PDA

View Full Version : Lions' lifeline for Hudson

G-Mo77
10-10-2011, 06:27 AM
http://images.theage.com.au/2011/10/09/2679868/art_n_hudson_1010-200x0.jpg

A MONTH after retiring, Western Bulldogs ruckman Ben Hudson could yet remain an AFL footballer, with the Brisbane Lions surprisingly offering the veteran a lifeline.

Hudson had intended to move home to Queensland and play for Southport on the Gold Coast next year, but the Lions have spoken to him about playing on for one more year.

The 32-year-old veteran remains on the Bulldogs' list and they would trade with the Lions for a late pick - possibly in the 50s - to help the popular ruck continue his AFL career.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-lifeline-for-hudson-20111009-1lfsz.html

hujsh
10-10-2011, 07:19 AM
"The Bulldogs looked to be in the strongest position, potentially trading their first-round draft pick along with the Callan Ward concession pick in the deal, but only if they also got another early draft pick back."

So, ward pick + 17 for Crouch and pick 25.

What would Crouch offer us? Is he the other standout of the kids?

chef
10-10-2011, 08:32 AM
"The Bulldogs looked to be in the strongest position, potentially trading their first-round draft pick along with the Callan Ward concession pick in the deal, but only if they also got another early draft pick back."

So, ward pick + 17 for Crouch and pick 25.

What would Crouch offer us? Is he the other standout of the kids?

He's apparently the second best 17 year old in the country.

hujsh
10-10-2011, 08:37 AM
He's apparently the second best 17 year old in the country.

And quality is always good but does he also fill any specific needs we have? If he offers speed and foot skills then fantastic. If he's more of an inside mid that would be a bit less useful.

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 09:02 AM
The Beard in another jumper - NOOOOOOOOOO! Say it isn't so.....

1eyedog
10-10-2011, 10:14 AM
And quality is always good but does he also fill any specific needs we have? If he offers speed and foot skills then fantastic. If he's more of an inside mid that would be a bit less useful.

I read this the other day in The Age. Aside from this throw away comment, the thing that stuck with me was his determination and obsessive drive to play AFL footy. He is a really hard worker, the crucial ingredient required to get the best out of this obviously talented young footballer. He has been called Cooney Mk II by Luke Darcy.

A fast, powerful midfielder from Ballarat, he is not considered too far behind O'Meara in the pecking order

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/crunch-time-20111006-1lbp9.html#ixzz1aKDTDEKZ

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
The Beard in another jumper - NOOOOOOOOOO! Say it isn't so.....

Already happened. Huddo was a Croweater, remember?

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I read this the other day in The Age. Aside from this throw away comment, the thing that stuck with me was his determination and obsessive drive to play AFL footy. He is a really hard worker, the crucial ingredient required to get the best out of this obviously talented young footballer. He has been called Cooney Mk II by Luke Darcy.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/crunch-time-20111006-1lbp9.html#ixzz1aKDTDEKZ

I played Cricket briefly with Crouch, fantastic athlete and could easily have a succesful cricket career.

immortalmike
10-10-2011, 01:54 PM

He better watch his knees then...:(

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
the Beard goes with my blessing

Bring on Crouch

w3design
10-10-2011, 02:56 PM
the Beard goes with my blessing

Bring on Crouch

Agree Crouch sounds good and if we get something for the peoples Beard all good.

Remi Moses
10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Bit shocked if this is true. Not surprised by anything now though, makes you wonder about Voss. I thought the Beard looked cooked last season!:eek:

bornadog
10-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Maybe he will throw a lifeline to Mitch as well:D

bulldogsman
10-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I'd be extremely happy with Crouch and that deal.

Crouch is a potential A grader and a probable top 5 - 10 pick next year. He's better known as an inside midfielder, but he can play on the outside really well. His ball use is elite and he would compliment Libba and Wallis nicely. He played on the half back line in the U18 championships and was All Australian (and in the TAC cup), so he is versatile enough.

immortalmike
10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Bit shocked if this is true. Not surprised by anything now though, makes you wonder about Voss. I thought the Beard looked cooked last season!:eek:

Last season meaning the 2011 season? Because in 2010 he was in the top 5 rucks in the league.

I'd be extremely happy with Crouch and that deal.

Crouch is a potential A grader and a probable top 5 - 10 pick next year. He's better known as an inside midfielder, but he can play on the outside really well. His ball use is elite and he would compliment Libba and Wallis nicely. He played on the half back line in the U18 championships and was All Australian (and in the TAC cup), so he is versatile enough.

I don't know much about him but from his highlights he looks a bit like Mitch Wallis with a more penetrating kick. Is that how you'd characterize him or does he have a turn of pace about him too?

bulldogsman
10-10-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't know much about him but from his highlights he looks a bit like Mitch Wallis with a more penetrating kick. Is that how you'd characterize him or does he have a turn of pace about him too?

He's deceptively quick. He is a bit like Wallis, but not really the same. You could compare him a bit to Ward as well as he almost has the same attack on the ball.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Had some good patches, and it would be a different thing to be a support player rather than the main ruck

If he gets injured he can always work for them as a physio a la Podsiadly

He will only help and aid Leuenbergers development you'd think, Huddo is very competitive, and excellent with second efforts

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Had some good patches, and it would be a different thing to be a support player rather than the main ruck

If he gets injured he can always work for them as a physio a la Podsiadly

He will only help and aid Leuenbergers development you'd think, Huddo is very competitive, and excellent with second efforts

He's already in Queensland, he's experienced and a good man around the club, they'll get him for peanuts, we get a pick out of it, I really can't see the downside at all.

immortalmike
10-10-2011, 05:56 PM
He's deceptively quick. He is a bit like Wallis, but not really the same. You could compare him a bit to Ward as well as he almost has the same attack on the ball.

That is very good to hear. Do you think he's what we need?

Ghost Dog
10-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Not a bad move from Brisvegas. Hell, if he's going to be up there, playing in the reserves anyway, why not have him on hand if they lose Clarke?
And it looks like they will.

divvydan
10-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Once Clark goes, Brisbane have absolutely no one to help out Leuenberger in the ruck. He may well be able to play as a lone ruckman and have someone like Maguire pinch hit in support but if he went down, having someone like Hudson fill in as a big body could be really important.

G-Mo77
10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Maybe he will throw a lifeline to Mitch as well:D

I know you're just taking the piss but for what it's worth I've heard Mitch Hahn will be coaching Darley next season.

Greystache
10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I know you're just taking the piss but for what it's worth I've heard Mitch Hahn will be coaching Darley next season.

Correct, he signed on last week.

bulldogsman
10-10-2011, 06:46 PM
That is very good to hear. Do you think he's what we need?

O'Meara would be better, but Crouch is someone we do need.

ledge
10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I know the Bulldog mag isnt exactly latest news but according to that Mitch is playing at Willy again.

G-Mo77
10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I know the Bulldog mag isnt exactly latest news but according to that Mitch is playing at Willy again.

I was hoping for that as well but it doesn't seem that way.

immortalmike
10-10-2011, 06:55 PM
O'Meara would be better, but Crouch is someone we do need.

Cheers. Thanks for the info mate.

westdog54
10-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Seems pretty inconsistent when a player like Luke Power is 'retired' by the club, but they will take on a 32 year old ruckman whose fitness is failing him.

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Seems pretty inconsistent when a player like Luke Power is 'retired' by the club, but they will take on a 32 year old ruckman whose fitness is failing him.

Agree. Freaked out when I thought Huddo coming out of retirement in spite of us! But if he has our blessing go for it big fella.

Brisbane have lost a lot of experience in last 2-3 years (Risc, Brennan, Bradshaw, Fevola, Power & more than likely Clark) and haven't done well in the experienced players dept IMO.

Staker, Buchanan, Dalziell? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be too excited for the future if I were a Brisbane Lions fan, especially if they go for the ageing beard.

Mofra
11-10-2011, 10:31 AM
If he does play for them, he needs to shave first. The beard belongs to us.

AndrewP6
11-10-2011, 10:37 AM

He said in his speech at the b&f he was going to have a shave! :)

BornInDroopSt'54
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
He said in his speech at the b&f 2nd he was going to have a shave! :)
Reported like a true 'The Beard' watcher. I'll still wear my 'The Beard' T shirt to games, but maybe under the '54 guernsey.

Mantis
11-10-2011, 11:06 AM

They have a fair bit of depth in the midfield... they have no depth in the rucking department.

EasternWest
11-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Was Power retired by the club, or did he already know the top up to his retirement fund offer was on the way?

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Win win situation if the Beard can go on and we get something back where we were expecting nothing.

westdog54
12-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Was Power retired by the club, or did he already know the top up to his retirement fund offer was on the way?

He did mention in an interview that he wanted to play on.

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Okay, I can probably handle this scenario!

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Already happened. Huddo was a Croweater, remember?

Yeah, but I don't have much love for players in other teams, especially when they are playing for other teams! In all honesty, can't say I remember him at the Crows, but like I said, I don't take much notice of opposition players (yes, sad but true!)

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 12:13 PM
They delisted Broc McCauley and a rookie ruck option in Bart McCulloch. If Mitch Clarke goes they have basically zero ruck options if Leuenberger goes down.