Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  58
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's the year of the Dog, but 'Macca' should take a bow

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Post of the year.
    Because he references me?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Because he references me?
    Of course
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Beveridge is chopped liver then!

Pfft. Of course there is some carry over attributes from Macca but what Beveridge has done in 9 months Macca didn't do in his whole time here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    If that's the case wouldn't it then be unlikely he'd be a much loved figure amongst the playing group? All the player's coming from Geelong seem to speak of him in glowing terms, so he couldn't have purely been the bad cop so to speak.
    I don't disagree. Though, he may have had some issues in changing from the bad cop at Geelong and delivering a more consistently positive message with his time with us.

When the world's on your shoulder it becomes a lot tougher to be the man/woman you used to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Heard it mentioned by a member of the inner sanctum. Bevo didn't need to make a lot of adjustments on the defensive side of things.
    Players like Wood had been dropped the previous season because he had become too defensive minded and wasn't advancing the ball quickly enough.
    I've always said it is completely self indulgent to suggest we see things the coaching staff of AFL teams can't in this day and age.

To think that McCartney's coaching strategy was just about crowding the ball, not having numbers ready to defend the counter attack and having no coherent spread instruction to the players is laughable.
    Last edited by jeemak; 27-08-2015 at 09:35 AM.

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've always said it is completely self indulgent to suggest we see things the coaching staff of AFL teams can't in this day and age.

To think that McCartney's coaching strategy was just about crowding the ball, not having numbers ready to defend the counter attack and having no coherent spread instruction to the players is laughable.

If it looks like a turd, smells like a turd, then it's more than likely a turd.

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    If it looks like a turd, smells like a turd, then it's more than likely a turd.
    Hahaha, that's a reasonable point!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Is there a never-ending line of Geelong lackeys in the media that will do everything possible to talk up one of their 'own'? Can't they just acknowledge the bleeding obvious, that BMac was laughably out of his depth as a senior coach?
    Ryan Griffon. His game improved under BMac. Gia became a fantastic sub. Grant was just a new player under Eade but he improved a lot under Brendan. Higgins became a bit harder. I can't agree. Players tried hard for their new coach, who said all the right things. Once they sensed what I think would have been the noticeable lack of game day tactical nous, things fell apart - guessing.

It was hard being a dogs supporter during the McCartney era, especially when you went to games, and the style we had. The backline is the biggest differential for me between the two coaches. Easton Wood is in AA form and personally, I doubted he would go from athlete to footballer. Think I'm not the only person in that boat? There seemed to be only a few good games for him under Brendan.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 27-08-2015 at 04:45 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Searching something else in old threads I came across this: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...ight=mcg+games

One win in 19 games and nightmare stats have made these Western Bulldogs yelpless

WESTERN Bulldogs have been exposed as all power and no polish, with rivals feasting on their chronic lack of ball movement.

As former star forward Barry Hall laments "you don't know what side is going to show up" each week, exclusive Champion Data figures reveal serious problems at Whitten Oval.

Under coach Brendan McCartney, the Dogs average more clearance and contested possessions than the opposition each week, but struggle badly to move the ball with any fluency.

From their defensive 50m, the Dogs are the worst side in the competition at advancing the ball inside their forward 50 with an unbroken chain of possession.

Bulldogs hit the paws button

They score only 18.5 per cent of the time from a clearance - again ranked 18th.

Remarkably, they are the worst kicking team in the AFL at a paltry 60.6 per cent efficiency.
    This article sums up what we had to endure under Macca. What a difference Bevo has made and now he has taken us into the finals.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes bulldogtragic, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul Roos coaches on a dour contested gameplay and sought out Macca to help him with it, seeing that Macca was implementing the same gameplay. They are an apparent perfect marriage of footy/coaching philosophy so they say. They are dinosaurs pushing a gameplay that is about 7 years past its use by date. Melbourne despite loading up on more and more talent are not getting ahead with this style of play and being coached in the philosophy. Al Clarkson has revamped his gameplan 10 times since these guys decided to live in the past. To highlight this, the Roos/Macca game style is the lowest scoring team this year, the very worst scoring team, and they have Hogan, Dawes, Watts and other talented kids being fed by Jones, Vince, Brayshaw etc. They're killing their talent with their bygone game plan. If Roos and Macca got sacked by Melbourne and next year a new coach catapaulted them up the ladder would there be this conga line of Melbourne people offering praise for their new found success??

Last year our club was at the lowest point I have ever known in my entire lifetime. Without a shadow of doubt the gitwrenchingly lowest ebb and on its knees. Macca was in charge when this happened and his poor leadership was cited by the captain in leaving and by Jake Stringer with PG. His competence is best summarised by the plethora of players now playing to a very high level in appropriate positions. We are now playing finals and 100% credit in my books goes to the club, the coach, the captain and the players. Bring on finals!!
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 29-08-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What's PG?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    What's PG?
    Peter Gordon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Heard it mentioned by a member of the inner sanctum. Bevo didn't need to make a lot of adjustments on the defensive side of things.
    Players like Wood had been dropped the previous season because he had become too defensive minded and wasn't advancing the ball quickly enough.
    Perhaps they are just being kind??? The difference between our defence from last year to this year is absolutely staggering

18. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Last year our club was at the lowest point I have ever known in my entire lifetime. Without a shadow of doubt the gitwrenchingly lowest ebb and on its knees. Macca was in charge when this happened and his poor leadership was cited by the captain in leaving and by Jake Stringer with PG. His competence is best summarised by the plethora of players now playing to a very high level in appropriate positions. We are now playing finals and 100% credit in my books goes to the club, the coach, the captain and the players. Bring on finals!!
    Yep he was in charge and ultimately responsible for that mess.

To claim Gia being a good sub is down to Macca is laughable. A model professional and club man getting on with the job isn't a stroke of genius.

20. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Perhaps they are just being kind??? The difference between our defence from last year to this year is absolutely staggering
    Not at all, the training was already in place. Wood was dropped last year because he didn't take the game on and on his return to Footscray Maple talked on what they were insisting Wood needed to do. He did exactly what was expected of him and was back in the seniors the following week. We weren't far off the mark defensively.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"