Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitch Wallis = ??

I haven't seen all that much of him, but he is pretty much his own player, not a great deal like anyone in the AFL. You could say he plays like Bartel - inside or outside, neat kick, smart - but his style is very different to any current player, maybe moves a bit like Sam Mitchell and kicks in the same style as Michael Hurley - very loose drop of the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    I heard from a so called expert, that he plays alot like Robert Harvey use too.
    I quite like the comparison, his kicking is precise and creative but he doesnt have the penetration of a Goddard or Gilbee, he wont be a purely outside receiver but will be quite a good runner of the ball even if he isnt quick. I can see the comparisons.

Post Thanks / Like

Calm down, has he ever played a game against men yet, or only ever under age stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of interesting insights

Doesn't sound like one for whom there is an obvious direct comparison

Probably Selwood is a good one to compare yourself to if you want to be drafted

Looking forwarding to seeing young Mitch have a good preseason and hopefully put his name forward for NAB cup

Post Thanks / Like

My impression of him was 'linkman'.

He just works hard to get to space to receive the ball and create an option, but then also has the ability to win the ball in close. I tend to think in a Collingwood style, play the boundary line game plan a player like Mitch would be super effective.

There aren't really too many players that are similar to him, and that's make it difficult to assess how he might best cause damage at AFL level. Will be interesting to see how he develops over the coming season.

Post Thanks / Like

Lenny Hayes?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Lenny Hayes?
    God that would be nice, especially in a prelim final!!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Lenny Hayes?
    That's Libba , who despite being the second of our picks I am very excited about, and I think he has more natural talent than many are giving him credit for - more than Wallis I think. His work in close is obviously much publicised, but I have also been impressed with his long and accurate left boot and ball skills. I get the feeling Mitch will have to work harder than Libba will to become an AFL quality player, although both seem willing to work their arses off anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Lenny Hayes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    That's Libba ,
    Ward will be our Lenny.

Libba will be our Sam Mitchell.

Wallis, I'm not sure about yet.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Wallis, I'm not sure about yet.
    Its not easy finding a current player that is a good match for the way Wallis plays is it?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Its not easy finding a current player that is a good match for the way Wallis plays is it?
    He’s an unusual type. The play which keeps popping up when I try to find a comparison is Steel Sidebottom.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Sounds a bit like Simon black maybe?
    I've heard of one recruiter & player manager compare Libba's style of play to Simon Black - inside mid with very good footskills.

The same people also both rated Libba higher than Wallis, simply on the style of game they will take to AFL. Wallis cuts teams up when he finds space, and they said he wont be able to find as much time at AFL level, so will have to rush his disposal and they expect his efficientcy to drop.

Make no mistake, Wallis is very highly rated but not everyone thinks he's better than young Tom.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I've heard of one recruiter & player manager compare Libba's style of play to Simon Black - inside mid with very good footskills.

The same people also both rated Libba higher than Wallis, simply on the style of game they will take to AFL. Wallis cuts teams up when he finds space, and they said he wont be able to find as much time at AFL level, so will have to rush his disposal and they expect his efficientcy to drop.

Make no mistake, Wallis is very highly rated but not everyone thinks he's better than young Tom.
    I haven't seen either of the boys play, does Wallis have pace?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not super quick but quick enough to run to the right spots. At AFL level I'd guess he'll be more dangerous due to footy smarts & disposal ability than athletic ability.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Libba tested a touch under 3 sec for 20m, Wallis a touch over.

Good results without being outstanding. Better than either of their fathers would have done.