Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Costa Guest

Had a go at a new Bulldogs logo

Hi guys. I've had a crack at designing a new Bulldogs logo and I'm keen to hear what you guys think. I checked it out with GVG and he's cool for me to run this by you.

I'm a designer and I have a website with a folio of my footy artwork. A while back I got an email from a Doggies fan who asked me to come up with a more aggressive logo... something with a bit more bite and character than the present badge.

I tried to incorporate a bit of the club's history in the design - there's more info on my sportslogos and footy jumpers website.

What do you think? I reckon sports logos only really work when they sum up what the supporters want to say about their club, which is why I'm here. If you think this is missing anything or needs a tweak or two I'd love to hear your feedback

Cheers guys. Thanks for having me stop by.
    Last edited by Costa; 30-06-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Had a go at a new Bulldogs logo

Costa

Looks great- much prefer the proud Bulldog to the current yawning robo-dog!

Would be a big move for the club, and would also require a new jumper

A design with more red than blue would be interesting

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...your-mind.html
    Last edited by BulldogBelle; 11-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Costa Guest

Cheers Dog House. I think pride sums it up... the current Doggies logo's not bad, but I just felt it's a bit flat and vacant. I wanted to come up with something that had a bit more attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Costa,

Can I start by saying any new logo has to be an improvement on our current one.

I like the simplicity with the color, though I am not a fan of the grey in it, our colours are simply red, white & blue.

I think the shield could be a little wider, just seems a bit narrow.

I would prefer it if the points at the top of the shield on the left & right were at the same height as the point at the centre, that way the word Western could be the same size as Bulldogs. I would also prefer a more rounded font, rather than one where the letters are 'squared' off like you see on the numbers on a gridiron jumper.

The back end of the Bulldog also looks a little plain. Not really knowing what the back end of a Bulldog should look like, just that this seems to lack something.

I like the placement of the ball between the Bulldog's front legs, reminiscent of one of our older logos.

Please don't be offended by my comments.

I just wish I had the skills to play around & create these sort of designs.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Rocco started a thread a while back:

Bring back the proud Bulldog
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Costa Guest

Cheers Coon Dog. Can't say I've been close to the rear end of a Bulldog, but if I see one I'll let you know what I find!

I made the shield a bit smaller so that the figure of the Bulldog becomes the primary focus. Didn't want it to feel like it was just floating in space - having it's paws outside the shield helps ground it a bit.

Take what you say about the grey. If I have some spare time I'll have a go at the shape of the shield's crown / font style.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, well done.

Should send it off to the club, we need it changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Good go at it Costa - good on you.

I like the approach, drawing on the old logo, but It's a bit too complex.
    At first glance there is something about the colour balance that makes it not look like WB. At first glance I thought ' Freo' for some reason.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe the fact that there are two bars of blue and the edges are blue, so it weighs too much in the overall design.

I think it really has some strong points- the Dog has a great expression and feels balanced. That's hard to get right.

Make it flatter and more simplified.
    eg: loose the Bevel on the Shield.
    I reckon the shield is too rounded. A bit more square shaped less rounded perhaps, ie
    old school VFL badges.

The chest muscle of the dog is a bit wavy, not right?

Have you had a go putting the red and white in the same composition as post 80s design ei with large red bar and two thin white bars above and below?

I prefer your character ' the dog' over robo dog, but still feel Robo dog in terms of colour balance says 'WB' than the one above. That's tweakable for sure. Good effort.

The font is not bad - interesting and strong. Would like to see some of your other choices in terms of font too.

Well done Costa. I reckon you have had a great crack at it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I like is the whole guarding of the football thing it has going on. Just like a dog protecting something. "This ball is mine. Don't try and take it."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    One thing that I like is the whole guarding of the football thing it has going on. Just like a dog protecting something. "This ball is mine. Don't try and take it."
    Yeah that's my favourite part as well. I like the Bulldog and the way it stands outside the shield. The team name font and facial expression of the Dog give the logo a strong feel too.

Negatives, I agree with TCD on the top of the shield and GD on the Dog's chest.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Costa, Its a double thumbs up from me.

Hey GVGjr how about replacing your bulldog logo with the bulldog and ball in the shield at the top of the page just before the Whitten Oval Online Forum?.

Post Thanks / Like

WD Costa, not sure about the dog wearing a 50's style bra though

Post Thanks / Like

I like the overall look, especially the ball placement like others have noted. And the eye(s). Looks mean. I like.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

I really like it Costa, I am a fan of the 'proud bulldog'. Is there any way if fitting the bulldogs rear right leg in? Looks a bit funny to me with only 3 legs.