Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon doesn’t need Good Friday football

We're sadly irrelevant to the AFL. No GF game for us.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why doesn't Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond play each other every week and the rest can play together interstate, Sunday night, Manuka, Darwin, Cairns, Launceston, Koo-wee-rup, Ballarat, Kalgoorlie. That will increase revenue and really help the AFL grow.

No wonder soccer is growing as is NRL etc.
    Maybe just give us experimental 5am Tuesday timeslot.

Also, why waste an AFL team as our opponent? Perhaps we can play Altona just in case the big clubs get bored with their opponents at half time and want something different for their fans.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that fussed about it TBH. Sure it would be great for our club to get at least one live guaranteed game on FTA TV but wouldn't be devastated if we did not get it. To me it'll be just another Friday night game, it'll be between a Thursday game and a Saturday game. I'd rather push to open the season up, everyone watches game 1, round 1. But they should probably save that for Essendon or Collingwood.

Post Thanks / Like

The idea that Carlton gets it is as equally reprehensible. Time the AFL shows how serious it is about equalisation, so far it's been nothing but bluster and bullshit without any action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    The idea that Carlton gets it is as equally reprehensible. Time the AFL shows how serious it is about equalisation, so far it's been nothing but bluster and bullshit without any action.
    I think a marginally fair and realistic outcome would be either one of North and ourselves getting Good Friday, with Carlton or Hawthorn filling the other spot. Let's not forget St Kilda probably deserve a chance as well.

The offset would have to be whichever the bigger clubs ends up landing it losing some prime time exposure or a blockbuster.

Carlton - Losing two blockbuster games, one against Collingwood and the other against Essendon
    Hawthorn - Losing one game against Essendon and or one game against Geelong

Essendon, irrespective of my previous post about securing a deal as an outcome of settling the supplements scandal shouldn't even be part of the equation due to their already overly generous prime exposure and the fact they get Dreamtime and ANZAC day.

Whichever of North and the Bulldogs missing out should secure two more prime time slots.

It just sickens and perplexes me that we have to worry about the prospect of fighting for a public holiday game when Melbourne get gifted Queens Birthday in a fixture that gives Collingwood a second public holiday fixture on top of the once again overly generous prime time exposure they get.

What perplexes and sickens me even more, is that there's such a huge disparity in parity per head in gate takings our club gets compared to these clubs and others around the country.

A bit like G-Mo77 I think if we don't nail Good Friday we should continue to lobby for the clearly major issue with the draw and prime time slotting.

I'm not holding my breath for a positive outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Good old Eddie, banging on about the need for it to be a blockbuster game between the big boys to create revenue for the smaller clubs. The AFL's created an epic monster in this blockbuster contrived fixture.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't actually mind that too much, on the proviso the gate receipts are equalised and there's an offset in prime time exposure.

Right now there's a situation where the spoils of gate receipts and exposure goes to the participating clubs only, which is just ridiculous.

Geelong at home makes a massive profit from games at their home ground for games we play at Etihnd and draw similar or larger crowds and break even at best. It's so plainly stupid I'm glad I'm not eating cornflakes or drinking coffee right now as my laptop would be covered in it.

Eddie's comments provide an insight into a change in mindset. I think there's a burgeoning acceptance that gate receipts are doomed to equalisation.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the gate receipts issue is my biggest bugbear.
    You can't have all the riches of exposure time slot, and then tell the rest of us to eat pie.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to ignore the lot of you but I only need to read the title of this thread to agree. Essendon f** off.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Sorry to ignore the lot of you but I only need to read the title of this thread to agree. Essendon f** off.
    No that's fair. We're all thinking the same.

Post Thanks / Like

'you lot' said with great affection. The arrogance of Essendon football club cannot be measured by any instrument known to man.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't actually mind that too much, on the proviso the gate receipts are equalised and there's an offset in prime time exposure.

Right now there's a situation where the spoils of gate receipts and exposure goes to the participating clubs only, which is just ridiculous.

Geelong at home makes a massive profit from games at their home ground for games we play at Etihnd and draw similar or larger crowds and break even at best. It's so plainly stupid I'm glad I'm not eating cornflakes or drinking coffee right now as my laptop would be covered in it.

Eddie's comments provide an insight into a change in mindset. I think there's a burgeoning acceptance that gate receipts are doomed to equalisation.
    By doing what Eddie says leads us back to where we are now. It's not just the money but it's the ability to grow our club and membership. All the current situation does is make the big clubs bigger through exposure to young viewers.

It has to stop so the smaller clubs can grow or end up disappearing.
    Last edited by bornadog; 25-04-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But it won't be will it? And that's what gets lost on your average factory worker fan isn't it? The two competing "big" clubs will get $1million worth of exposure each, we'll get thrown $15,000 and we'll hear "you get compensated so what's your problem". It's dickhead economics.

Basically we're going to burn down your house which is worth $2 million if your could afford to renovate it, but you can't, so here's $400,000 insurance money and we'll build 12 apartments on it and sell them for $6 million. Why are you complaining, you did well out of the deal!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

BAD, I was saying there needs to be more prime time exposure for our club plus equalisation in gate receipts if a club like Collingwood is going to end up with Good Friday.

'Stache, don't disagree with anything you're saying. I just have trouble believing the AFL and its bigger clubs will surrender the revenue that easily, and that parity in exposure will ever exist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    By doing what Eddie says leads us back to where we are now. It's not just the money but it's the ability to grow our club and membership. All the current situation does is make the big clubs bigger through exposure to young viewers.

It has to stop so the smaller bus can grow or end up disappearing.
    Absolutely BAD. We want to be able to grow our support and membership not just in the traditional western region heartland but to a much wider audience in greater Melbourne and beyond. No wonder Essendon who are based in the north west not too far from us have healthy support around greater Melbourne.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"