PDA

View Full Version : Fantasia on SEN 12.25pm today (13/10/11)

bornadog
13-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I am sure Sedat will be listening:D

bornadog
13-10-2011, 01:51 PM
* Happy to keep Josh Hill, but he has indicated wants to go home. We won't give him away but will let him go for right deal. Also happy to keep him as well.

* Expects to complete a couple of deals before end of trade week - didn't really say who, or what type of player, but hinted KPP (yeah good luck with that one)

* On Lake - He is very happy, has been doing some rehab and is looking forward to next year

* Cooney Rumours - Club surprised, have never, ever thought of trading him and no clubs have approached so dissappointed in media (Barrett)

* Senior Assistant Role - spoken to a couple of candidates and still have a couple more to talk to. Expect decision by mid next week, certainly before players are back on 7 Nov.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2011, 01:55 PM
He didn't really say Hill wanted to go, only that he was happy either way.

Didn't give away too much in the interview, although it's not like it was a great interview.

The Doctor
13-10-2011, 01:56 PM
He also suggested we would be looking for an inside midfielder to replace Ward.

The Doctor
13-10-2011, 01:57 PM
He didn't really say Hill wanted to go, only that he was happy either way.

Didn't give away too much in the interview, although it's not like it was a great interview.

it was a very bland interview. Easy questions from Harford that were easily put away.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2011, 01:59 PM
it was a very bland interview. Easy questions from Harford that were easily put away.

Yeah, very generic.

It's as though he hadn't really paid attention to the news/rumours floating around, aside from Hill - but that's been going on a while.

Hot_Doggies
13-10-2011, 02:11 PM
He also suggested we would be looking for an inside midfielder to replace Ward.

Libba , Wallis ???

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=bornadog;246085]* Happy to keep Josh Hill, but he has indicated wants to go home. We won't give him away but will let him go for right deal. Also happy to keep him as well.

* Expects to complete a couple of deals before end of trade week - didn't really say who, or what type of player, but hinted KPP (yeah good luck with that one)

* On Lake - He is very happy, has been doing some rehab and is looking forward to next year
QUOTE]

Bloody hell ............ Brian's operations were done back at the start of the year. I am suprised to hear he is still doing rehab ...... and if he is, suprised he is only doing "some" rehab. Thought he would have been full steam ahead by now.

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Bloody hell ............ Brian's operations were done back at the start of the year. I am suprised to hear he is still doing rehab ...... and if he is, suprised he is only doing "some" rehab. Thought he would have been full steam ahead by now.

Brian had another operation mid-year

bornadog
13-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Thats right his knee

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I thought Brian had surgery only a few weeks ago, saw him at the club on crutches.

G-Mo77
13-10-2011, 02:44 PM
* Happy to keep Josh Hill, but he has indicated wants to go home. We won't give him away but will let him go for right deal. Also happy to keep him as well.

I thought someone bumped a thread from last year when I read that first line. :)

Scraggers
13-10-2011, 02:45 PM
I thought Brian had surgery only a few weeks ago, saw him at the club on crutches.

He was on crutches when i met with him in round 24

Mofra
13-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Who is up for trade at KPP size?
Bate - was one I heard months ago that we were interested in
O'Hailpin?
Tom Walsh from the Saints?
(For the love of god no) Mark Blake?
Gillies?

Whilst we may get something "useful" from the list, there aren't exactly any game-breakers looking to move clubs.
I hope Jones is looking forward to taking the no 1 opposition backman for the next decade, starting from round 1 2012

G-Mo77
13-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Bower or Sultana would be my guess Mofra.

Mofra
13-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Bower or Sultana would be my guess Mofra.
Probably a fair guess - but both players raise little more than a "meh" to be honest

Coming from Carlton, I would make sure all the lockers have working locks though ;)

always right
13-10-2011, 02:52 PM

It was Daniel Harford afterall. Amazed that this bloke still keeps his job.......nothing of any substance whatsoever comes out of his mouth. When he talks it's like lift music.

G-Mo77
13-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Probably a fair guess - but both players raise little more than a "meh" to be honest

Coming from Carlton, I would make sure all the lockers have working locks though ;)

I don't mind big Sultana. He kicked a Cloke in the arse so that gets a tick from me, also would be a good pinch hit ruck/forward player which we do need also.

The talk was we chased him last year because of this particular role.

As long as we don't give up a lot I'd be happy with either.

Murphy'sLore
13-10-2011, 03:04 PM
I want to get him just for the pleasure of seeing how many different ways people can misspell his name on WOOF.

The Underdog
13-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Setanta would be ok for a 3rd rounder or worse. He gives us ruck coverage which we lack. No thanks to Bower or Bate though.

Scraggers
13-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Setanta would be ok for a 3rd rounder or worse. He gives us ruck coverage which we lack. No thanks to Bower or Bate though.

Bower's 2010 season was good ... in 2011 he was hampered by injury, so subject to a fitness test, I would say yes.

1eyedog
13-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Setanta is a mean bastard too and will provide some much needed grunt and coverage for Jones and Grant as they continue to develop. His unpredictability make him a tricky match up.

Sedat
13-10-2011, 03:47 PM
It was Daniel Harford afterall. Amazed that this bloke still keeps his job.......nothing of any substance whatsoever comes out of his mouth. When he talks it's like lift music.
I know you're talking about Harford, but you could just as easily be talking about Fantasia ;)

The Doctor
13-10-2011, 04:09 PM
What disappointed me most with the interview was that he didn't sell us a vision. Fantasia cops a lot of criticism on this board and a lot of it is deserved, some not. Here he had a chance to make a statement for the club and he didn't deliver.

At this time when many of us suppporters are worried about; our team, our president, our footy dept, or whether we did the right thing getting rid of a good coach, I was hoping he would have used the opportunity to outline a plan or a vision. Something of substance to make us feel a bit more comfortable that the club is in good hands and knows what it is doing.

All we got really was a bunch of vanilla answers even to a point where some of the doozy questions were somewhat arrogantly batted away. In fact it didn't sound like there was too much to get enthused about at all. We need better than that from the man who heads our footy dept and who will be a prominent spokesman for the club during this trading and drafting period.

Our club representatives have got to make more of these opportunities.

bornadog
13-10-2011, 04:27 PM
for those who missed it:

click here (http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Bulldogs-Football-Manager-James-Fantasia/3255)

Desipura
13-10-2011, 04:30 PM
What disappointed me most with the interview was that he didn't sell us a vision. Fantasia cops a lot of criticism on this board and a lot of it is deserved, some not. Here he had a chance to make a statement for the club and he didn't deliver.

At this time when many of us suppporters are worried about; our team, our president, our footy dept, or whether we did the right thing getting rid of a good coach, I was hoping he would have used the opportunity to outline a plan or a vision. Something of substance to make us feel a bit more comfortable that the club is in good hands and knows what it is doing.

All we got really was a bunch of vanilla answers even to a point where some of the doozy questions were somewhat arrogantly batted away. In fact it didn't sound like there was too much to get enthused about at all. We need better than that from the man who heads our footy dept and who will be a prominent spokesman for the club during this trading and drafting period.

Our club representatives have got to make more of these opportunities.
Dont worry not many people would have had the opportunity to listen to Fantasia as most are at work and dont have access to the radio..

neddie
13-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Setanta is a mean bastard too and will provide some much needed grunt and coverage for Jones and Grant as they continue to develop. His unpredictability make him a tricky match up.

Setanta will not take a backward step,it must be his Fijian/Irish background,great mark ordinary kick.He would be an asset

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 04:42 PM

That explains it then. I take my comments back.

Hotdog60
13-10-2011, 04:42 PM
for those who missed it:

click here (http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Bulldogs-Football-Manager-James-Fantasia/3255)

Interesting him mentioning picking up another inside mid, I would have thought an outside mid would be more of a need to take some of the load from Cooney and Griffen.

LongWait
13-10-2011, 05:52 PM
for those who missed it:

Fantasia answered all of the questions well and the interview was informative in my opinion. Perhaps the negative reviews on here are because Fantasia spoke about our new coach enthusiastically and expansively? Fantasia may deserve the low rating some on here give him, but surely this interview was far from poor?

The Coon Dog
13-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Fantasia answered all of the questions well and the interview was informative in my opinion. Perhaps the negative reviews on here are because Fantasia spoke about our new coach enthusiastically and expansively? Fantasia may deserve the low rating some on here give him, but surely this interview was far from poor?

Pretty poor call there LW & totally unnecessary. I'd like to think posters on here are better than that.

LongWait
13-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Pretty poor call there LW & totally unnecessary. I'd like to think posters on here are better than that.

Have you listened to the interview TCD?

What the hell was wrong with Fantasia's performance? Maybe I'm wrong in putting the disappointment in Rocket leaving together with Fantasia talking up the new coach, but it seems very odd to me that Fantasia copped pretty scathing criticism for a performance that was par for the course at the very worst.

The Adelaide Connection
13-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Did anyone really expect anything other than vague, sterile answers? In fact we would be angry if he gave anything more.

With all the bluffing, posturing and psychological warfare that is trade week, would we really want him showing our hand or even giving the other clubs the slightest inkling?

mjp
13-10-2011, 06:30 PM
I want to say something I said this time last year.

Josh Hill - if we are not going to PLAY him, the for goodness sake just get rid of him. Trade him for a bag of peanuts for all I care...he is a talented player who we don't want to give away blah blah blah - but where exactly did that stance get us last year? Another year has passed, countless hours spent by coaches, docs, physios etc on one player who is talented but not in the side and not going to be put in the side...spend that time and money on someone who MIGHT.

He wants to go to West Coast? Great - trade him for a 5th round pick, or swap him for Jordan Jones or Cal Wilson or seat 31b on tier 3 of the grand stand...just trade him there.

The Coon Dog
13-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Have you listened to the interview TCD?

What the hell was wrong with Fantasia's performance? Maybe I'm wrong in putting the disappointment in Rocket leaving together with Fantasia talking up the new coach, but it seems very odd to me that Fantasia copped pretty scathing criticism for a performance that was par for the course at the very worst.

Yeah I did & he said pretty much what I expected him to say, but for you to link in the new coach the way you did was drawing a pretty long bow.

LongWait
13-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah I did & he said pretty much what I expected him to say, but for you to link in the new coach the way you did was drawing a pretty long bow.

Well, there was this....

"At this time when many of us suppporters are worried about; our team, our president, our footy dept, or whether we did the right thing getting rid of a good coach, I was hoping he would have used the opportunity to outline a plan or a vision. Something of substance to make us feel a bit more comfortable that the club is in good hands and knows what it is doing."

The Doctor
13-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, there was this....

"At this time when many of us suppporters are worried about; our team, our president, our footy dept, or whether we did the right thing getting rid of a good coach, I was hoping he would have used the opportunity to outline a plan or a vision. Something of substance to make us feel a bit more comfortable that the club is in good hands and knows what it is doing."

To be honest LW I'm not sure what your on about.

Those are my comments and these are simply the general sentiments of many of our supporters. I'm sure even you would acknowledge that there are many worried supporters at the moment. You hear supporters voicing their concerns on radio, in internet forums and around the coffee urn in the office place. My criticism of Fantasia's performance was more about a senior representative of the club selling the club a bit. Offering us long suffering supporters a bit of hope.

Your comment, "Perhaps the negative reviews on here are because Fantasia spoke about our new coach enthusiastically and expansively?" is very wide of the mark and TCD's response was a fair comment.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Setanta will not take a backward step,it must be his Fijian/Irish background,great mark ordinary kick.He would be an asset

Right - great kick...in the nads when your mate is prone on the ground at training :D

ledge
13-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Right - great kick...in the nads when your mate is prone on the ground at training :D

That worries me, a mate.
Who needs enemies with mates like that

LongWait
13-10-2011, 09:19 PM
To be honest LW I'm not sure what your on about.

Those are my comments and these are simply the general sentiments of many of our supporters. I'm sure even you would acknowledge that there are many worried supporters at the moment. You hear supporters voicing their concerns on radio, in internet forums and around the coffee urn in the office place. My criticism of Fantasia's performance was more about a senior representative of the club selling the club a bit. Offering us long suffering supporters a bit of hope.

Your comment, "Perhaps the negative reviews on here are because Fantasia spoke about our new coach enthusiastically and expansively?" is very wide of the mark and TCD's response was a fair comment.

Maybe I'm sick of the over-the-top negativity of the lots of elements of the club.

It's poor form to bag the living bezeesus out of club staff but then get all sensitive and hurt if someone questions your motives. Fantasia cannot defend himself on here and so is a soft and defenceless target.

Rocket has a very negative view of Fantasia. The club's decision to not offer Rocket another contract has been largely blamed on Fantasia by many of Rocket's supporters. Fantasia was obviously very enthusiastic in the interview about the new coach and spoke at length in glowing terms about him. You lambasted Fantasia for what was a pretty standard and competent radio interview in my opinion. Join the dots.

GVGjr
13-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Maybe I'm sick of the over-the-top negativity of the lots of elements of the club.

It's poor form to bag the living bezeesus out of club staff but then get all sensitive and hurt if someone questions your motives. Fantasia cannot defend himself on here and so is a soft and defenceless target.

Rocket has a very negative view of Fantasia. The club's decision to not offer Rocket another contract has been largely blamed on Fantasia by many of Rocket's supporters. Fantasia was obviously very enthusiastic in the interview about the new coach and spoke at length in glowing terms about him. You lambasted Fantasia for what was a pretty standard and competent radio interview in my opinion. Join the dots.

I think the problem with the approach you are taking is that you are making assumptions on peoples character and the reasons why they say what they say rather than just challenging the content. You are doubting peoples intentions and you are lumping anyone with a differing view to yours as a pro Eade person. I don't think that is in anyway correct.

I also have no idea if Eade had a negative view on Fantasia or not but I started questioning Fantasia's value a fair while back and I certainly don't class myself as a pro Eade person
I certainly appreciate what he did but I moved on quickly and have embraced the new coach who's made a good impression on me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that view as well.

I'm not going to go over all the reasons why I'm somewhat skeptical of Fantasia because I've said more than enough on that matter but I'm also not going to follow your lead question the integrity of people who either rate James or doubt him. Once James gets some runs on the board it will go a long way to silencing his critics including me.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2011, 10:35 PM
The evidence pointing toward Mr Fantasia's lacklustre performance is fairly well laid out by respected posters all over this forum.
At the end of the day, true or not, it's had a big influence on how I see him. For some time, I had no idea who he was.

LongWait
13-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I think the problem with the approach you are taking is that you are making assumptions on peoples character and the reasons why they say what they say rather than just challenging the content. You are doubting peoples intentions and you are lumping anyone with a differing view to yours as a pro Eade person. I don't think that is in anyway correct.

I also have no idea if Eade had a negative view on Fantasia or not but I started questioning Fantasia's value a fair while back and I certainly don't class myself as a pro Eade person
I certainly appreciate what he did but I moved on quickly and have embraced the new coach who's made a good impression on me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that view as well.

I'm not going to go over all the reasons why I'm somewhat skeptical of Fantasia because I've said more than enough on that matter but I'm also not going to follow your lead question the integrity of people who either rate James or doubt him. Once James gets some runs on the board it will go a long way to silencing his critics including me.

I'm no defender of Fantasia - I don't know him and don't have enough information about his performance to judge whether we should keep him or move him on. What I see at times though is what I consider an unbalanced and unreasonable criticism of key figures in the club. If people want to use an anonymous internet forum to stridently bag club personnel, they should expect some questioning of motives and judgement.

GVGjr
13-10-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm no defender of Fantasia - I don't know him and don't have enough information about his performance to judge whether we should keep him or move him on. What I see at times though is what I consider an unbalanced and unreasonable criticism of key figures in the club. If people want to use an anonymous internet forum to stridently bag club personnel, they should expect some questioning of motives and judgement.

So anyone who list the reasons why they are concerned with the performance of James (for example the statement that some clubs were saying Josh Hill was a top 20 draft pick last year) should automatically have their motives questioned?

If so, how do we then discuss the on-field performance of players without crossing this line you are setting?
In my opinion this site is a discussion forum where people views on a subject can either be challenged or agreed with or even an alternative view offered up but in the end we shouldn't be questioning their integrity without very good reasons.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2011, 10:55 PM

The number of questions over certain decisions he has made has been building up on this forum for some time from a range of posters. lack of personalized 'bagging' rather than insightful comments is what makes it hard to dismiss.
For a dedicated but poorly informed fan like myself, hard not to start to also wonder what's going on. The 'bagging', as you put it, is preeeety tame compared to other forums IMO.

LongWait
13-10-2011, 11:03 PM
So anyone who list the reasons why they are concerned with the performance of James (for example the statement that some clubs were saying Josh Hill was a top 20 draft pick last year) should automatically have their motives questioned?

If so, how do we then discuss the on-field performance of players without crossing this line you are setting?
In my opinion this site is a discussion forum where people views on a subject can either be challenged or agreed with or even an alternative view offered up but in the end we shouldn't be questioning their integrity without very good reasons.

Who the hell questioned anyone's intergity?

I've questioned whether people's perceptions or judgements are influenced by secondary factors. We all bring various bias' to our opinions and judgements, or are you the only truly impartial, completely rational, non-judgemental person to have walked the earth in the past 2000 years?

jeemak
13-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Finally managed to listen to the interview. I'm really not too sure why some posters expected more than what Fantasia offered.

- He answered the questions directly, although he was a bit heavy on the cliches.

- His answer on Lake was enthusiastic enough for mine.

- He spoke as honestly about Hill as he could, in that he all but said that a new coach might have an impact on his performance but the club was prepared to cut their losses and move on if it was in its best interests and a deal could be made. Can you imagine the outrage if he had have said the club had given up on Hill?

- He said that through the draft an inside mid would be sought, which makes sense considering Boyd and Cross are closing in on 30 and we're likely to move on Sam Reid (not many 18 year olds adapt to senior football like Liberatore did this year in that role, and Wallis still - like it or not - has question marks on him). So that's reasonable enough, considering Ward has left.

- He vehemently denied any shopping around of our best player. And pencilled in Greg Denham as an ignorant buffoon, although this won't surprise many of us considering his reporting on trade week over the years.

I just can't see what was expected of him beyond what he provided. I'll admit Fantasia has seemingly made some errors in his contract negotiations since crossing to us in 2008, but for me his performance will be judged on the results of his past decision making over the next two years.

Hopefully he forms a very good working relationship with McCartney, but leaves him to be the face of the club. While Fantasia is held to account quite regularly by many supporters, he suffers from not having a profile. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing.

EasternWest
14-10-2011, 12:28 AM

That worries me, a mate.

Wait a sec, wait a sec.

I can't believe I'm about to white knight Setanta (who I don't mind, but don't particularly want) but what the footage doesn't show was Cloke punching O'Hailpin in the face when he wasn't looking.

Setanta, being the Irish lunatic he is was happy to settle it man to man but Cloke ran away. Pretty much the camera rolled on them when O'Hailpin caught up to him, and what we all saw was the end result.

It was ugly to watch, but hardly all Setanta's fault.

The Pie Man
14-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Wait a sec, wait a sec.

I can't believe I'm about to white knight Setanta (who I don't mind, but don't particularly want) but what the footage doesn't show was Cloke punching O'Hailpin in the face when he wasn't looking.

Setanta, being the Irish lunatic he is was happy to settle it man to man but Cloke ran away. Pretty much the camera rolled on them when O'Hailpin caught up to him, and what we all saw was the end result.

A good pointer to the way that episode was viewed at Carlton was who ended up at Port Adelaide the next year as well.

jeemak
14-10-2011, 12:50 AM
A good pointer to the way that episode was viewed at Carlton was who ended up at Port Adelaide the next year as well.

There was also some talk about locker room stuff involving things going missing, and the subject of the butt kick being dealt with accordingly. Scuttlebut perhaps, but potentially telling in the end result.

chef
14-10-2011, 08:10 AM
That worries me, a mate.

Cloke didn't have many mates at Carlton(something to do with a missing Guernsey), especially not Satanta. This comes from a Carlton players mouth.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 09:08 AM
I won't be touching Setanta or Bate with picks under 50. I want to know if McCartney wants them rather Fantasia too.

Desipura
14-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Lynch of St Kilda looks like going to Adelaide for a 2nd round pick so it is understandable why Bate is classified in a similar category.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Lynch of St Kilda looks like going to Adelaide for a 2nd round pick so it is understandable why Bate is classified in a similar category.

I'm not so sure Lynch has 5 years(minus) on Bate.

Desipura
14-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm not so sure Lynch has 5 years(minus) on Bate. So he has 5 years to prove he is worse than Bate? They are similar players in that they are medium sized forwards although Bate has him covered for pace.

The Coon Dog
14-10-2011, 09:38 AM
So he has 5 years to prove he is worse than Bate? They are similar players in that they are medium sized forwards although Bate has him covered for pace.

Desi, if the call was yours, would you give up pick 39 for Matthew Bate?

Desipura
14-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Desi, if the call was yours, would you give up pick 39 for Matthew Bate? No siree Bob!

The Coon Dog
14-10-2011, 10:23 AM
No siree Bob!

Me either. I reckon over the past few years we have traded away a pick a year for an experienced player & it always seems to be somewhere between picks 25-40 or thereabouts.

If we can trade Josh Hill for pick 46, I wouldn't be averse to using pick 46 to get someone in, but again, I wouldn't use that for Matthew Bate.

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't think there are many on here who want Bate

I don't mind him as a footballer, but I just don't want to see us trade 2nd or 3rd round selections for fringe players. Draft the best kid and hope that in two years time a couple of them have turned into players

Back to Fantasia: I didn't see it as his role in this interview to sell a vision for the club. I view that role clearly as that of the new coach at this stage.

Mofra
14-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I don't mind him as a footballer, but I just don't want to see us trade 2nd or 3rd round selections for fringe players. Draft the best kid and hope that in two years time a couple of them have turned into players
We've been interested for months so I'm expecting him to be a Bulldog next year.
I basically see him as a Hahn type; perhaps slightly quicker and slightly taller but less bullocking.

Hahn was drafted at pick 37 - trying to take away any Bulldogs bias, that would be a starting point, discounted for the fact that he couldn't establish himself as a regular in the Melbourne side unlike Hahn as a Bulldog at a similar age so a later pick would be fairer value.

I'm expecting whatever pick we gain for Josh Hill to end up at Melbourne.

Maddog37
14-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Of all the second hand players chatted about the only ones I would be interested in are the Collingwood boys. Setanta has a crack, Bate has played some good games and Bower is not totally horrible but looks like a rabbit in the headlights at times.

On a side note, Denham on SEN seems totally bored with trade week and is becoming more arrogant by the day. Really dislike him.

bornadog
14-10-2011, 10:43 AM
We've been interested for months so I'm expecting him to be a Bulldog next year.
I basically see him as a Hahn type; perhaps slightly quicker and slightly taller but less bullocking.

Hahn was drafted at pick 37 - trying to take away any Bulldogs bias, that would be a starting point, discounted for the fact that he couldn't establish himself as a regular in the Melbourne side unlike Hahn as a Bulldog at a similar age so a later pick would be fairer value.

I'm expecting whatever pick we gain for Josh Hill to end up at Melbourne.

Bates Manager has confirmed he wants to be a Bulldog, lets see what happens.

Mofra
14-10-2011, 10:47 AM
If Melbourne want to play hard-ball on a player that clearly doesn't want to be there good luck to them. I'm not sure what sort of return they expect, especially when he is out of contract in 12 months time.

Topdog
14-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Seriously Bate?? Im almost ready to give up on the year already.

Also LongWait the criticism of Fantasia has been happening long before Eades departure and if you want reasons for it look no further than last years trades and signings. We are stuck with Hooper and DJ on the main list for another 2 years.

Mofra
14-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Also LongWait the criticism of Fantasia has been happening long before Eades departure and if you want reasons for it look no further than last years trades and signings. We are stuck with Hooper and DJ on the main list for another 2 years.
Hooper has only 12 months left?
We also have Mulligan for another 12 months.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 11:10 AM

Providing we can get him at the right price, I would be happoy with Bate.

I like left foot swoopers and he would provide something different to our forward line.

Ghost Dog
14-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Wait a sec, wait a sec.

I was just kidding around. He wouldn't be so bad as a player but Carlton fans seem too happy to get rid of him for my liking.

The jab in cloke's butt with the boot made me LOL at the time. Always happy to see disarray in the Blues camp.

Sedat
14-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I was just kidding around. He wouldn't be so bad as a player but Carlton fans seem too happy to get rid of him for my liking.
Only because they have Warnock in the ruck, Kreuzer and Hampson ready to play 2nd ruck/forward next season (both were injured late this season, which is why Setanta played finals).

Setanta would give us cover in an area that we desperately need it, and he won't cost much to do so. He certainly didn;t disgrace himself in ther finals this season playing that ruck relief/forward role.

Topdog
14-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Yep sorry, 1 more year of Hooper who didn't need to be promoted at all. A year to go for Mulligan too. Just madness

Ghost Dog
14-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Yep sorry, 1 more year of Hooper who didn't need to be promoted at all. A year to go for Mulligan too. Just madness

Every club makes clangers I guess.

Ghost Dog
14-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Only because they have Warnock in the ruck, Kreuzer and Hampson ready to play 2nd ruck/forward next season (both were injured late this season, which is why Setanta played finals).

Setanta would give us cover in an area that we desperately need it, and he won't cost much to do so. He certainly didn;t disgrace himself in ther finals this season playing that ruck relief/forward role.

The other thing is, we lose a bit of fear factor with Barry gone. I do admit, it would make us more entertaining...

Mantis
14-10-2011, 01:17 PM

That's no excuse.

We strive to be better than everyone else and these types of blunders don't help.. especially when we are up against it to start with.

Topdog
14-10-2011, 01:21 PM

And every person who makes multiple blunders need to be held accountable.

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2011, 03:15 PM
A year to go for Mulligan too.

Is this is accurate. I thought Mulligan was out of contract.

Mantis
14-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Yep, he is out of contract at the end of 2012.

Greystache
14-10-2011, 03:30 PM

I thought that was the case too. Shocking list management if true!

LongWait
14-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Seriously Bate?? Im almost ready to give up on the year already.

Well perhaps you need to get your facts correct before you shoot your mouth off about our player contract management:

1. Hooper was offered a two year base salary (not three years as you claim) immediately after he was selected to play in a final for the club. Hardly outrageous.

2. DJ was signed on a three year deal for pretty much what he could have expected for a two year deal - contrary to your claims, it was a bloody excellent contract signing, getting the third year for virtually free.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Well perhaps you need to get your facts correct before you shoot your mouth off about our player contract management:

1. Hooper was offered a two year base salary (not three years as you claim) immediately after he was selected to play in a final for the club. Hardly outrageous.

2. DJ was signed on a three year deal for pretty much what he could have expected for a two year deal - contrary to your claims, it was a bloody excellent contract signing, getting the third year for virtually free.

Hooper shouldn't have got one year. It was outrageous signing him in the first place.
Dj was about to be delisted. Trading for him then giving him 3 years was plain stupidity.

The Coon Dog
14-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Can anyone clarify whether or not Tom Williams was signed for 3 years recently?

LongWait
14-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Hooper shouldn't have got one year. It was outrageous signing him in the first place.
Dj was about to be delisted. Trading for him then giving him 3 years was plain stupidity.

Playing Hooper for the first time in a final was more outrageous than signing him to a basic two year deal. The MC must have rated Hooper. It was not outrageous to promote him if the MC felt that they wanted him to play the small forward role.

On what basis do you make the claim that DJ was about to be delisted? I was told by a player manager from one of the big stables (not DJ's manager) that his signing was a terrific deal by the club and that he would never have agreed had he been DJ's manager.

Fair dinkum there is so much crap posted on here that is supposition or opinion that is passed off as fact. Blokes are trashed and ridiculed based on guesswork, bullshit and personal grudges. No-one that posts on this board is in a position to make some of the claims and assessments that are freely bandied about as gospel and undeniable.

KT31
14-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Can anyone clarify whether or not Tom Williams was signed for 3 years recently?

Remember reading he was about to put pen to paper, but that was some time back.
Have not heard of anything since.

bornadog
14-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Remember reading he was about to put pen to paper, but that was some time back.
Have not heard of anything since.

There is an article announcing 8 players have re-signed including Tommy, but doesn't say for how long.

link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/default.aspx?newsid=121840)

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Playing Hooper for the first time in a final was more outrageous than signing him to a basic two year deal. The MC must have rated Hooper. It was not outrageous to promote him if the MC felt that they wanted him to play the small forward role.
Your memory is short. We were running on empty at the time for players. 1 game then dropped for Hahn who was finished too.

On what basis do you make the claim that DJ was about to be delisted? I was told by a player manager from one of the big stables (not DJ's manager) that his signing was a terrific deal by the club and that he would never have agreed had he been DJ's manager.

On the basis that the pick we gave Geelong they didn't use. Tells me they didn't care too much about it.
Player managers are as reliable as Real estate agents and 2nd hand car salemen.

anfo27
14-10-2011, 05:59 PM

What? Surely you are mistaken? He is the worst player ever to have played the game and we gave him 2 years. I had his name crossed off months ago that I even forgot who this Mulligan character is. This signing is a deal breaker and someone needs to get their papers stamped for this.
I guess if we have a shocker next year and need to tank we can play him on their best forward.

Pickenitup
14-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I doubt Mulligan would be contracted he was upgraded at the end of 2009 surley we didnt give him 3 years he i a hack of the highest order.

divvydan
14-10-2011, 06:20 PM
From http://www.aflq.com.au/index.php?id=424

On Mulligan:
In 2009 he again found himself playing in the Williamstown Seconds, but this time at fullback. He did enough to convince senior coach Rodney Eade that he had the capabilities to play at the highest level in this sort of role, and not only was he elevated to the senior list for 2010 but he was given a two-year contract to go with it.

http://www.aflq.com.au/index.php?id=424

Topdog
14-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Yep and I admitted that mistake about 10 min after the first post, it doesn't excuse the fact that he shouldn't have been elevated.

LOL which other club was chomping at the bit to sign DJ. Bloody excellent contract signing would indicate that we beat several others for the mans signature. We did not, Geelong were more than happy to let him go but we went out of our way to throw away a draft pick for him. Lunacy, not brilliant.

macca
14-10-2011, 07:02 PM
why is mulligan not used as a ruckman at 201 cm?

hujsh
14-10-2011, 07:02 PM

For Williamstown. Not so great for the Bulldogs at the moment (would love to be proven wrong)

Mantis
14-10-2011, 07:13 PM
why is mulligan not used as a ruckman at 201 cm?

Because he was no good in this role in the Willi 2's.

bulldogsman
14-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Because he was no good in this role in the Willi 2's.

He's not much better at full back.

LongWait
14-10-2011, 08:09 PM
For Williamstown. Not so great for the Bulldogs at the moment (would love to be proven wrong)

And that is exactly the point - the club rated DJ and were prepared to sign him for two years. When they got three years for the price of two they had little to lose and a lot to gain if DJ establishes himself and plays mostly in the seniors in the next two years.

LongWait
14-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Yep and I admitted that mistake about 10 min after the first post, it doesn't excuse the fact that he shouldn't have been elevated.

LOL which other club was chomping at the bit to sign DJ. Bloody excellent contract signing would indicate that we beat several others for the mans signature. We did not, Geelong were more than happy to let him go but we went out of our way to throw away a draft pick for him. Lunacy, not brilliant.

I didn't ever say other clubs were chomping at the bit to sign DJ. Don't put words in my mouth and then ridicule me for them!

Whether DJ will make it with us or not is yet to be seen, however it is incorrect in my opinion to criticise the club for signing him for three years on the cheap. He might end up being a long-shot that doesn't come off (as is the case with many or even most trades) however we are not paying DJ big money at all. DJ was competing at Geelong with heaps of more talented players who play the same roles/positions as him.

If DJ ends up being in our best 20 to 25 players would you say the signing is a disaster?

BulldogBelle
14-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Giving Hooper a two-year contract was a big mistake. It should have been obvious to all and sundry that after that one and only final he played in that he was a dud, he was no good and would never have been any good. Instead they should have traded or delisted him. Keeping Rose would have been a better option.

With regards to DJ, he has elite speed but unfortunately doesn't have the brains or footy talent to go with it. He will never develop into an A grader. Should never have been selected.

There are similar stories with Addison, Stack and Mulligan. Then we held onto old players for too long. Eade, the worst coach ever. Screwed up a good list. Makes me feel ill when I see people referring to Eade as a 'good coach', gratuitous nonsense.

We could have gotten rid of these players and possibly drafted some real talent to take us into a grand final.

I saw a pretty smart comment written by one of you guys the other day regarding winning finals - the most important thing is the number of A-graders that you put onto the field.

Mantis
14-10-2011, 10:48 PM
And that is exactly the point - the club rated DJ and were prepared to sign him for two years. When they got three years for the price of two they had little to lose and a lot to gain if DJ establishes himself and plays mostly in the seniors in the next two years.

And if he doesn't?

Well then we are stuck with another 2's player.

AndrewP6
14-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Eade, the worst coach ever. Screwed up a good list. Makes me feel ill when I see people referring to Eade as a 'good coach', gratuitous nonsense.

Rocket took us from the arse end of the ladder to 3 consecutive preliminary finals. Not bad for the 'worst coach ever'. Just imagine if he'd been any good :rolleyes:

As for the 'good list ' he screwed up, in 2004 (when Rocket was appointed), we had stars like Steven Koops, Jade Rawlings and Sam Power.:confused:

ledge
15-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Rocket took us from the arse end of the ladder to 3 consecutive preliminary finals. Not bad for the 'worst coach ever'. Just imagine if he'd been any good :rolleyes:

As for the 'good list ' he screwed up, in 2004 (when Rocket was appointed), we had stars like Steven Koops, Jade Rawlings and Sam Power.:confused:

Also 3 prelims doesnt amount to high draft picks and with GC coming into it made it harder, lucky we had father/sons come through in my opinion.

Hotdog60
15-10-2011, 10:08 AM
He's not much better at full back.

We have to try him forward for a year as one last effort before delisting.

KT31
15-10-2011, 11:00 AM
There are similar stories with Addison, Stack and Mulligan. Then we held onto old players for too long. Eade, the worst coach ever. Screwed up a good list. Makes me feel ill when I see people referring to Eade as a 'good coach', gratuitous nonsense.

You obviously haven't studied your Bulldogs history to well.
Eade took us to three Prelim's in a row.
Might make him a smidgeon better than Rhode or Hart.:rolleyes:

mjp
15-10-2011, 11:34 AM
We have to try him forward for a year as one last effort before delisting.

'cos you are never finished as a player until you have been recruited to play full-forward for Footscray...boom-boom!

anfo27
15-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Also 3 prelims doesnt amount to high draft picks and with GC coming into it made it harder, lucky we had father/sons come through in my opinion.

Not having high draft picks is not an excuse. We just were not savy enough at the trade table to get what we needed to go further than a prelim. Its not a knock on rocket but rather how trading works in the AFL. I think clubs are too worried about being seen as having given away too much.

Topdog
15-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I didn't ever say other clubs were chomping at the bit to sign DJ. Don't put words in my mouth and then ridicule me for them!

Whether DJ will make it with us or not is yet to be seen, however it is incorrect in my opinion to criticise the club for signing him for three years on the cheap. He might end up being a long-shot that doesn't come off (as is the case with many or even most trades) however we are not paying DJ big money at all. DJ was competing at Geelong with heaps of more talented players who play the same roles/positions as him.

If DJ ends up being in our best 20 to 25 players would you say the signing is a disaster?

Yet Geelong have been able to get Menzel and Christenson playing regular games with them.
Stokes, Varcoe and Brynes all able to get gigs too. Poor DJ just didn't have a chance.

He was going to be delisted by Geelong yet we gave up a draft pick and signed him to 3 years. LUNACY!

LostDoggy
15-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Deciding to throw myself straight off into the deep end here...

Regarding Fantasia as far as I'm aware he is the the head of the Football Department. We don't currently have a List Manager (although aparently we are looking). Was part of his original job discription that of List Manager, or was it something the entire Football Department took on together? If he wasn't supposed to be managing the list then surely its currrent state is not entirely his fault, but that of the entire Football Department (and yes, as he is the head the buck stops with him). Just trying to figure out how much to blame for the list he actually is.

Here's hoping the addition of a full-time List Manager from 2012 onwards will reduce all the stuff-ups we have been currently seeing. Hopefully they get the right person for the job.

KT31
16-10-2011, 01:13 AM

Regarding Fantasia as far as I'm aware he is the the head of the Football Department. We don't currently have a List Manager (although aparently we are looking). Was part of his original job discription that of List Manager, or was it something the entire Football Department took on together? If he wasn't supposed to be managing the list then surely its currrent state is not entirely his fault, but that of the entire Football Department (and yes, as he is the head the buck stops with him). Just trying to figure out how much to blame for the list he actually is.

Here's hoping the addition of a full-time List Manager from 2012 onwards will reduce all the stuff-ups we have been currently seeing. Hopefully they get the right person for the job.

IMO , the club got rid of Eade because he could not take the next step.
Fantasia has been responsible for our list and recriuiting for several poor years and must GO !!!!

anfo27
16-10-2011, 01:14 AM

We need more than a list manager to solve our problems.

KT31
16-10-2011, 01:16 AM

We need more than a list manager to solve our problems.

Sound's like a bloke passing off positions trying to hold a job down.