Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant is thriving in his new role on the wing

Love to watch him play. The opposite of Dale Morris who I also love to watch play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I would think Grant still has a bit of work to do to earn another contract with us.

Nothing outrageous, just prove he can be consistent across a prolonged period. Within this contract period we've seen about a dozen games of quality, and while I agree that due to injury last year he was at a disadvantage, he needs to give more than that before sign him up for two or three more years.
    Do you think he will do the work? Do you think he will get a contract or do you think we will finish him off at the end of the year?
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Do you think he will do the work? Do you think he will get a contract or do you think we will finish him off at the end of the year?
    His test will come over the next five or six weeks now there's two or three weeks worth of tapes for opposition analysts to scrutinise. If he can keep his work rate up and produce at the same time more opposition attention comes at him he's a better than even money chance to get another two years.

If he can't then I think he'll be cut loose. There's not many options left with him, and I think he and everyone else knows it.

Post Thanks / Like

Help me out here. I'm struggling with what this means. How would you describe/explain appropriate "running patterns" for JG while he is playing as winger, for example? How complex is this stuff for the players?

Post Thanks / Like

I think ( and hope ) the penny may have dropped .
    You need more than God gifted talents to get there, and if Jarryd keeps going it's a massive tick for himself and the coach.
    Two coaches couldn't unlock the key

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Help me out here. I'm struggling with what this means. How would you describe/explain appropriate "running patterns" for JG while he is playing as winger, for example? How complex is this stuff for the players?
    Zoning, structures, game plan, end to end running along lines etc I think.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The big one is running a certain way to clear space but also be a relevant option if you need to be. Or get to the next spot defencively or offencively.

As a forward you generally have space to run towards, and leave behind you. Or space to run back into and leave in front of you. You either chase or you don't, and finding a spot in a zone is easy.

On the wing/middle of the ground you've got more lateral space to worry about. Where you run at certain times determines the next role in the structure you can perform. Go too far one way and you've cooked the team defensively, go too far the other and on the break your team mates might be faced with no viable forward option and nobody to kick wide to in order to buy some time.

8. Likes bulldogtragic, The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. Who would be a good example of a winger who does this really well?
    Wouldn't mind going to watch someone do this to get a better understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. Who would be a good example of a winger who does this really well?
    Pearce Hanley is far and away the best at this when he is up and going. Gaff from West Coast is also very good.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is that just as you think "oh, I get it" then it all changes.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.