PDA

View Full Version : Gia - Re-signs

bornadog
12-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Great news through from footy department, Gia committed to the Club going forward.Terms agreed on a new contract.

bulldogsman
12-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Great news. For how many years?

OLD SCRAGGer
12-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Pleased to hear that Gia has signed his contract.... :)

divvydan
12-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Given they didn't disclose how many years Boyd and Cross got, very likely they won't disclose year(s) Gia got either. Good news though.

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Pleased to hear that Gia has signed his contract.... :)
Great news

SlimPickens
12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Was it the one year option?

Scraggers
12-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Just merged the two threads about Gia

Maddog37
12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Good news as he had a very good year.

chef
12-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Good news, if only Howard would follow.

Maddog37
12-10-2011, 07:51 PM
What is going on with Howard?????

Dog54
12-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Great news I think gia may really prosper under the new coach. He can be tough when he needs to be but lacks consistency in this area.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Good news, if only Howard would follow.

He will Chef

AndrewP6
12-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Good news!

KT31
12-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Great News !

Greystache
13-10-2011, 11:02 AM
2 years.

bornadog
13-10-2011, 11:23 AM
2 years.

At his age, should have been one.

SlimPickens
13-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Certainly should have. Glad Gia has signed but would have offered one with a certain performance base allowing a second.

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Happy that Gia has re-signed with the club!

Maddog37
13-10-2011, 11:39 AM
You would hope that Gia would help the club if he was not up to it in his second year. He seems a quality person and if his time was up surely he would acknowledge it and work something out. Having said that, he has had one of his best if not best years ever so he should be rewarded for that.

Mantis
13-10-2011, 11:48 AM
You would hope that Gia would help the club if he was not up to it in his second year. He seems a quality person and if his time was up surely he would acknowledge it and work something out. Having said that, he has had one of his best if not best years ever so he should be rewarded for that.

Like Gilbee should have now?

Maddog37
13-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Like Gilbee should have now?

Good point Mantis. Gilbs has had one and a half bad seasons and shows no signs of being the player he was.

We will have to see how he goes this year. Fingers crossed he can rediscover his thirst for the contest under a new coach.

I love Gilbee though so I personally am happy to carry him on the chance he comes good.

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 12:25 PM
I can see a lot of variation in our forwardline this season with the need to find goals from inside the 50.

bulldogsman
13-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Agreed.

Desipura
13-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Another poor management decision. Will we ever learn?

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2011, 12:53 PM
One year with a guaranteed 2nd if he meets performance indicators would have been reasonable, I would have thought.

Greystache
13-10-2011, 01:24 PM

No question. Although with the way we negotiate I'm surprised Gia and his manager didn't walk away with a 5 year deal, James Fantasia's pants, and a gentlemen's agreement to one night with Fantasia's wife/daughter which can be activated at any point within the next 3 years.

At least hanging onto our veterans to beyond their valuable life span has helped us create loyalty within the playing group allowing us to fight off big money offers to our young stars like Harbrow and Ward!

MrMahatma
13-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Another poor management decision. Will we ever learn?
Has the club confirmed 2 years, or is that just someone guessing?

I don't get what the club has to lose by giving 1 year? The player wants 2, but surely at 1 year, take it or leave it, the player wouldn't really have any other option but to take the year. No other club would be interested in Gia.

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Has the club confirmed 2 years, or is that just someone guessing?

I don't get what the club has to lose by giving 1 year? The player wants 2, but surely at 1 year, take it or leave it, the player wouldn't really have any other option but to take the year. No other club would be interested in Gia.

Sydney were reported as having offered him 2 (FWIW)

Mofra
13-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Ah the debates starts again - we need our players to show us loyalty, just don't expect it back...

G-Mo77
13-10-2011, 02:51 PM
One year with a guaranteed 2nd if he meets performance indicators would have been reasonable, I would have thought.

Sounds fine to me.

Greystache
13-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Ah the debates starts again - we need our players to show us loyalty, just don't expect it back...

Or on the contrary we've been prepared to continually show our players loyalty, yet two new cashed up teams come into the league and our two brightest young stars can't sign quickly enough.

It's been all one way as far ad I can see.

Maddog37
13-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Or on the contrary we've been prepared to continually show our players loyalty, yet two new cashed up teams come into the league and our two brightest young stars can't sign quickly enough.

Loyalty can be like that. That is why it is not an easy virtue to practice and one that is so highly regarded.

Mofra
13-10-2011, 05:59 PM

All one way?

Griffen signed in the face of far bigger offers from the Crows & the Bombers, and expansion clubs (unique situations) aside we have been more likely to attract players in recent times, rather than lose them.

For mine the Crows' exodus is a better demonstration of the results of hard nosed contract negotiations.

Greystache
13-10-2011, 06:05 PM
All one way?

Griffen signed in the face of far bigger offers from the Crows & the Bombers, and expansion clubs (unique situations) aside we have been more likely to attract players in recent times, rather than lose them.

For mine the Crows' exodus is a better demonstration of the results of hard nosed contract negotiations.

The Griffen deal was never going to happen, he had no interest in going to a team with virtually no midfield, to be the high priced, high profile, key to the team. It was the opposite of everything he wants in football.

Mantis
13-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Good point Mantis. Gilbs has had one and a half bad seasons and shows no signs of being the player he was.

We will have to see how he goes this year. Fingers crossed he can rediscover his thirst for the contest under a new coach.

I love Gilbee though so I personally am happy to carry him on the chance he comes good.

I'm not sure a lack of 'thirst' has been the reason for a drop off in form. His body just can't do the things it could 2 or 3 years ago and we are the worse for that.

I can see Gia falling off the pace pretty quick too, let's hope for our sake it isn't until the end of 2013 rather than the end of 2012.

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Not sure how re-signing a club great could cause our fans so much angst. I'd question why I support the club if it caused me so much pain.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Doesn't it all depend on the negotiated salary? To have a player on a lower salary for 2 years probably isn't so bad. 1 year might not be good at all if the salary was high anyway.

If it's true that SSFC offered him two years, that's a good sign other people see what his supporters see in him.
Not a bad player Mr Gia, handy, hardly a super star ( albiet, he's a super star pretty boy or so the ladies all say ) but in a team of young kids, good bloke to have around.
Could bulk up a bit though.

LongWait
13-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Doesn't it all depend on the negotiated salary? To have a player on a lower salary for 2 years probably isn't so bad. 1 year might not be good at all if the salary was high anyway.

This is exactly what happened with DJ - three year deal but for pretty much what he might have expected to earn over two. Despite that, the club gets sh*tcanned for being hopeless at contract management. Easy for some to pot the club and the senior personnel without knowing the full story.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2011, 10:39 PM
This is exactly what happened with DJ - three year deal but for pretty much what he might have expected to earn over two. Despite that, the club gets sh*tcanned for being hopeless at contract management. Easy for some to pot the club and the senior personnel without knowing the full story.

Ok, well not sure how much coin Mr Djekurra makes but if true, does this tactic just encourage....gasp.....Ekerism?

I was thinking about Hooper the other day. How on earth COULD you get your dream to play AFL, the big time, then spend the break eating ' the wrong foods' and rock up to training with excess baggage?
Do people just get complacent and lose their thirst for the fight, ie, oh I've got 2/ three years, plenty of time to sort my sh** out.....

AndrewP6
13-10-2011, 10:40 PM
But, does this tactic just encourage....gasp.....Ekerism?

I was thinking about Hooper the other day. How on earth COULD you spend the break eating ' the wrong foods' and rock up to training with excess baggage?
Do people just get complacent and lose their thirst for the fight, oh I've got 2/ three years, plenty of time to sort my sh** out.....

Or are they simply not cut out to be AFL footballers?

Desipura
14-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Not sure how re-signing a club great could cause our fans so much angst. I'd question why I support the club if it caused me so much pain.
You can question what you like when we are running around with a bunch of old footballers who's best was behind them a year or 2 prior. We could well be chasing tails for the next few years.

Mantis
14-10-2011, 09:51 AM

So having a 'margainal' player on your list for an extra year is a good call?

And it wasn't like we were in a stoush with another club to gain the services of DJ and had to offer him an extra year to get him over the line either. DJ had no bargaining power so we should have been firm on the 2 year call, but perhaps given him an option of a 3rd year if he met some KPI's.

Mofra
14-10-2011, 10:45 AM
In fairness, DJ & Gia are two completely different stories.

One was second on our goal tally last year, has played alot of football for the club, is in the leadership group and despite the protestations of some supporters is still one of the core players at the club. The other has one asset (pace) offset buy questionable ball handling skills who still hasn;t cemented himself at AFL level.

The other was a virtual discard with no playing history with us. I'm all for showing a bit of faith/loyalty to someone who has played over 200 games with us (especially if the second year is on reduced $$$) but not for someone who had never worn the jumper.

divvydan
27-10-2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/125568/default.aspx

Confirmation of Gia's re-signing. Doesn't mention the length of contract.

Giansiracusa’s re-signing added to a long list of Bulldogs to re-commit to the Club this year including skipper and Charles Sutton Medallist Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross, Easton Wood, Liam Picken, Tom Williams, Jarrad Grant, Jayden Schofield, Jason Tutt and father-son recruits Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis.

The Club expects that further re-signings would be announced shortly.

Maddog37
27-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Any confirmed mention of Howard?

azabob
28-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Any confirmed mention of Howard?

According to Emma Quayle he signed for two years.

Mantis
29-10-2011, 10:12 AM
According to Emma Quayle he signed for two years.

It would be nice if someone from the club would confirm this.

It all seems a bit 'secret squirrel' at the minute.