Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

Opponents But Still The Best of Friends

It's hard not to miss having Crossy around now to have him share some of our recent success. What a warrior he was for us and it sounds from this heartwarming article that his heart still beats red, white and blue.

Link

MATTHEW Boyd wonders what people standing outside must think, when the laughter bellows from inside the players’ meeting room.

Often, in the final pre-game address, amid all the serious talk about structures and pressure, Western Bulldogs’ coach Luke Beveridge will tell the players a joke, sometimes only moments before they run out just to help relieve any extra tension.
    “It can be a bit tense in there,” Boyd says. “And I’m especially tense. But when that door closes and there is silence and it’s a really serious time, all of a sudden you would hear this raucous laughter from inside the little room.
    “I would always think of the people outside who can hear us and wonder what they must be thinking out there? Wonder what are we doing?”

For Boyd, Beveridge has played a crucial role in helping the hardened ball-winner rediscover his love of the game, after thinking towards the end of last season, when “footy wasn’t quite as enjoyable as it had been in the past”, that it was all coming to an end.

The 32-year-old has moved to half-back this year and produced one of his most satisfying seasons, describing himself as a non-flashy “Diesel”, or “X-Trail” in a Whitten Oval garage that has a couple of shiny convertibles, too, in Robert Murphy, Easton Wood and Jason Johannisen.

“I said to ‘Murph’ the other day, ‘Just put me through the mud’. Give me a car wash at the end of the day and I’ll be sweet,” Boyd says.

“I’ve always just been a guy who has been able to grind away and try to adapt to my situation and surroundings.”

He is that sort of character, Boyd, remaining as selfless as ever over 255 ultra-consistent games.
    But in the hour or two before Sunday’s match against Melbourne, Boyd may be more edgy than normal, again testing the finely-tuned emotional radar of the Dogs’ first-year coach.

And not just because the club can put another down payment on a top-four berth with their ninth win in 11 matches against a dangerous opponent at Etihad Stadium.

You see, a part of Boyd will remain shattered, he said, that the man he considers his inspiration in life, Daniel Cross, will be wearing opposition colours.

The two ex-teammates remain best of friends two years after Cross was delisted from the Bulldogs and picked up by Melbourne.

While the Dogs’ young midfielders have helped take the club in an exhilarating new direction this season, Cross’s departure is still a difficult one for Boyd, who was captain at the time his close mate was farewelled.

“Yeah, he got written off, which was disappointing, because he is such a quality person and a quality player and a quality athlete and those guys don’t just fall off a cliff,” he said.

“He is elite in every aspect of his life and there would be no one in the AFL — and I reckon I can say this with a great deal of confidence — that would prepare themselves and give as much to the game as he does.

“And that doesn’t stop when he gets home, because I’ve seen him at home, and it’s a manic lifestyle that he lives just to prepare himself (to play). A guy like that isn’t going to just fall over.”

Boyd was right.
    For the second consecutive year, Cross is headed for a top-five finish in Melbourne’s best and fairest, after another outstanding season throwing himself into any dangerous space that opens up in Melbourne’s back line, just as Boyd has done.

After 12 years playing alongside each other, they still talk often, and watch each other’s games whenever their schedule allows.

“His performance this year has been unbelievable,” Boyd said of Cross.
    “He’s been one of Melbourne’s best and most consistent performers and I watch Melbourne a little bit because we are pretty close and I see what he does week-in, week-out and I’m amazed by it.

“I think it would be pretty rare for players to have idols and have inspirations that are younger than them and have played less games than them, but ‘Crossy’ is that bloke to me.

“I don’t think I would still be playing, or be the player that I was, if I didn’t know him, if I didn’t spend countless hours, hundreds of hours with him throughout our early days in our career. He is amazing.”

Cross, 32, feels the same.
    In the early part of his new life at Melbourne, his mobile phone would buzz regularly, with Boyd’s name often the one flashing up on the screen after training, just to check in.

“Without him, I would have found my transition (to Melbourne) really hard, because he was a massive support to me,” Cross said.

“We still talk weekly now, or every second week, but he was always the one ringing me in that first year when I transitioned just to see how I was going.

“He was terrific for me to … (pauses) know that I made the right decision (to play on at another club).

“So, he is great friend. Not just a great teammate, a really great friend. And I’m super proud of him this year.
    “I still watch a lot of the Bulldogs games and keep an eye on Bob (Murphy) and Dale (Morris) and these guys.
    “And the way he (Boyd) has transitioned into the defensive role has been like a duck to water and Luke Beveridge deserves some of the credit, too, for seeing that in him.”

Initially, Boyd and Cross joined forces in the midfield playing for Werribee, in the VFL, before helping steer the Bulldogs to three-straight preliminary finals, under Rodney Eade, in 2008-10.

In 2011, Boyd, a three-time best and fairest and two time all-Australian, finished equal fourth in the Brownlow Medal, but the anguish of getting so close to the big dance will never leave them, and in part, still drives them.

Cross said his connection with his former teammates (and their partners and families) remains incredibly strong, meaning he, too, will be more toey than usual before Sunday’s game.

“I have probably never been so nervous before a game, even (before) finals games than the first time we played them last year,” Cross said.

“Being so close with those guys, who I spent nearly every waking hour with, and now competing against them is super hard.
    “It’s probably eased a little bit this year but I still think of them as my teammates.

“We will just have opposing jumpers on and we are both competitive and both want to win for the jumpers we are wearing.”

Both players want to sign new deals to play on next season, barring unforeseen backflips from their clubs.

Boyd lets himself contemplate playing finals for the first time since 2010, only in some rare quiet moments, adamant the team will slip up the moment it takes its eye off the next contest.

“The game will just go past you and it’s gone past us before,” Boyd said.
    “You have got to earn the right to play finals and we haven’t done that yet.”

Certainly, he is enjoying the ride, albeit, a more emotionally challenging one on Sunday.
    “I jump out of bed every morning just about, apart from when I land I can hardly walk, but I do bounce out of bed,” he laughed.

“And I am really keen to get here and interact with an unbelievable young group of players who are just so eager to get better and so eager to make this club better and get some success for this footy club.

“That’s inspiring to the older players around the place.

“So, while there is that passion still burning really brightly inside, of course I want to hang on and white-knuckle it all the way to the end and until they remove me surgically from this place.”

BEST OF BUDDIES

Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross game averages and club rankings for 2015.
    BOYD
    Ranking points 103, 2nd
    Disposals 27.3, 2nd
    Uncontested possessions 18.8, 1st
    Metres gained 392m, 4th
    Intercept possessions 6.7, 2nd
    Intercept marks 1.2, equal 8th

CROSS
    Ranking points 94, 5th
    Disposals 22.1, 3rd
    Uncontested possessions 13.2, 5th
    Metres gained 231m, 14th
    Intercept possessions 5.8, 3rd
    Intercept marks 1.9, 2nd

Source: Champion Data

2. Thanks N/A, bornadog, The bulldog tragician, josie thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opponents But Still The Best of Friends

It's interesting to think that without the presence of Boyd, Cross would have been a chance to retain one more year on our list.

I'm happy they're still chummy, both deserve the fruits of what's in front of them for the limited time they have in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember a couple of articles written years ago about Boyd and Cross, how they were best mates and bonded by their fanaticism in getting the very best out of themselves.

I am really pleased to see Cross do so well at Melbourne. He was a wonderful contributor for us and deserves to wring every drop out of his career.

Melbourne did well to select him for his leadership for their young list. I remember years ago, they also did well in getting Stephen Powell from us, another hard worker who ended up being their best player in a grand final.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Crossy as much now as when he played for us. It's rare, like Boydy says, that you see a player just give so much. As a true fan, one must honour that commitment in return, I feel, and therefore I cheer him every time he gets the ball against us. I'm not barracking for Melbourne, I'm barracking for Daniel Cross. I'll do so again today.

Let's hope Cross kicks a few and we smash the other 21 blokes.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, Drunken Bum, strebla, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crossy is an absolute champion of our club. I did and still do agree with the decision that was made to move him on but it's brilliant to see him doing well. Here's hoping he's the best player today in a team that gets a pounding.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I really do like Cross and can never be mad at him not playing for us. I hate seeing him in a Melbourne jumper, but he had no choice at the time.

Where would Bevo play Cross if he was till with us? I am sure he would have reinvented him as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I really do like Cross and can never be mad at him not playing for us. I hate seeing him in a Melbourne jumper, but he had no choice at the time.

Where would Bevo play Cross if he was till with us? I am sure he would have reinvented him as well.
    I'm the same, I can't stand seeing Cross in that horrible jumper. Never the less I am glad that he has shown that he wasn't washed up and he's got a few more years post the dogs out of himself.

I still see him as a Bulldog and not a demon. However I believe we made the correct call at the time to move him on to help fast track the development of our list.

10. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Like everyone else - I loved Crossy in the time he played for us. But very hard to see where/what role Crossy would have played if he was at the club now.

Seeing him out there on Sunday - personally, I thought he looked a fair way off being likely to be in our best 22.

I still believe it was just a good result all round that he got to play on elsewhere. I fear that playing on next year will be one too many for him though.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't help but whisper "Crossy" under my breath and half smile every time he won a hard ball on Sunday. He's just a gun.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.