Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs’ $6m investment in Tom Boyd could still pay dividends, writes Jonathan Brown

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...13de30296d862c

THE Tom Boyd that cost the Western Bulldogs $6 million is not what they paid for.

Most people thought the Dogs had landed the next Jesse Hogan or Tom Lynch with their audacious, seven-year play for the Greater Western Sydney young gun —a big, dominant power forward, who would rule the roost deep inside 50m for a decade.

But the 200cm, 103kg Boyd who arrived at The Kennel at the end of 2014 is not that man at all.

It doesn’t mean it’s a bust, but if the massive investment in the 2013 No.1 pick is to pay off it will be different to how we — and maybe even the Bulldogs — anticipated.

To me, Boyd is more in the Kurt Tippett mould.

He’ll end up splitting his time between the ruck and up forward and, if he can get to Tippett’s level, could be just as valuable as Hogan, Lynch or Jeremy Cameron.

Big, brutish, stay-at-home key forwards like Tom Hawkins are rarer by the season. Boyd, 20, will have to be more than the bear in the square to thrive.

He will play his third-straight game in the VFL this weekend after a shoulder injury and is being kept out of the seniors by big Jack Redpath.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered about Boyd

He must improve his endurance and his agility. He’s got a good jump and is balanced and powerful in the contest, but he must become a better ground-level player and get his touches up.

He would want to start performing at a higher level fairly soon.

His teammates will have patience while he’s still developing and understand that he wasn’t the one who decided the size of his contract.

But failing to live up to your pay cheque can be challenging and it comes back to the resilience of the individual. How well can he cope mentally? Some blokes struggle under that weight of expectation.

Boyd is still in the grace period and from what I hear is a solid and hard-working character committed to the game.

He’s not a natural born killer, but he’s far from timid, either.

He’s happy to crash a pack and you can see some subtle changes in his body shape. He’s starting to chisel up and get a frame for the modern game.

In the TAC Cup he was the big-boned kid in the schoolyard. He murdered them because he was always far bigger.

Boyd is in his third AFL season and still getting paid for his potential, but that was always going to be the case.

His coach Luke Beveridge has publicly declared that Boyd is in the Dogs’ best 22 and that’s very important. He’ll get a crack at it in the next few weeks.

I got a huge amount of confidence as a youngster from Leigh Matthews being in my corner, pushing me and encouraging me to be one of his key forwards.

It’s hard to be critical of the Dogs’ decision to go after Boyd. They had to land a big fish.

Don’t forget, when the trade went down they were a basket case — players wanted out and the coach was sacked.

They wanted to make a statement because their captain Ryan Griffen was walking out the door.

The Dogs have some outstanding veteran leaders in Bob Murphy, Dale Morris and Matty Boyd and the way they embraced the Boyd transaction would have permeated through the group.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were consulted about the move and told the club: “Yep, we’re making a splash and we’re happy for you to go and get him.”

At the time, the Dogs probably didn’t realise the quality and depth already on their list, led by Marcus Bontempelli, Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus and the three father-sons — Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis.

Redpath is providing real grunt this year and is ahead of Boyd because he’s allowing Stringer to head into the midfield.

You could play Redpath and Boyd if Boyd played big minutes in the ruck and could also contribute as a hit forward, but Tom Campbell and Jordan Roughead are doing the job in the ruck so far this season.

That’s the conundrum for Boyd and I can assure you the money he’s pocketing won’t affect the coach’s consideration at selection.

If we get to the end of next year and he still hasn’t come on you’d be starting to worry, but I always think of Tom Hawkins at the end of 2011, his fifth season.

A month after a lot of people had written him off, he won Geelong a premiership.

Hawkins struggled right up until the finals and there was push to play an ageing Cameron Mooney ahead of him.

Boyd may yet make a major impact this season.

I’m confident he’s going to be a player, but not declaring him just yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs’ $6m investment in Tom Boyd could still pay dividends, writes Jonathan Brown

I started reading that at a cafe this morning, but got side tracked.

Fairly balanced article, though the timing's questionable given he's been out of the game for six weeks due to a shoulder.

Agree with the assessment he'll turn into a forward/ruck rather than pure forward, but those players are quickly becoming the most important in a team, alongside midfield/forward utilities like the Bont and Stringer.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs’ $6m investment in Tom Boyd could still pay dividends, writes Jonathan Brown

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I started reading that at a cafe this morning, but got side tracked.

Fairly balanced article, though the timing's questionable given he's been out of the game for six weeks due to a shoulder.

Agree with the assessment he'll turn into a forward/ruck rather than pure forward, but those players are quickly becoming the most important in a team, alongside midfield/forward utilities like the Bont and Stringer.
    Agree. Thought it was the most balanced article I have read on Boyd. Brown has always spoke positively of Tom on the "On The Couch" tv program.

Post Thanks / Like

As Jeemak say's it's a fairly balanced article but I still can't work out why so many in the media are impatient with Boyd making his mark. Had it not been for his shoulder injury I think there might have been more articles on the positive side about his future.

I remain positive about Boyd being an impact player for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read. And in my opinion there's definitely room for Redpath and Boyd in the same (winning) team.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 18-06-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Typo

7. Likes bulldogtragic, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Brown except the referencing to his salary.

Who cares what his salary is, I certainly don't. Shouldn't make any difference to the way he trains, or is picked for a senior role etc.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Good read. And in my opinion there's definitely room for Redpath and Boyd in the same (winning) team.
    I think the question is is there room for Roughead, Campbell, Redpath and Boyd in the one team? Personally I hope they give it a try to see if it works.

Post Thanks / Like

That flying mark he took across a pack earlier in the year. If you don't get excited about that, you won't about anything. He will be better than Tom Hawkins.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

It's telling that you never hear how Ryan Griffen is going. He was as much a part of the deal as Boyd's salary
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

12. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think the question is is there room for Roughead, Campbell, Redpath and Boyd in the one team? Personally I hope they give it a try to see if it works.
    Maybe not Roughy unless he plays in the backlines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Who cares what his salary is, I certainly don't. Shouldn't make any difference to the way he trains, or is picked for a senior role etc.
    Especially considering anyone quoting his salary is just guessing.
    Footscray member since 1980.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I feel the article might just have been inspired by the negative from that other person with the sliding doors stupidity earlier in the week.

Brown has come out and defended Boyd against those who just desperately want him to fail because of the deal.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it was the headline of the article but I felt that it was written from the perspective of 'the Dogs overpaid for Tom Boyd and it's not worked out but they can still make something of the deal'

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some fair points but I refuse to accept the article and any discourse from the AFL media re: Tom Boyd. The majority of it is vultures setting up a "draft bust" narrative and the other element is jealous ex players bewildered at the fact he got the pay day there managers couldn't arrange for them. Even a balanced article like this carries the assumptions that have been ascribed to Tom and the deal's narrative by those flogs.

Don't forget the AFL's patriarch openly said he wished Tom would fail.