PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Grant announced as assistant

Grantysghost
05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Mcartney getting his mates across.

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/124658/default.aspx)

Desipura
05-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/124658/default.aspx)

Give the guy a break.

ledge
05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Give the guy a break.

I agree, you are going to look at people you worked with as you know them and what they are capable of.

Coaches pick the assistants they know that suit the idea they want to go with.

Plus is he only worked with him for 1 year, so must have been really impressed to over take anyone from Geelong who he was with for years.

G-Mo77
05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
It's not quite as bad but it's up there with Wayne Campbell coaching at the club. I couldn't stand Shannon Grant as a footballer!

In regards to him as a coach, well anyone who coaches a developmental VFL side who gets caught running around pissed and making a complete arse of himself in public doesn't really fill me with confidence of the selection.

I know everyone deserves a second chance but I don't feel very positive about it.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Met Shannon Grant down at Essendown when I was going to try out for the Bendigo Bombers. Unfortunately had some issues with my body so it never eventuated, but he was a very nice guy. Very impressive, really made the young guys feel at ease. Down to earth.

Heard he'd done some good things down at Bendigo thereafter, and those results are solid given they were a really ordinary side not too long ago.

Grantysghost
05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Give the guy a break.

With Egan and Grant the only two i've seen mentioned its a logical assumption....Were other candidates interviewed? Peter German or Gary Ayres should be considered in my opinion.

LostDoggy
05-10-2011, 04:56 PM
It's not quite as bad but it's up there with Wayne Campbell coaching at the club. I couldn't stand Shannon Grant as a footballer!

In regards to him as a coach, well anyone who coaches a developmental VFL side who gets caught running around pissed and making a complete arse of himself in public doesn't really fill me with confidence of the selection.

I know everyone deserves a second chance but I don't feel very positive about it.

I agree I met him once and he was a rude a-hole.

G-Mo77
05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
With Egan and Grant the only two i've seen mentioned its a logical assumption....Were other candidates interviewed? Peter German or Gary Ayres should be considered in my opinion.

Got told by someone I know that Ayres is being interviewed by St. Kilda. With what position I don't know, also has been interviewed for a Port Adeliade assistant role.

KT31
05-10-2011, 05:00 PM

If that's what it takes to win a flag, so be it !

Grantysghost
05-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Got told by someone I know that Ayres is being interviewed by St. Kilda. With what position I don't know, also has been interviewed for a Port Adeliade assistant role.

Thats interesting, with the season he had at Port would be very suprised if he wasn't at an AFL club next year, could be your Essendons or your Carlton's or your St.Kildas.... sorry its been done to death but i couldn't help thy self.

Remi Moses
05-10-2011, 05:06 PM
McCartney's entitled to pick his team he wants .
Maybe he should conduct a straw poll on here for his next appointment.

G-Mo77
05-10-2011, 05:11 PM

So no one can have a negative thought on the selection?

Why have a public discussion forum then?

Grantysghost
05-10-2011, 05:11 PM

I agree with this and i trust that he is getting the best team together. I hope they're are covering all bases though and are not being too insular.

Rocco Jones
05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I thought it would be expected for a new coach to bring in people he knows. Hird's coaching team is full of people he or Bomber has worked with. I'm totally fine with it as long as they aren't yes men.

Remi Moses
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
So no one can have a negative thought on the selection?

Why have a public discussion forum then?

Maybe he's an arsehole, maybe not.
Got no problem with people's opinion of the bloke, but nobody knows what sort of assistant coach he is. I'd assume McCartney knows him better than some on here that's all.

Grantysghost
05-10-2011, 05:18 PM
I thought it would be expected for a new coach to bring in people he knows. Hird's coaching team is full of people he or Bomber has worked with. I'm totally fine with it as long as they aren't yes men.

Looking at Neeld, the only logical link to him from the new appointments is Leigh Brown. He has Neil Craig (Crows) director of sports performance, Jade Rawlings (Lions), Paul Satterly (Werribee) assistants and Dave Mission (Saints) as fitness coach.

Video message from Grant to fans Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/videoaudio/tabid/8663/default.aspx?contentid=393890)

Cyberdoggie
05-10-2011, 05:23 PM

Egan just signed with Essendon.

Either they offered a better deal or they poached from our grasp.

Rocco Jones
05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Looking at Neeld, the only logical link to him from the new appointments is Leigh Brown. He has Neil Craig (Crows) director of sports performance, Jade Rawlings (Lions), Paul Satterly (Werribee) assistants and Dave Mission (Saints) as fitness coach.

Not sure Melbourne are the benchmark for excellence quite yet.

Look at Collingwood and Geelong over the last few years.

Collingwood have recently had Buckley, Watters, Gavin Brown, Caracella and Lockyer who played under Malthouse in their coaching team.

Geelong had Bomber Thompson/ex-Cats links in Hinkley, Sanderson, Egan, Caracella and Rahilly.

bornadog
05-10-2011, 05:54 PM
You can hear him here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/videoaudio/tabid/8663/default.aspx?contentid=393890)

ledge
05-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Arent the media getting a lot wrong with us lately.
Seems we are keeping a lot in house and not being led by them.
All the speculative talk about us appointing certain ones has been so far all wrong.
Cameron, Egan even Eade going was a shock to them.
The Dimattina thing has died off also.

Desipura
05-10-2011, 05:59 PM
We supposedly got rid of Eade as he game plan may have been a little outdated, I believe Ayres would be similar.

Grantysghost
05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Not sure Melbourne are the benchmark for excellence quite yet.

Fair call on the dees, agreed! I figured they're a comparable team in terms of financial situation, membership, long term coach departing etc... Point taken on Pies and Cats.

Be interested to see what role Grant plays in the new coaching panel, you'd guess forward/midfield would be his strength.

KT31
06-10-2011, 12:45 AM
We supposedly got rid of Eade as he game plan may have been a little outdated, I believe Ayres would be similar.

Agree Desi.

Remi Moses
06-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Are we hoping to obtain a Strategy and innovation Coach?
Dean Bailey's abject failure to beat the press would say Strategy wasn't a strong suite!

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Very good player, excellent left boot

Look forward to seeing what he can add to the mix for us

The Coon Dog
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Lets be honest, most of us don't really know what the assistants strengths/weaknesses are. We go in most cases by gut feel.

Will 'Shagger' work out? I have no idea & though my initial 'get feel' was not overly positive I guess I have to give him the benefit of the doubt & hope Brendan McCartney gets it right. He'd know better than me, that's for sure.

Mantis
06-10-2011, 12:13 PM
As with TCD I have no idea if he is any good.... like all assistant coaches he will be judged on how the team performs.

I'm just hoping he can forge strong relationships within the club. :rolleyes:

Maddog37
06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I might be misinterpreting alot of the posts surrounding the coaching appointments but I feel that even if we appointed Malthouse, Lethal and Roos as assistant coaches, people would still find a reason to bitch and moan about it.

Bulldog4life
06-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I might be misinterpreting alot of the posts surrounding the coaching appointments but I feel that even if we appointed Malthouse, Lethal and Roos as assistant coaches, people would still find a reason to bitch and moan about it.

You are spot on unfortunately.

1eyedog
06-10-2011, 02:45 PM

You are spot on unfortunately.

Big deal!

The beauty of a democratic political structure where freedom of speech (and opinion) is never censored.

immortalmike
06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Interesting appointment. He has a very good pedigree and has coached his own side. I wasn't a huge fan of his as a player but that's neither here nor there. One minor problem might be the issue he had a couple of years ago. Otherwise I hope he can coach.

Maddog37
06-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Big deal!

The beauty of a democratic political structure where freedom of speech (and opinion) is never censored.

So you are agreeing my opinion is valid?:D

1eyedog
06-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Yep absolutely valid, along with all the people who bitch and moan:)

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2011, 03:20 PM

My wife's favorite quote:

"I always consider your opinion before I disregard it".

Maddog37
06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
My wife's favorite quote:

"I always consider your opinion before I disregard it".

My wife always says if she wants my opinion she will give it to me.

(please don't tell her I said that.);)

1eyedog
06-10-2011, 04:17 PM

My wife uses the well versed;

"opinions are like ars%*les, everyone has got one".

She's an old northern suburbs girl who feels pretty secure that she has me trapped, so the outer north is coming out more and more these days.

hujsh
06-10-2011, 05:47 PM
My wife uses the well versed;

"opinions are like ars%*les, everyone has got one".

She's an old northern suburbs girl who feels pretty secure that she has me trapped, so the outer north is coming out more and more these days.

I prefer "opinions are like ars%*les in that i have more than most people"

Greystache
06-10-2011, 05:55 PM

I tend to go with "when I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you"- obviously not to the Mrs.

Sedat
06-10-2011, 06:02 PM
To quote my missus..."I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong" :D

Back on topic, I was certainly not a fan of moving our previous coach on, but now that we made that decision I'm happy to see a completely new set of eyes within our coaching panel. We're clearly into teaching mode, and if Shannon Grant excels in this area then I think it will be a good appointment for where the list is currently at. We've got Monty in there still to provide some historical context and to play the role of 'bad cop' when needed.

Our players, from Boydy down to the rookies, should never stop learning, so the more good teachers and communicators we have in our coaching panel the better. Less familiarity as a result of the new faces in our coaching group will ensure that there is no player complacency, which is also probably a good thing for the playing group.

LostDoggy
06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
My version is: 'opinions are like armpits -- everyone has a couple and most of them stink'.

LostDoggy
06-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Too many cooks gather no moss.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2011, 09:49 PM
As with TCD I have no idea if he is any good.... like all assistant coaches he will be judged on how the team performs.

I'm just hoping he can forge strong relationships within the club. :rolleyes:

Mantis, you seem a little bitter since the departure of Eade. I was annoyed at the time too, but you still sound peeved.

Do you have a lack of confidence in the new brigade? Would you be happy if we moved on Fantasia and Smorgon?

Personally, I think we're taking the right direction now - particularly with where the list is at. Our list certainly needs to be taught a lot, and this is meant to be a success of both McCartney and Grant. Hopefully it comes to fruition and we see results next year.

AndrewP6
06-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Too many cooks gather no moss.
Hahaha

A rolling stone spoils the broth.

Mantis
06-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Mantis, you seem a little bitter since the departure of Eade. I was annoyed at the time too, but you still sound peeved.

With the forge strong relationship line I was just taking the piss out of this cliched comment that Grant used in his address to the fans...

Do you have a lack of confidence in the new brigade?

I like of some what I am hearing, but confidence will only come when we start seeing some of what is spoken put into place.

Would you be happy if we moved on Fantasia and Smorgon?

Smorgon's time has to be up, he has been good, but we aren't going to win a flag in his time and we need a fresh face and some fresh ideas.

Others have made their position well felt on this forum about Fantasia... who am I to argue with them.

Personally, I think we're taking the right direction now - particularly with where the list is at. Our list certainly needs to be taught a lot, and this is meant to be a success of both McCartney and Grant. Hopefully it comes to fruition and we see results next year.

I posted towards the end of the year that we are in for a lean patch... nothing has changed my opinion of that.

Lets hope the new coaching group can do what they have been hired to do, because if they can't we will be even further from success than where we are right now.... which is a fair way.

ledge
07-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Still no list manager?
Stephen Icke is available isnt he?

Hotdog60
07-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Could someone tell me what the role description is for a list manager, do they have an input into who's on our list or do they look after the contracts?

Or is it both?