PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Clark - What about us?

The Doctor
14-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Should we be in for him?

He'd be a fantastic fit for us. Surely we have salary cap room with Hall, Hudson, Ward, Reid gone and probably Hill.

We have the Ward compo pick, our first rounder and now Ben Hudson as bargaining chips.

While he has stated he wants to go home I wonder if that isn't just the spin and he just wants to get out of Brissy. The Demons have shown some real ambition in this in trying to ambush the Freo deal. All credit to them.

It's probably a bit late for us now or is it?

bornadog
14-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I would go for him, he is ideal to fit straight in. Would Ward compo deal and Huddo get it across?

stefoid
14-10-2011, 02:42 PM
If we are going to go balls out for someone, make it a top shelf midfielder.

We have Jones, Cordy and Roughead to be our next Mitch Clark

We have nobody to be our next Cooney

Remi Moses
14-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Every player becomes John Colemanesque in trade week.He's a ruckman who pinch hits as a forward, and has played his best footy as a ruckman. Melbourne are offering between 6 and 8 a season which is laughable.He's very hit and miss as far as I'm concerned

Mantis
14-10-2011, 03:30 PM
He has re-confirmed his desire to get to Freo and in the process has knock backed Melbourne's offer.

the banker
14-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Mitch Clark over-valued, IMO not an elite talent. Setanta could do a similar job at half the odds.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Mitch Clark over-valued, IMO not an elite talent. Setanta could do a similar job at half the odds.

Agree. Brisbane knocked back pick 16 and 20 from Freo, surely thats enough?

Why get Greedy, they will end up losing him in the draft and get nothing in return.

The Coon Dog
14-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Agree. Brisbane knocked back pick 16 and 20 from Freo, surely thats enough?

Why get Greedy, they will end up losing him in the draft and get nothing in return.

No they wont.

Was discussing this at lunch today & someone suggested that. GWS have how many picks in the first 11? You don't think Clark nominating & placing a sizeable salary would worry the money bags franchise from Rooty Hill?

No way Clark nominates for the draft.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 04:24 PM
No they wont.

Was discussing this at lunch today & someone suggested that. GWS have how many picks in the first 11? You don't think Clark nominating & placing a sizeable salary would worry the money bags franchise from Rooty Hill?

Ok makes sense, he has one preference so you think either Freo or Brisbane will bite the bullet to get the deal done ?

bornadog
14-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok makes sense, he has one preference so you think either Freo or Brisbane will bite the bullet to get the deal done ?

He wants to go home.

Sedat
14-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Every player becomes John Colemanesque in trade week.He's a ruckman who pinch hits as a forward, and has played his best footy as a ruckman. Melbourne are offering between 6 and 8 a season which is laughable.He's very hit and miss as far as I'm concerned
He's hit when he has the responsibility to himself - as soon as Brown came back he struggled as 2nd banana (3rd banana when Sideshow Fev was up there in 2010).

He is a very talented player and one who would make a genuine difference at our club. Good on Melbourne for identifying this and not accepting the status quo that he was a monty to go west.

It is far more important to ensure that precious pick 45 is secured for Josh Hill in the eyes of our list management :rolleyes:

The Adelaide Connection
14-10-2011, 04:39 PM
No they wont.

I agree with you on paper here, but do you think clubs still take players against their wishes? I am not sure drafting someone (and having to pay them big coin in the process) is a good idea if they really don't want to be there, especially when we are talking GWS who are trying to build and breed a new positive club culture.

I often wonder if it has a huge impact on trade week, how many other clubs really went after Gunston after he showed himself to be a bit 'temperamental' at the Crows and then nominated the Hawks? It seems like the Crows let him go pretty cheap.

The Coon Dog
14-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I agree with you on paper here, but do you think clubs still take players against their wishes? I am not sure drafting someone (and having to pay them big coin in the process) is a good idea if they really don't want to be there, especially when we are talking GWS who are trying to build and breed a new positive club culture.

If the player was a very good player the answer is more likely to be yes than someone who's a middle of the road player. Only have to look at Jade Rawlings! :eek:

LongWait
14-10-2011, 04:45 PM
He's hit when he has the responsibility to himself - as soon as Brown came back he struggled as 2nd banana (3rd banana when Sideshow Fev was up there in 2010).

He is a very talented player and one who would make a genuine difference at our club. Good on Melbourne for identifying this and not accepting the status quo that he was a monty to go west.

It is far more important to ensure that precious pick 45 is secured for Josh Hill in the eyes of our list management :rolleyes:

Do you know if the club shares your view that Clark is worth two picks in the top 20? This is what Brisbane have been offered and rejected. We would need to give up the Ward compo pick and our first round selection for Clark to be even considered. You serious?

Do you know that the club hasn't made a play for Clark?

The Adelaide Connection
14-10-2011, 04:46 PM
If the player was a very good player the answer is more likely to be yes than someone who's a middle of the road player. Only have to look at Jade Rawlings! :eek:

I think trends have shifted a little though, I could be wrong (and I am sure someone will come up with a few examples :)) but it seems more often than not in the last 5 or so years when a player nominates a club they end up there.

Remi Moses
14-10-2011, 04:47 PM

He's had one good season when he had the responsibility of first ruck. Not a reliable kick,hasn't done enough to warrant big bikkies being thrown around. Melbourne won't get him they're making out they're doing something in wakeof Scully walking. He'll end up at Freo.

Desipura
14-10-2011, 04:51 PM
If there was an emoticon created for a reason, I think you have found it! ;)

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2011, 04:51 PM
I was interested that he didn't finish top 10 in the Brisbane Best and Fairest this year, and yet both clubs are chasing him to play the same role he played this year - Forward/Ruck

But he is a young-ish, and is talented

Would we have the cap space?

GVGjr
14-10-2011, 05:38 PM
At his best he is a good player but I think he is too fragile to consider especially given what we would need to give up and what he would want in payments.
I'd pass.

Topdog
14-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Do you know if the club shares your view that Clark is worth two picks in the top 20? This is what Brisbane have been offered and rejected. We would need to give up the Ward compo pick and our first round selection for Clark to be even considered. You serious?

Dunno what the club has done but 2 first round draft picks for Clark isn't worth it for us. Freo are in a different position to us.

KT31
14-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Dunno what the club has done but 2 first round draft picks for Clark isn't worth it for us. Freo are in a different position to us.

If this was to happen I imagine there would be a lot of questions asked.

Sedat
14-10-2011, 07:24 PM

He's an unfulfilled talent, just as Ottens was an unfulfilled talent when Geelong parted with picks 12 and 16 for his services. They traded away a club favourite in Brent Moloney to get that extra 1st round pick.

Clark is 23 and has shown he can tear it up at this level - he is a terriific contested mark and is also a very good around the ground tap ruckman.

He will make a difference to his next club - as for the cost, it is what it is.

bulldogsman
14-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah no thanks for me.

Reasons

1. He wants to be in WA for family and personal reasons.
2. We would probably have to trump Melbourne's offer for money and picks.

He is a very good ruckman rather then forward IMO. I think he should have been All Australian a couple of years ago playing as the number 1 ruckman. I'd take him if it wasn't for the above reasons.

anfo27
14-10-2011, 08:59 PM
He's an unfulfilled talent, just as Ottens was an unfulfilled talent when Geelong parted with picks 12 and 16 for his services. They traded away a club favourite in Brent Moloney to get that extra 1st round pick.

Clark is 23 and has shown he can tear it up at this level - he is a terriific contested mark and is also a very good around the ground tap ruckman.

He will make a difference to his next club - as for the cost, it is what it is.

Ottens was an All Australian at Richmond.

LongWait
14-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Ottens was an All Australian at Richmond.

Don't let the truth spoil a good story. We can crucify Fantasia or whoever we like with impunity if you would only stop being factual and rational!

Remi Moses
14-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Comparing him to Ottens is just wrong
Ottens was stale at Richmond and was a very good player until his last year or two.
Gee the giddiness this time of the year is bordering on hysteria

Mantis
14-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Don't let the truth spoil a good story. We can crucify Fantasia or whoever we like with impunity if you would only stop being factual and rational!

So Ottens wasn't an unfilled talent at Richmond?

I guess his one AA gong made all the difference. :rolleyes:

Sedat
15-10-2011, 12:09 AM
If you think Ottens was a fully realised talent at Richmond, you are very easily pleased. Richmond fans openly mocked and laughed at Geelong for taking him off their hands, not to mention the cost of 2 first-rounders. Geelong fans were shattered to lose Moloney, and were very skeptical about picking up a Richmond 'pea heart' as he was described at the time. Nobody is laughing now.

Darren Jolly's credentials are well established now, but when Melbourne shipped him off to Sydney in 2004, they couldn't believe their luck to get pick 15 for a fringe ruckman. It only took 12 months to see that 'over-payment' by Sydney bear massive fruit.

I'm not lambasting our list managers for not going after Clark, but I am lambasting them for farting around on the fringes this week. Mark Stevens knows a hell of a lot more than you and I, and he has strongly intimated that we are haggling over Josh Hill's worth between pick 45 and 49. This is madness. We are 10th and fading. Our list needs to be improved significantly in a number of areas. And we are wasting time and energy playing hardball over 4 draft places for a player that could easily be delisted? Madness.

Doc26
15-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Emma Quayle reporting that the 4 way deal that was meant to involve Hill to WCE may now have gone through without Hill as part of the transaction.

Sedat
15-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Emma Quayle reporting that the 4 way deal that was meant to involve Hill to WCE may now have gone through without Hill as part of the transaction.
If true, this is the stuff of pure farce.

bornadog
15-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Lions have tweeted:

Contrary to some reports, the Club confirms that it never received an offer from Freo involving Picks 16 & 20 for Mitch Clark

Where do these BS stories come from?

Topdog
15-10-2011, 12:20 PM
So Ottens wasn't an unfilled talent at Richmond?

TBF wasn't every Richmond player in the early 2000's unfulfilled talents?

Greystache
16-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Clark gone to Melbourne, obviously he was gettable.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/melbourne-demons/surprise-as-clark-takes-up-demon-offer-20111015-1lqxx.html

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Pretty good get for Melbourne, exactly what they need. Plays forward but also helps out Jamar. He's a potential A grader, so it's a pretty solid trade for them.

KT31
16-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Pretty good get for Melbourne, exactly what they need. Plays forward but also helps out Jamar. He's a potential A grader, so it's a pretty solid trade for them.

Why did the Demons improve their offer if it was already accepted and Clarke had knocked it back.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Why did the Demons improve their offer if it was already accepted and Clarke had knocked it back.

Melbourne are desperate for a KF/Ruck.

Clark probably figured he was little to no chance of getting to Fremantle, and didn't want to stay at Brisbane. Melbourne was the next best thing - and still guaranteed he wouldn't be playing at the Lions.

All just my interpretation of how it unfolded.

bornadog
16-10-2011, 01:16 AM

Pretty good get for the Lions as well. They were losing Clark anyway and now have pick 12

KT31
16-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Pretty good get for the Lions as well. They were losing Clark anyway and now have pick 12

Higher pick than we would have even considered.
No loss to us.

Remi Moses
16-10-2011, 01:27 AM
The Gidyness this time of the year is just incredible!
He's gone for the dosh only and to me they're paying way overs .
Just out of interest why aren't we going after young Caddy at GC?

Desipura
16-10-2011, 10:02 AM
The Gidyness this time of the year is just incredible!
He's gone for the dosh only and to me they're paying way overs .
Just out of interest why aren't we going after young Caddy at GC?

Probably cos we are too gun shy. If we rated him we should have done our homework like Essendon did and tried to convince him he should come to us.
In terms of picks, we are in a stronger position than Essendon.

SlimPickens
16-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Clark gone to Melbourne, obviously he was gettable.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/melbourne-demons/surprise-as-clark-takes-up-demon-offer-20111015-1lqxx.html

Melbourne definitely needs to be commended for this, knew what they wanted and went out and got it. Think he'll be a good fit for them. I wonder where this places Stefan Martin?

The Coon Dog
16-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Melbourne definitely needs to be commended for this, knew what they wanted and went out and got it. Think he'll be a good fit for them. I wonder where this places Stefan Martin?

I'm not so sure to be honest. He's not a great footballer that you would be happy to break the bank to get, but the worry is that Melbourne were critical of Scully leaving for money & yet they recruit a player seemingly for the same reason. If he is to be Melbourne's highest paid player it puts enormous pressure on him to perform, particularly in the eyes of his team mates.

Topdog
16-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm not so sure to be honest. He's not a great footballer that you would be happy to break the bank to get, but the worry is that Melbourne were critical of Scully leaving for money & yet they recruit a player seemingly for the same reason. If he is to be Melbourne's highest paid player it puts enormous pressure on him to perform, particularly in the eyes of his team mates.

Agree with this.

I wouldn't want us spending > $600,000 a year on Clark.

GVGjr
16-10-2011, 12:47 PM

First thing I thought of. Martin has been playing that 2nd ruckman and spare parts tall for the Dees and with Clark in the side it might squeeze him out. He's no star but a handy type.

bornadog
16-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Love this comment about Clark:

Lions’ best-and-fairest Tom Rockliff was more pointed in his assessment, referring to Clark’s insistence he wanted to leave Brisbane to go home to Perth

“I guess money can cure anything,” Rockliff tweeted.

Desipura
16-10-2011, 02:01 PM
First thing I thought of. Martin has been playing that 2nd ruckman and spare parts tall for the Dees and with Clark in the side it might squeeze him out. He's no star but a handy type.

Great point made slimpickens, which club will make a sales pitch for Martin to leave the Demons?
This is the type of pro activeness I would like to see our club undertake during the trade period.
This would be similar to Essendon with Josh Caddy, knowing full well he is homesick and wants to return to Melbourne.

The Doctor
16-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Great point made slimpickens, which club will make a sales pitch for Martin to leave the Demons?
This is the type of pro activeness I would like to see our club undertake during the trade period.
This would be similar to Essendon with Josh Caddy, knowing full well he is homesick and wants to return to Melbourne.

Us pro-active? I wish.

Josh Caddy would be a perfect replacement for Callan Ward and the compo pick we got for Ward would be very tempting for the Suns

azabob
16-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Us pro-active? I wish.

Josh Caddy would be a perfect replacement for Callan Ward and the compo pick we got for Ward would be very tempting for the Suns

We tried to get in the mini draft with so we should look to offer it for Caddy.

Desipura
16-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Us pro-active? I wish.

Totally agree.

Remi Moses
16-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Agree with this. Just not sold on Clark for that money.

Remi Moses
16-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Us pro-active? I wish.

If anyone from the club does read this site.
For Christ sake get Pro Active. We're in a better spot than The Bombres:rolleyes:

Desipura
16-10-2011, 03:38 PM
If anyone from the club does read this site.
For Christ sake get Pro Active. We're in a better spot than The Bombres:rolleyes:
I can't help but think an opportunity is awaiting, yet we won't do anything about it.

azabob
16-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I can't help but think an opportunity is awaiting, yet we won't do anything about it.

From memory TCD could contact Fantasia but yeah not sure TCD would want to!

Remi Moses
16-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Pretty sure Brad Crouch would have rather gone to a Melb based club!

Topdog
16-10-2011, 03:56 PM

we literally couldn't top Adelaide's offer though.

mjp
16-10-2011, 03:57 PM

If Brad got the same advice from GWS that O'Meara got, it would have been something like:

- Happy to listen to your preferences re- where you want to go.
- We will tell the clubs of your preferences.
- We will trade you based on the best deal we are offered. This will be our ONLY criteria.
- Our ultimate preference is for you NOT to nominate for the mini-draft - that way we can draft you next year.

Mofra
17-10-2011, 11:25 AM
He's quality but the Suns want way more than just a compo pick - they want a top 5 player from the Bombers who by all accounts have offered their first rounder plus sweeteners (which the Suns reject).

I wouldn't want to hand over too much for a kid with foot issues who has played 2 senior games of AFL football, would look like we are chasing anyone for the sake of doing a deal.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 11:29 AM
He's quality but the Suns want way more than just a compo pick - they want a top 5 player from the Bombers who by all accounts have offered their first rounder plus sweeteners (which the Suns reject).

I wouldn't want to hand over too much for a kid with foot issues who has played 2 senior games of AFL football, would look like we are chasing anyone for the sake of doing a deal.

make no mistake, Caddy is a fine footballer and one of the few I would consider for the compo pick

Mofra
17-10-2011, 01:11 PM
make no mistake, Caddy is a fine footballer and one of the few I would consider for the compo pick
+ Whatever else though?
Compo pick wouldn't be near enough for him

Greystache
17-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I can't understand how Caddy has gone from a #7 draft pick last year, to a player worth two top picks or a star player this year having done nothing in the past 12 months to enhance his reputation. Everyone becomes a superstar in trade week.

Desipura
17-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I can't understand how Caddy has gone from a #7 draft pick last year, to a player worth two top picks or a star player this year having done nothing in the past 12 months to enhance his reputation. Everyone becomes a superstar in trade week.

That tells me there are very few A graders in trade week. Caddy could become one.

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 01:23 PM

Some clubs have more to offer this year with the compensation picks.

stefoid
17-10-2011, 01:24 PM

If the opportunity to get a first class player is there, you take it. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Greystache
17-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Some clubs have more to offer this year with the compensation picks.

And that's fine, but Caddy's done nothing more than any other first round pick this year won't have. I don't understand why clubs would be throwing the kitchen sink at a player who's done nothing other than be a high draft pick last year.