Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Enough of this nonsense.........

Ok folks, this is getting out of control.

I DEMAND, yes demand a press conference right now, its clear to me that both papers, the small one and the big one have clearly gotten out of control.

WE ARE NOT FAVOURITES TO WIN THE PREMIERSHIP, GET OFF THE BANDWAGON.

Look, i'll admit,we are an OK side, and things are going along quite well, and yes that new guy with more hair than I have is kicking a few goals, but are we equal to Geelong and St Kilda? Honestly? its far too early to tell, lets not pump up our own tyres to the point of them exploding.

So lets take a big deep breath, lets still book our holidays overseas for that last week in September, just like we have for the last 56 years, and lets not do or change anything.

Yes, the final four is a realistic expectation, but is winning the flag? the road is too long, there is too many variables, and most importantly has the opposition improved too lets not forget that.

ReLoad
    PS: The NAB cup reminds me of my own little story: I made my first ever hundred in cricket, a one dayer playing against first class opposition, and i always said to myself, it doesnt get any better i should give it away. Sure enough next week i made a golden duck. The moral of the story: lets just keep a damn lid on it and not get ahead of ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ok, Enough of this nonsense.........

I can't really agree.
    In previous years we have been in a good position to get into the Grand Final and take the flag, and we've ruined it.
    This year we're doing something different. Alot more media attention and confidence is good for the supporters and the team i believe. I don't think the lid is off, i think we are finally confident with the team with have and genuinely believe we can win this thing, and showing that to the public and media isn't getting ahead of ourselves really.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see a problem with it myself, it has to generate more memberships which is awesome, for as long as i remember, we have NEVER been even thought about as favourites or equal favourites, and that history suggests those calls were spot on.

Part of having a winning culture, is believing you are good, no, KNOWING you are good, and not just hoping, like we have done in the past, we have always had this loser mentality, and quite frankly, i'm sick of it, and Saturday night was the start i hope, of now really believing we will beat anyone, and having that engraved into every single mind.

Just my opinion, but those that can't handle some heat, end up crashing & burning, and only that REAL belief, will get us to where we need to be, and not just keep on hoping!

Every single Premiership side has had that belief, almost seen as arrogance, and as far as i remember, we have never had that, always been there abouts, and that shows in out in our trophy cabinet.

We have to strive to be number 1, and not again just making up the numbers, and we have the REALLY believe that, and not just fake it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post

I DEMAND, yes demand a press conference right now, its clear to me that both papers, the small one and the big one have clearly gotten out of control.

Look, i'll admit,we are an OK side, and things are going along quite well, and yes that new guy with more hair than I have is kicking a few goals, but are we equal to Geelong and St Kilda? Honestly? its far too early to tell, lets not pump up our own tyres to the point of them exploding.

So lets take a big deep breath, lets still book our holidays overseas for that last week in September, just like we have for the last 56 years, and lets not do or change anything.

Yes, the final four is a realistic expectation, but is winning the flag? the road is too long, there is too many variables, and most importantly has the opposition improved too lets not forget that.

ReLoad
    PS: The NAB cup reminds me of my own little story: I made my first ever hundred in cricket, a one dayer playing against first class opposition, and i always said to myself, it doesnt get any better i should give it away. Sure enough next week i made a golden duck. The moral of the story: lets just keep a damn lid on it and not get ahead of ourselves.
    Why wouldn't winning a flag be a realistic expectation? If we didn't believe we were not a realistic chance, we might as well pack it all in right now!

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW all this media hoo ha is good for memberships IMO. Serves a purpose for now.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a mature side and have played in preliminary finals the last two years...surely the papers are only repeating the internal expectations?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the OP. Playing the underdog and keeping a lid on things has clearly worked wonders for the last 55 years - why fix something that ain't broke?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post

ReLoad
    You say go ahead and book your September holidays as we have for the last 56 years. Not losers like me I have never booked holidays until after the footy season with the faint hope that we might make it one day. I don't think it would be a good idea to break the tradition, especially this year. I was asked to go away last weekend about 6 weeks ago, I looked up the NAB cup fixture and said can't go the NAB cup grand final is that weekend, what if we make it. The others are Bulldogs as well said we won't make it, we never do any good in the NAB Cup !, they were disappoint they missed it. I never missed it it and will only ever miss for one reason, I'M DEAD !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldBulldog View Post
    You say go ahead and book your September holidays as we have for the last 56 years. Not losers like me I have never booked holidays until after the footy season with the faint hope that we might make it one day.
    Exactly what i did last year, i left the Tuesday after the grand final(missed our b n f tho damit) just hoping wed make that last Saturday in September....we almost did it.......Im so sick of almost doing it.....i want to do it...i want to be at the MCG on the last Saturday in September, watching our Bulldog boys running around and getting the cup that we all want so badly....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minson27 View Post
    Exactly what i did last year, i left the Tuesday after the grand final(missed our b n f tho damit) just hoping wed make that last Saturday in September....we almost did it.......Im so sick of almost doing it.....i want to do it...i want to be at the MCG on the last Saturday in September, watching our Bulldog boys running around and getting the cup that we all want so badly....
    Here Here !
    See you at the Grand Final and after party at the Whitten Oval !
    How things have changed, maybe now we should be booking our holidays to coincide with the Grand Final, so we can enjoy all the lead up and a week to get over the partying, WOW what a party it would be !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I agree with the OP. Playing the underdog and keeping a lid on things has clearly worked wonders for the last 55 years - why fix something that ain't broke?

I'm actually enjoying us being favourites(for a change) and appearing in the papers numerous times daily.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the latest poll from the Herald Sun today.

Results: Flag favourites
    Thanks for voting!
    Who do you think will win the AFL premiership this year?
    • Adelaide 2.78% (26 votes)
    • Collingwood 15.71% (147 votes)
    • Geelong 14.96% (140 votes)
    • Hawthorn 9.08% (85 votes)
    • St Kilda 11.86% (111 votes)
    • Western Bulldogs 34.62% (324 votes)
    • Other team 11% (103 votes)
    Total votes: 936

OK people can any Bulldog member remember this ever happening before??

It has to be good for membership, sponsorship and merchandise sales.

The Club should make some good cash this year.

And all going well something extra for the cabinet!

Post Thanks / Like

I came very close to booking a flight for the PFs and Gf last year in May when the airfare was only $770 return. However, my niece was getting married PF weekend and there was no way I could get out of it, if I wanted to live. I did make provisional plans to fly out the day after the wedding if the Bulldogs made it to the GF. It was just going to be personally horrendous leaving here at that time at such short notice due to family responsibilities.

This year I'll be making my final decision sometime in June or July. I should have enough FF points to fly for free. I am going to determine criteria to help me make my decision that early. As of right now I'm planning to arrive possibly Sept 10 to go to a reunion for one of the schools where I taught.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post

The Club should make some good cash this year.

And all going well something extra for the cabinet!
    No, it just means we can afford to buy a new cabinet.

I think you guys are missing my point, its not about us, the team, the internal staff, and all the faithful expecting us to do well, we all know you have to believe you can do it before you do it, but its about the papers and the press and every other head shaped like a football person out there.

What im saying is this, yes we can believe, we can even know how damn good we are, but we cannot get ahead of ourselves. Cats in 2008 anyone?

Do you all not think just for one minute that we are letting things get out of control?

Maybe im wrong, maybe its because i still miss the donut van at the scoreboard end of the whitten oval on a rainy saturday afternoon............ who knows, either way, im worried.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
    I came very close to booking a flight for the PFs and Gf last year in May when the airfare was only $770 return. However, my niece was getting married PF weekend and there was no way I could get out of it, if I wanted to live. I did make provisional plans to fly out the day after the wedding if the Bulldogs made it to the GF. It was just going to be personally horrendous leaving here at that time at such short notice due to family responsibilities.

This year I'll be making my final decision sometime in June or July. I should have enough FF points to fly for free. I am going to determine criteria to help me make my decision that early. As of right now I'm planning to arrive possibly Sept 10 to go to a reunion for one of the schools where I taught.
    Go ahead and book the trip Chicago1, you will not be sorry !

Don't forget to allow enough time after we win the grand final for the celebrations !, they will go forever.