Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beasley Vs Hall

becmatty Guest

Beasley Vs Hall

Week 1: Beasley Vs Hall

We all put our faith in the 22 players who represent the Doggies each week, but would they be selected for their position if they were pitted against Bulldog stars of yesteryear?

Each week, I will match two similar players against each other and leave it to our WOOFers to argue who would get the nod.

To kick off, I have selected Barry Hall and Simon Beasley to battle it out for the full forward position. This is not a selection for the contribution to our club alone, but an overall comparison for their entire careers, considering their achievements and attributes...

With Simon being selected in the club's Hall of Fame this week, many might argue that he is a certainty for the spot. He booted 12 goals on three occassions, and 11 and 10 in separate matches also. He snagged seven in the 1985 Semi Final to help almost propell Footscray into the Grand Final, was the 1985 Coleman Medalist, seven-time club leading goal kicker (1982-1988), Bulldog Team of the Century Full Forward and the club's all-time leading goal kicker. A one-club champion, he was a Bulldog, through and through. So how could you possibly mount a case for Hall to take his spot?...

Barry is a premiership captain of course (with Sydney), has more goals to his name and has stood the test of time longer than The Pieman. He currently leads the Doggies' goal kicking this season at aged 33 and is a hot tip for the Coleman medal. Renowned as one of the tougest, most fearsome figures to have ever played the game, he has smashed opposition defences for a remarkable 15 season, topped the Swans goal kicking honours on seven occassions (2002-2008) and twice at St Kilda (1999 & 2001), was the Swans' 2004 Best and Fairest and three-time All-Australian. His versitility to also play at CHF, hulking strength and explosive pace has elevated him to cult-status at Whitten Oval.

Simon Beasley: 154 Games, 575 Goals (Average 3.73 goals per game)
    Barry Hall: 260 Games, 644 Goals (average 2.48 per game)

So who is your choice?
    Last edited by becmatty; 04-06-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beasley Vs Hall

I would lean toward Hall, only because the game has changed a lot since Simon played.
    Simon was reasonable good overhead and extremely good on the lead but you also need to be more defensive nowadays and Barry has better strength and aggression(when controlled)

We just need Barry to come out and get some double figures.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I would choose Beasley, because he was a boyhood idol of mine and he's a Bulldog through and through. Simon was a better full forward IMO, while Hall spent the majority of his time as a CHF. Both of these guys in the one side would be awesome.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the figures its Beasley, I believe I read somewhere he kicked the most goals in the AFL over a 10 year span.
    He wasnt the best when the ball hit the ground and was dropped when it was wet.
    If Simon had played another 100 games he would have kicked 300 more goals than Hall.

I actually thought Barry would have been better by a mile and if you look at success he is.
    Has Barry played all his career at fullforward though? I think he played CHF for a while making goals harder to come by.
    If you put both together i dont think Beasley would compete with his toughness either.

Interesting couple Becmatty, great choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Looking at the figures its Beasley, I believe I read somewhere he kicked the most goals in the AFL over a 10 year span.
    He kicked the most goals of any of player thru the 1980's.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to make adjustments for the era - Beasley was a dominant FF for his time, and Hall spent the majority of his career at CHF.
    Given we are playing Hall at FF, you have to judge them on a FF vs FF basis - in that respect, I'm leaning towards the Pieman.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey talk about chalk and cheese!! Beasley was very quick on the lead and an outstanding kick Barry has him covered for ground skills.I'd take Simon but it would have been interesting how Beasley would have gone in the current era with the clogged up space.The player I think who'd have been a star in this era would have been E.J Junior with those immaculate kicking skills.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked Hall, taking that the thread was taking things at the current times. If you put them in their own time slots I would pick Simon.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I think Welsh played a similar game to Beasley although a little shorter and slower for mine. I think that Hall plays a lot higher than Simon so hard to compare because historically they play different positions. I think Simon could have played in today's game no problem. Quick, Good lead, Great hands, Great kick. Halls is different Good lead, OK hands, Good Kick, and Fear Factor. To hard to pick for me. But not being a commentator and sitting on the fence I will pick the true blood in the Pie Man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Ward View Post
    I think Welsh played a similar game to Beasley although a little shorter and slower for mine. I think that Hall plays a lot higher than Simon so hard to compare because historically they play different positions. I think Simon could have played in today's game no problem. Quick, Good lead, Great hands, Great kick. Halls is different Good lead, OK hands, Good Kick, and Fear Factor. To hard to pick for me. But not being a commentator and sitting on the fence I will pick the true blood in the Pie Man.
    Beasley would be a star in today's game because he was such a good lead, was quick and was very tall. The exact combination that the hands-in-the-back and chopping-the-arms rules make undefendable.

Post Thanks / Like

Simon took pride of place in the 80s on the back of my duffle coat so is very hard to remove bias. As Sockeye mentions was a strong lead up mark and with it a beautiful kick. If choosing based on Barry's achievements then I go with Barry simply because he's managed to hold a cup aloft as premiership captain. This aside it's The Pieman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    . If choosing based on Barry's achievements then I go with Barry simply because he's managed to hold a cup aloft as premiership captain. This aside it's The Pieman.
    This comment in general frustrates me no end.

Lets use Chris Grant as an example. He is never spoken in the same breath by the media or general footy public as players like Carey or J Brown or G Jakovich purely because he has never played in a winning grand final. Is this Chris Grants fault?

Im sick of players reputations being enhanced because they were fortunate enough to be in a team which managed to win the grand final in any given year.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your point Bob but he was also captain at the time, which I think adds to an achievement Pieman never had.

Post Thanks / Like

Being a premiership player just means they were lucky enough to play in the same team as other good player.

Last night they appointed a legend who I don't think ever played in a final.

Post Thanks / Like

I never had the opportunity to see Beasley play so don't take this as a vote Bec but on stats alone that is an outstanding goal per game average from Simon.