PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney to sound out Dean Laidley for Whitten Oval r

G-Mo77
11-10-2011, 08:21 AM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/10/10/1226163/346865-dean-laidley.jpg

DEAN Laidley has been linked to the Western Bulldogs as the club sets about filling its remaining assistant coaching slot.

Although the interest is only preliminary, it is believed the Dogs will talk to former North Melbourne coach Laidley about a senior back-up role in coming days.

He is a highly-rated tactician who worked with Port Adelaide last season and remains available as the assistant coaching merry-go-round revolves at record pace.

It is understood the Dogs are also well advanced with several other candidates as new head coach Brendan McCartney builds a new-look team.

Laidley - nicknamed "Junk Yard Dog" during his playing days at North - also would be an obvious candidate to join St Kilda in a key support role if Scott Watters wins the Saints job. St Kilda is expected to name its new coach next week.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Only Brett Montgomery remains at Whitten Oval from this year's coaching panel, with Rodney Eade, Peter Dean and Paul Williams gone.

Montgomery is expected to have an expanded role under McCartney and has been joined by former North Melbourne premiership player and Bendigo Bombers VFL coach Shannon Grant.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-coach-brendan-mccartney-to-sound-out-dean-laidley-for-whitten-oval-role/story-e6frf9jf-1226163345878

The Underdog
11-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I like the thought of Laidley as an assistant. He was regarded as tactically astute and despite McCartney's age he is still a first time senior coach. Having a former senior coach next to him should be a help.

G-Mo77
11-10-2011, 09:39 AM
StevoHeraldSun Mark Stevens
Laidley left Bali with coaching future in mind. Will talk to Dogs as early as today. One other club also believed to be keen.

from Twitter

Desipura
11-10-2011, 09:41 AM
StevoHeraldSun Mark Stevens
Laidley left Bali with coaching future in mind. Will talk to Dogs as early as today. One other club also believed to be keen.

from Twitter

Was involved in a brawl in a bar.

LostDoggy
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Got glassed and his son got a broken jaw according to SEN

G-Mo77
11-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Don't know why people go there. I'll never set foot in that country.

Mofra
11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Ditto - I go overseas to avoid being surroudned by drunken Aussies

LostDoggy
11-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Paul Licuria had meeting/lunch with Simon Garlic today, may or may not have something to do with vacnt assistant role.

Remi Moses
11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a wrong place wrong time scenario for Laidley and his family.
Agree with above, Bali has not interest for me.

Ghost Dog
11-10-2011, 04:37 PM

Sure. Judge an entire country, an archipalago of 17508 islands, based on one tourist strip.

And hey, the worst problems they have in Bali are caused by us, why blame Indonesians?
Kuta is the place to avoid, but the rest of the island is fascinating.
Anyway, So just because Kings Cross can be nasty or King street, you suggest people stay away from Australia?
Kuta is Kuta, not an entire country.

LostDoggy
11-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Sure. Judge an entire country, an archipalago of 17508 islands, based on one tourist strip.

And hey, the worst problems they have in Bali are caused by us, why blame Indonesians?
Kuta is the place to avoid, but the rest of the island is fascinating.
Anyway, So just because Kings Cross can be nasty or King street, you suggest people stay away from Australia?
Kuta is Kuta, not an entire country.

This. Kuta IS a hole though...

There are some incredibly lovely parts of Bali away from the obvious areas (which is of course how it became such a successful holiday destination in the first place** -- I remember going there a few decades ago and it was a very, very different place then -- and ironically led to it becoming as crowded and touristy as it is; a catch-22 lots of places fall into unwittingly), and Indonesian food can be freaking amazing, but if you're looking for a quiet tropical holiday, I think there are better options -- even in other parts of Indonesia!

** Of course, the regional government self-consciously and deliberately markets 'Bali' as a holiday destination targeted at Aussies when it became clear how many of us were going over, and tourism revenue is Bali's no.1 product today (with Kuta an indispendable part of that 'brand'), so they're not complaining that we've taken over.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Paul Licuria had meeting/lunch with Simon Garlic today, may or may not have something to do with vacnt assistant role.

Paul Licuria is a quality person and highly regarded by Collingwood. Would be a good get for the WB.

Sockeye Salmon
11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
The country is barbaric with their idea of justice.

Shappelle Corby may very well have been guilty but no-one will ever know. When the judge says, "I've had 500 druggies appear before me and no-one's ever got off yet" you know a fair trial is straight out the window.

LostDoggy
11-10-2011, 05:14 PM
The country is barbaric with their idea of justice.

Shappelle Corby may very well have been guilty but no-one will ever know. When the judge says, "I've had 500 druggies appear before me and no-one's ever got off yet" you know a fair trial is straight out the window.

No arguments from me there.

I did one of my international relations theses on the problems of comparative interpretations of the law in respect to international justice, and went out for a while with the first ever French translator at the Hague international criminal court, so these issues are close to my heart.

However, I'll just say that you may be surprised how barbaric some so-called developed countries are with their idea of justice also, especially in the name of 'national interest'. Also, the leniency or otherwise of various national illicit drug laws are notoriously tricky, with very, very coherent arguments on both sides. Granted, these issues are complex, but the Indonesians don't have a monopoly on hypocrisy.

1eyedog
11-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Paul Licuria is a quality person and highly regarded by Collingwood. Would be a good get for the WB.

He is vain and a show off, but that certainly doesn't detract from his ability to coach.

Greystache
11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
What does Bali and Chapelle Corby have to do with Brendan McCartney's assistants or football in general?

Rocco Jones
11-10-2011, 08:23 PM
What does Bali and Chapelle Corby have to do with Brendan McCartney's assistants or football in general?

Bali has something to do with Jason McCartney who has the same surname as Brendan McCartney.

dog town
11-10-2011, 09:27 PM
My only concern with Laidley is that I dont see him as having a set philosophy on the game. At Collingwood he was the opposition analyst and when he was at North they would completely change styles in the space of 2 or 3 weeks to counter certain opponents. It got him some good wins but its not very sustainable (think Terry Wallace in his later stages with us). Its not as big an issue when he is an assistant but its a concern all the same. It could actually be a good thing to have someone so good at picking oppositions apart if McCartney can filter it well enough.

AndrewP6
11-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Not sure what this has to do with the thread title, but IMO we need to be careful not to tar an entire country with the "It's a hole" brush, nor infer that there's only one country in the world with suspect legal systems.

LostDoggy
11-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Are we trying to corner the market for Bogan assistants? ;)
Is Fev next?

boydogs
11-10-2011, 11:44 PM
My only concern with Laidley is that I dont see him as having a set philosophy on the game. At Collingwood he was the opposition analyst and when he was at North they would completely change styles in the space of 2 or 3 weeks to counter certain opponents. It got him some good wins but its not very sustainable (think Terry Wallace in his later stages with us). Its not as big an issue when he is an assistant but its a concern all the same. It could actually be a good thing to have someone so good at picking oppositions apart if McCartney can filter it well enough.

I found this post very interesting & would like to see other posters' views on this.

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Post deleted greystache.

Greystache
12-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I love the fact we have nearly completely reshuffled our coaching panel and Laidley could be a very good fit considering his experience.

I had been planning a bali holiday for the family in 2 years time but there have been just too many incidents, we will be going to Vietnam or maybe Thailand. (seeing as this thread is about Laidley and he is headline news for th eBali incident I think this is a relevant discussion.)

This is a football forum, if people want to discuss holiday destination preferences then start a thread in the entertainment forum.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

FrediKanoute
13-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Not a fan of laidley. I never thought he was that tactically astute from his time at North. If anything I thought the opposite. He may be a good get as support for B-Mac, but I'd prefer someone like Ayres in that role.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Seems like Laidley has his choice of being the 2IC at St Kilda, or replacing Richardson or Watters at Carlton and Collingwood were they to be appointed head coach of the Saints

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Not a fan of laidley. I never thought he was that tactically astute from his time at North. If anything I thought the opposite. He may be a good get as support for B-Mac, but I'd prefer someone like Ayres in that role.

I agree. I think it is high time we started looking in our own kennel! The Bulldogs have been too quick to dismiss its own in the past for example, Royal, Cameron, Liberatore and Hawkins. Geelong and Collingwood set the example of how to develop their own. You only need to look at the Cats recent support staff to get a handle on their approach. Similarly Malthouse has encouraged the likes of Guy McKenna and now Scott Watters in their coaching development.
In the words of one of our former greats from the Bulldogs Team of the Century we should be looking at the likes of Scott West a 7 times best and fairest winner. We do not honor our former champions in the same way as a Buckley, Hird or Voss. West should be a great mentor and coach to the likes of our younger brigade such as Liberatore, Wallis, Tutt, Schofield and Veszpremi. Under the leadership of McCartney it should be a great combination.
I would be interested in your thoughts?

Dazza
13-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I've always rated Laidley. Thought he got a lot out of a pretty poor list to be honest.

Remi Moses
13-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I agree ^^. Lost a few senior players on his watch, badly burnt with the Hay Trade though.

anfo27
16-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I've always rated Laidley. Thought he got a lot out of a pretty poor list to be honest.

Spot on. To take that list with no money to a prelim final was a magic trick.

Remi Moses
16-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I agree. I think it is high time we started looking in our own kennel! The Bulldogs have been too quick to dismiss its own in the past for example, Royal, Cameron, Liberatore and Hawkins. Geelong and Collingwood set the example of how to develop their own. You only need to look at the Cats recent support staff to get a handle on their approach. Similarly Malthouse has encouraged the likes of Guy McKenna and now Scott Watters in their coaching development.
In the words of one of our former greats from the Bulldogs Team of the Century we should be looking at the likes of Scott West a 7 times best and fairest winner. We do not honor our former champions in the same way as a Buckley, Hird or Voss. West should be a great mentor and coach to the likes of our younger brigade such as Liberatore, Wallis, Tutt, Schofield and Veszpremi. Under the leadership of McCartney it should be a great combination.

Disagree Royal and Cameron have worked at the club and Doug's been a skills coach.
You pick the best man for the gig and not the most sentimental man for the job!
We treat our ex players as well as other clubs and the facts are some don't leave on their own terms

The Underdog
16-10-2011, 03:55 PM

I don't get your point, none of Neeld, Watters or McKenna were Collingwood players and Buckley only got brought on board because they were shit scared he'd go somewhere else. Sanderson and Hinkley were former Cats players but had to go somewhere else to be a senior coach or further themselves. We've regularly had former Dogs as assistants and Wallace was a former player. I don't see us being any different to any other club.

Ghost Dog
18-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Spot on. To take that list with no money to a prelim final was a magic trick.

Have yet to meet a Norf fan who will defend him. suspect it's more about his demeanor at family days than what he was able to do on the field.