PDA

View Full Version : Lake to stay a dog

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 11:19 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-probables-possibles-and-downright-unlikely/story-fn69a32t-1226162688784

BRIAN Lake wants to stay a Dog, Scott Gumbleton is a required Don. Plus all the other early whispers doing the rounds. Updating all day.

UPDATE 9.18am: BRIAN Lake does not want to leave the Western Bulldogs, according to his manager Marty Pask.

The All-Australian defender suffered a horror 2011 season having been rushed back in to action after having knee, hip and shoulder surgeries last summer.

Lake was at loggerheads with former coach Rodney Eade over the club’s decision to send him for a four-week stint in the VFL after Round 6 and eventually his season was over by Round 12 having played just five games.

But Pask said the appointment of new coach Brendan McCartney had reinvigorated his 29-year-old client, and said Lake would remain at Whitten Oval.

"He’s got two years to run on his contract," Pask said on the AFL website.

"The new coach has come in, there’s going to be new assistants and everything like that - the club is going to take a different path.

"And that’s going to freshen up every player on the list as it stands.

"He’s on decent money, we can’t hide from that so, as I said, he’s contracted to the Western Bulldogs and he’ll be right to go for pre-season under the new coach."

chef
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Great news.

the banker
10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Happy about this report. The whole team dynamic changes with Brian up and going.

stefoid
10-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Next bit of news "New surgical technique results in miracle cure for Cooney"

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Know a good witch doctor?

immortalmike
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not a fan of how clinical Pask's response was. It was a bit, "oh well, I guess he has to stay..." Hopefully Brian's more enthused.

bornadog
10-10-2011, 01:41 PM

He had a knee op about 3 weeks ago, so hopefully it helps him

cinder
10-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Good. :)
Take THAT, Damien Barrett.

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm not a fan of how clinical Pask's response was. It was a bit, "oh well, I guess he has to stay..." Hopefully Brian's more enthused.

He's paid to be clinical. He's the manager, not the fan.

immortalmike
10-10-2011, 05:54 PM
He's paid to be clinical. He's the manager, not the fan.

Yeah I don't know but I was hoping for something more like "Brian is very happy to continue to be a Bulldog". What we got was more akin to "He's on alot of money (which makes a trade unlikely)...so he'll have to stay". Has not convinced me. And like I said I hope that's just the manager talking.

LostDoggy
10-10-2011, 06:26 PM
He had a knee op about 3 weeks ago, so hopefully it helps him
I was really enthused by Coons appearance on Before The Game grand final week. The way I saw it, he give a real impression that his surgery was very sucessful. Here's hoping.

OLD SCRAGGer
10-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I was really enthused by Coons appearance on Before The Game grand final week. The way I saw it, he give a real impression that his surgery was very sucessful. Here's hoping.

Totally agree. I'm astounded how quickly some supporters are to move him on :eek:

G-Mo77
10-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah I don't know but I was hoping for something more like "Brian is very happy to continue to be a Bulldog". What we got was more akin to "He's on alot of money (which makes a trade unlikely)...so he'll have to stay". Has not convinced me. And like I said I hope that's just the manager talking.

I guess it's just squashing all the potential speculation.

FWIW I read it the way you did, he's here because he has to be.

GVGjr
10-10-2011, 07:33 PM

He's actually told the truth.
- His salary makes it nearly impossible to trade him unless we cover a fair portion of it.

We probably won't hear the full story of exactly why Brian doesn't feel aligned to the club at the moment but I'm sure once he starts training and feeling healthier he will respond to the new coach very well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-10-2011, 04:19 PM
He's actually told the truth.
- His salary makes it nearly impossible to trade him unless we cover a fair portion of it.

We probably won't hear the full story of exactly why Brian doesn't feel aligned to the club at the moment but I'm sure once he starts training and feeling healthier he will respond to the new coach very well.

Agree with these comments. I understand that BMcC's reading of where Lake is at has been quite positive. I would be surprised if given the new coach's stance on developing teamwork at the expense of all else,that we should see a big turnaround in attitude by certain individuals.

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Rocket was on SEN this morning and was asked point blank, "would Lake be at the bulldogs in 2012 if you were still coach". Although he answered yes, it was a prefaced with a silent pause followed by a long winded answer about his surgery and recovery.

Reading between the lines, I took it as a no.

MrMahatma
12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Rocket was on SEN this morning and was asked point blank, "would Lake be at the bulldogs in 2012 if you were still coach". Although he answered yes, it was a prefaced with a silent pause followed by a long winded answer about his surgery and recovery.

Interesting.

Wonder if any other players felt the same?

bornadog
12-10-2011, 04:45 PM

I think you will find Rocket's main concern is the recovery from injury and getting back to being the old Brian.

Hotdog60
13-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Pask on trade radio was still cagey on Lakes commitment to the club, said the he's a contracted Bulldog player but then turns around saying you never know what may transpire during trade week. With the spiel about a new coach is the same as a change of environment.