Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Work rate up for Dickson

I was a non-believer, but an improved fitness base is helping him get to more contests and have an impact.

Prefer him to be positioned closer to goal where his deadly finishing and footy smarts are welcomed.. Still think his decison making & skill execution lets him down a little when he plays up the ground, but understand the need for flexibility within the line-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a very open field for our "Most Improved" award this year.

Between Tory, Easton Wood and Lin Jong, there's quite a few players who have lifted their gaime.

I think back to the VFL Grand Final last year. When he kicked a goal in the last quarter to get us back into the game, David Rhys-Jones said something along the lines of "He is a goalkicker. He doesn't need to get the ball too many times to have an impact on the scoreboard."

Post Thanks / Like

Another ringing endorsement of having our own team.
    The development coaches deserve a massive tick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Its a very open field for our "Most Improved" award this year.

Between Tory, Easton Wood and Lin Jong, there's quite a few players who have lifted their gaime.

I think back to the VFL Grand Final last year. When he kicked a goal in the last quarter to get us back into the game, David Rhys-Jones said something along the lines of "He is a goalkicker. He doesn't need to get the ball too many times to have an impact on the scoreboard."
    Liam Picken, Michael Talia and Jason Johannisen would be up there as well.

I think there is a chance Dickson was judged harshly because of his age which really shouldn't be a consideration now.

Does he have another year to go on his contract?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I think there is a chance Dickson was judged harshly because of his age which really shouldn't be a consideration now.

I realised as soon as I posted that I'd forgotten Talia from my list.

Post Thanks / Like

One or two years left, we locked him away.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He was only 23 when he was drafted by us so I doubt it was his age. It was more his week to week lack of consistency and lack of pressure applied. There were some early games when he didn't even apply one tackle.

He has turned things around and has become a very dangerous forward. I still don't like him up the ground as he tends to hesitate and not sure what to do. His best spot is to hang around Tom Boyd, like he did Sunday as well as the Richmond game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He was only 23 when he was drafted by us so I doubt it was his age. It was more his week to week lack of consistency and lack of pressure applied. There were some early games when he didn't even apply one tackle.
    I'm fairly certain there were a few upset that he got a 3 year deal and one of the reasons was because he was a late developer.
    His work rate and results have been hindered by persistent injuries so I think we are now seeing what he is capable of.
    I still think he can play in more positions than just in the forward 50 and while he might play some good football there he can move into the midfield when required. Having Boyd and Stringer getting the better defenders also helps him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly certain there were a few upset that he got a 3 year deal and one of the reasons was because he was a late developer.
    His work rate and results have been hindered by persistent injuries so I think we are now seeing what he is capable of.
    I still think he can play in more positions than just in the forward 50 and while he might play some good football there he can move into the midfield when required. Having Boyd and Stringer getting the better defenders also helps him.
    http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...hlight=dickson
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chef, interesting to look back.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thoughts from one or two there.
    Going to have games where he has less impact than others, as that position always does.
    Brings a defensive effort when that happens

Post Thanks / Like

I like that Dicko does the relatively easy things well.

Never seems to drop a mark he should take, and rarely misses a goal that he should kick.
    I liked that on the weekend, when Stringer marked in the centre of the ground and went long, quickly to Dickson's advantage - you just knew that Dicko would body his opponent at the right time and put him out of business, and kick the goal. Once the ball was to his advantage - it was just a given.

14. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Never seems to drop a mark he should take, and rarely misses a goal that he should kick.
    I liked that on the weekend, when Stringer marked in the centre of the ground and went long, quickly to Dickson's advantage - you just knew that Dicko would body his opponent at the right time and put him out of business, and kick the goal. Once the ball was to his advantage - it was just a given.
    Classic case of footballer first, athlete second with Dicko.
    Not many other players in the competition I'd be as confident with taking a shot on goal.
    Bruest, T.Boyd, Gunston
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Not many other players in the competition I'd be as confident with taking a shot on goal.
    Bruest, T.Boyd, Gunston
    He's going at just under 70% conversion which makes him elite, but he often has shots on the run, at angles, around the corner etc. given the role he plays. I'd be interested in his set shot accuracy, it must be off the charts.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like