Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Ballarat represents a great opportunity to grow our membership base in a football area. Cairns offers nothing other than coin.
    Any Cairns locals at the game are going to be supporting Gold Coast.
    As for the climate for our players comfort, i think a cold game will be more easier in termsof post match recovery than a humid game in Cairns.
    Respectfully I think you've got this wrong. Ballarat is already an AFL town meaning most of the people there who might be interested already have a team. The growth is in other areas that aren't an hours drive from weekly games. We'll sell more memberships and merch in Cairns than in Ballarat

Why do you think North ditched Ballarat for Hobart?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Respectfully I think you've got this wrong. Ballarat is already an AFL town meaning most of the people there who might be interested already have a team. The growth is in other areas that aren't an hours drive from weekly games. We'll sell more memberships and merch in Cairns than in Ballarat
    You could say that Tassie is a footy region and everyone there already has a team, yet it hasn't stopped Hawthorn or even North from adding thousands of members from the area.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You could say that Tassie is a footy region and everyone there already has a team, yet it hasn't stopped Hawthorn or even North from adding thousands of members from the area.
    In effect Tassie is an island of 520,000 which has two AFL teams vying for the affections and loyalty of 250,000 each. Ballarat is adding as many people per year as what the whole of Tasmania does combined. North Melbourne are effectively working in a region of 250,000 people in southern Tasmania and Hawthorn have effectively the top half of the island. Where as the Bulldogs are now expanding across an area that includes Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Ballarat, Warrnambool, Portland, Hamilton, and Horsham. So you can now picture that they are now dominating an area of regional Victoria with a population of half a million people with Ballarat at its heart.

5. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Hawthorn and North both play multiple games down there and offer packages designed around attending those games. The venues sell out and so the memberships become your only option as a ticket. Anyone who wants to go and see the biggest thing in town becomes a card carrying member of the Hawthorn or North Melbourne football clubs

People in Ballarat aren't as footy starved, they can and do go to games in Melbourne. We're only playing one game there. You can see we're trying to do the same thing with selling out a small venue, tourism packages, Ballarat memberships etc. but it won't be as successful purely because people in Ballarat can go to the footy every week if they are that passionate
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn and North both play multiple games down there and offer packages designed around attending those games. The venues sell out and so the memberships become your only option as a ticket. Anyone who wants to go and see the biggest thing in town becomes a card carrying member of the Hawthorn or North Melbourne football clubs

People in Ballarat aren't as footy starved, they can and do go to games in Melbourne. We're only playing one game there. You can see we're trying to do the same thing with selling out a small venue, tourism packages, Ballarat memberships etc. but it won't be as successful purely because people in Ballarat can go to the footy every week if they are that passionate
    The crowds in Launceston and Hobart have been well and truly down. Aurora Stadium in 2017 has averaged 15,571 out of a capacity of 20,000 and 14,324 over four games last year. While Blundstone Arena with a capacity of 20,000 has averaged 9,411 over both of its games so far in 2017 and 15,649 over its 3 three games in 2016. (Source: http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html).

On your second point, if Eureka is built to a 15,000 capacity it is likely that the crowd will be a mix of local Bulldogs supporters, passionate Melbourne based supporters (who never miss a game regardless of where its played), and of course supporters from across the wider western Victoria (Melton - Horsham). After all for people living in the country ... "I enjoy the trek to Melbourne and negotiating city traffic" said nobody who lives in the country EVER

8. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    The crowds in Launceston and Hobart have been well and truly down. Aurora Stadium in 2017 has averaged 15,571 out of a capacity of 20,000 and 14,324 over four games last year. While Blundstone Arena with a capacity of 20,000 has averaged 9,411 over both of its games so far in 2017 and 15,649 over its 3 three games in 2016. (Source: http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html).
    Probably doesn't help that games in Hobart are the AFEL-equivalent of the BBL; ridiculous scores coupled with horrific skills at every turn. I didn't keep an "official" count but by my estimation there were approximately 350 kicks that went out of bounds on the full on the non-broadcast wing during the Crows/North game.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Probably doesn't help that games in Hobart are the AFEL-equivalent of the BBL; ridiculous scores coupled with horrific skills at every turn. I didn't keep an "official" count but by my estimation there were approximately 350 kicks that went out of bounds on the full on the non-broadcast wing during the Crows/North game.
    Looking at the Ballarat ground - with one side of the ground completely open (no Grandstand), should we expect to see the same type of game riddled with errors and out of the full kicks due to winds?

Post Thanks / Like

If they build the second stage grandstand across the southern boundary then that should block much wind. Ballarat's Southerlies can be merciless. The western stand has been strategically placed to block the strong Westerlies, and the players benches will be well sheltered. Although, I think that the way that the Council are talking, I would expect that the Stage 2 grandstand will seat 4-5000 and be built across the area currently occupied by the hill on the eastern side of the ground - backing onto Creswick Road. The third stage would see a stand built to link the two and incorporate the new scoreboard.

If they are to raise capacity beyond that then they can enlarge the new terrace on the North Eastern side of the ground and 'vola' ... a 17,000 seat ground. The lighting may be an issue if the AFL want night games. The ground can realistically be upgraded in its current configuration to 800 lux (if they add lights across the roofs of the stands). But to get to TV standard then either two new towers would need to be added or the existing four towers would have to be upgraded further or replaced.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 13-05-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

On your second point, if Eureka is built to a 15,000 capacity it is likely that the crowd will be a mix of local Bulldogs supporters, passionate Melbourne based supporters (who never miss a game regardless of where its played), and of course supporters from across the wider western Victoria (Melton - Horsham). After all for people living in the country ... "I enjoy the trek to Melbourne and negotiating city traffic" said nobody who lives in the country EVER
    I'm not sure this logic paints a correct picture.

The joint crowds in Tasmania have been pretty strong and there and there is an element of the north south divide to consider in people being prepared to drive to both venues. I also think North have done a poor job in selling Hobart to it's existing and potential members. They are clearly taking the moment and not putting enough back into it. Crowds would also be down this year based on the performances of both clubs.

At this moment our clubs strength in performance on field means that Ballarat isn't great option for it's Melbourne based members.
    11K is less than half of what we can draw against most interstate teams at Etihad. Playing a SA based side and knowing their supporters are prepared to make a weekend of it and travel is also perplexing. Given the challenges of the weather in Ballarat a stadium that isn't enclosed that also offers little coverage to a lot of members standing in the outer could lose appeal very quickly.

I get that there is a financial benefit for us and that when this was originally planned we really needed it but things have change since.
    For the venue to become something more meaningful for some members we need phase two and or three to be fast tracked.
    I know it's not the council, the state government or the clubs fault but I have some doubts it will stick with a lot of our supporters.

I'll be going but I can see many choosing to do what Andrew P6 suggests and just have an afternoon in front of the tele and we can't blame anyone for taking that option.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

On your second point, if Eureka is built to a 15,000 capacity it is likely that the crowd will be a mix of local Bulldogs supporters, passionate Melbourne based supporters (who never miss a game regardless of where its played), and of course supporters from across the wider western Victoria (Melton - Horsham).
    Point taken, but we will still be a long way behind North & Hawthorn's second home membership tallies whilst we are only playing one game there. This link shows North's Tassie memberships are heavily centred on game day attendance at the multiple games they play down there

https://membership.nmfc.com.au/tasmania-memberships-1

After all for people living in the country ... "I enjoy the trek to Melbourne and negotiating city traffic" said nobody who lives in the country EVER
    Said nobody anywhere, ever

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

The western corridor of Melbourne is the fastest growing region in Australia and is a cornerstone of our own growth strategy. It won't be long before Ballarat (which itself is growing rapidly) is joined to the western corridor. This represents a fantastic opportunity to grow our supporter base incrementally and establish an exclusive 2nd home in a growing market that is already footy mad. I love it and I hope we continue to nurture this relationship and market.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The western corridor of Melbourne is the fastest growing region in Australia and is a cornerstone of our own growth strategy. It won't be long before Ballarat (which itself is growing rapidly) is joined to the western corridor. This represents a fantastic opportunity to grow our supporter base incrementally and establish an exclusive 2nd home in a growing market that is already footy mad. I love it and I hope we continue to nurture this relationship and market.
    Are you happy driving out to Ballarat and back to go to the game, or potentially not getting a ticket at all to a ground with an 11,000 capacity? Or committing to more games away from Etihad to help build the case for the capacity to be improved?

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you think North ditched Ballarat for Hobart?
    The history behind that is that North were effectively horse-traded out of Ballarat. Their separation from Ballarat definitely wasn't by their choice. They were quite happy to stay there and were offering four games per season if Eureka Stadium was redeveloped. But it was the Ballarat Council who announced in early 2015 that they would cease their $300,000 per year sponsorship of North Melbourne to maintain a VFL presence in Ballarat and instead pursued an association with the Bulldogs backed by the State Government, noting that the Bulldogs had expressed a desire to the AFL and the Ballarat Council back as far as 2012 to harbor Ballarat as a potential playing venue. As far back as 2014, the Tasmanian government and Tourism Tasmania were concerned that North Melbourne was being courted by Ballarat and may be lured away from Hobart so in 2015 they gave North an offer that they couldn't refuse. North were forced to quit Ballarat and to go where the money was being offered. The Bulldogs have definitely gotten the better end of the deal.

17. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The history behind that is that North were effectively horse-traded out of Ballarat. Their separation from Ballarat definitely wasn't by their choice. They were quite happy to stay there and were offering four games per season if Eureka Stadium was redeveloped. But it was the Ballarat Council who announced in early 2015 that they would cease their $300,000 per year sponsorship of North Melbourne to maintain a VFL presence in Ballarat and instead pursued an association with the Bulldogs backed by the State Government, noting that the Bulldogs had expressed a desire to the AFL and the Ballarat Council back as far as 2012 to harbor Ballarat as a potential playing venue. As far back as 2014, the Tasmanian government and Tourism Tasmania were concerned that North Melbourne was being courted by Ballarat and may be lured away from Hobart so in 2015 they gave North an offer that they couldn't refuse. North were forced to quit Ballarat and to go where the money was being offered. The Bulldogs have definitely gotten the better end of the deal.
    Yes, North didn't want to leave Ballarat, but they were forced to choose between Ballarat and Hobart. Why didn't they do what we are doing, try and own the rural extension of their inner city homeland instead of playing interstate? Because Tassie offered more money. It's worth more to them because people fly there, stay there, eat there etc. Same as Cairns

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, North didn't want to leave Ballarat, but they were forced to choose between Ballarat and Hobart. Why didn't they do what we are doing, try and own the rural extension of their inner city homeland instead of playing interstate? Because Tassie offered more money. It's worth more to them because people fly there, stay there, eat there etc. Same as Cairns
    No let's not gloss it over or try to re-write any history. I live in Ballarat, make no mistake, North were shown the door and were told that they were no longer going to be sponsored by the City of Ballarat in early 2015. They didn't even get the 2015 NAB cup gig in Ballarat, that instead went to the Bullies and the Dees (that tells you something). There was a lot of back room wheeling and dealing that went on between the Ballarat Council, the AFL and State Government. At the same time, because the Andrews government were still to confirm if they were going to develop Eureka Stadium (which wasn't announced until June 2015), it was the Tasmanian government (Tourism Tasmania) who got in first having made a very lucrative offer to the Roos. They offered the Roos 1 million per year to play three games in Hobart until 2021. The Hawks get around 1.5 million for four games in Launceston.