Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: JJ eyes return

Post Thanks / Like

JJ eyes return

Link

Injured speedster Jason Johannisen looks set to make his long awaited return to football following the bye on July 2.

Having not played since injuring his hamstring during the round four clash with Hawthorn, coach Luke Beveridge said that a VFL return is the most likely return road for the speedy half back.

"JJ will be probably playing that round, but I wouldn't imagine he'll be playing at AFL level. He's been out too long, Beveridge said.

"We'll wait and see, there's a bit of water to go under the selection bridge."

Johnnisen will be one of a host of Bulldogs expected to return to competitive football after the bye, with captain Easton Wood, Koby Stevens and Roarke Smith to be available for selection, as well as Clay Smith who’s now played two games in the for Footscray after returning from injury.

Sitting down with 1990 Brownlow Medallist Tony Liberatore in the upcoming episode of Guardians of the Guernsey, a video series exclusive to BulldogsTV, Johannisen said it can be difficult having a long term injury but with the support of his teammates he has been in a positive frame of mind throughout the process.

“It has been pretty hard watching the boys knowing that I should be out there helping them get a win [but] I understand it, it’s reality, it happens in football all of the time, he said.

“I just want to do all the work I can to make sure that when I do get out there I’ll be 100% and I won’t let the team down.”

“We’ve [had] a few blokes in there so I’m not as isolated as you usually [can be] in rehab, so I’ve had a little tight group there to train with and help get back as soon as we can.”

Johannisen started the season in blistering form, averaging 24.5 disposals per game at an impressive 85.7% clip, up from 19.9 at 75.6% the year before.

The 23-year-old opened the season with back-to-back best on ground performances before the injury, but there’s something bigger driving his return to the field.

“[The jumper] means everything because as a kid you want to play AFL footy and it’s your dream.

“And for the Bulldogs to give me the opportunity when no other club would, I’ve got to do everything I can to repay them and play some good footy for the Club.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC, bulldogtragic, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: JJ eyes return

Can't wait to have him back.. Been sorely missed.

Hope he marks his return with a new hairstyle.. Cornrows?

Post Thanks / Like

Age 23! wow!

Post Thanks / Like

Watch the video in the link above.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Badly miss his run and carry from defence.

I think we have done reasonably well to manufacture wins in his absence but we certainly have not played exhilarating football like we did last year and early this year when JJ and Bob were running in straight lines through the middle of the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Missed JJ badly. It wasn't hawthorn when he did his hamstring though was it? Was it the week after kicking that long goal against, umm, we won!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

We have certainly missed his dash from defence. I hope he can re-capture the form he was in before the hammy.

It's going to be nice to have all our defence (barring Bob) out on the park. Hopefully it will release other players to play in their preferred position and we can kick a decent score. #excited

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Missed JJ badly. It wasn't hawthorn when he did his hamstring though was it? Was it the week after kicking that long goal against, umm, we won!
    Against Carton

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Much needed in our team. Will be great to have JJ return.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Against Carton
    Wasnt it St.Kilda?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Wasnt it St.Kilda?
    No, Carlton.
    Bob was Hawthorn