in the forward line and he will kick 50 goals next season.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Interesting point about the game maybe not really having a position these days for a player like Higgins. Having said that North will probably play him in the forward line and he will kick 50 goals next season.
    He'd need a better than 50% improvement on his previous career best, which was more than 5 years ago.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He'd need a better than 50% improvement on his previous career best, which was more than 5 years ago.

True. He'd be keen to impress though and he played his position well last year at times.

But he's far more likely to contentedly play out his contract with a minimum of fuss

Post Thanks / Like

i think he might surprise up forward and return to career best form in a team that knows how to move the footy. His chasing won't improve a great deal - though a second full preseason in a row will help that - but he won't be exposed as much in a team that is as prone to having its forward line stacked with defenders due to being so slow moving the footy.

Good luck to him, he wasn't going to a significant part of our future in three or four years time so probably figured he should get out of his career what he can, when he can.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Higgins might have a good honeymoon year and frustrate the norf faithful for the next 3.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I think Higgins might have a good honeymoon year and frustrate the norf faithful for the next 3.
    That's what I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's look to the future like Beveridge is doing in the title of the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with Higgins is he was no good at defending. He was never desperate enough without ball in hand. He was a beautiful user of the ball but that was it. He wouldn't chase in the forward line and even when he was at HBF he still didn't defend very much. This is why he ended up in the twos last year for a few games. He was and prob still is a one way player much like Cooney. There is no place in modern footy for a one way player any more