PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Bate?

GVGjr
14-10-2011, 11:56 PM
I thought he was a terrific junior footballer and think it's a bit of a shame his career stagnated this year. After reading that his manager Paul Connors talked him up and say how he wants to play for the Dogs and how he was willing to take a pay cut just to play football I was wondering if this is just a player manager doing the right thing by his guy up or if Bate is truly genuine and does see an opportunity with us?

I must admit I struggle to see why we are so interested in him given he isn't quick nor is he a key forward that Jones and Grant could play along side. Perhaps B-Mac has a specific plan and/or likes strong bodied players but on face value we seem to already have a couple of half forwards.

Why do you think Bate is so eager to come to us and why do we seem to be interested in getting him?

Greystache
15-10-2011, 01:49 AM
The interesting this is Bate was supposedly one of the quickest players at Melbourne when he was drafted. Have injuries cruelled him, or has he bulked up too much? Could he slim down and rediscover his pace, and if so would he then be able to play any form of valuable role for us?

Sedat
15-10-2011, 07:47 AM
The interesting this is Bate was supposedly one of the quickest players at Melbourne when he was drafted. Have injuries cruelled him, or has he bulked up too much? Could he slim down and rediscover his pace, and if so would he then be able to play any form of valuable role for us?
I posted on another thread the comments from a close mate of mine who is a Melbourne fanatic who knows his players inside out. He reckons the Bailey coaching group used him in the wrong way as the lead-up pseudo key forward, and that earlier in his career (under Daniher) Bate was something of an explosive clearance king during his short spells in the middle. He said his pace off the mark was much underrated. I take very little notice of Melbourne, so like other posters here I have Bate pegged as a Hahn type with similar physical attributes, which we clearly don't need. But my mate's comments were interesting, especially in light of us losing Ward from our midfield and stating an interest in some inside midfield cover this trade week.

Whilst it is nice to hear players wanting to come to our club, we need a more compelling reason to bring them over. Does Bate offer a compelling enough reason? If we have him earmarked for the same type of lead-up forward role that he's struggled at for Melbourne, I'm dead against getting him. But if we are looking a reinvigorated role through the midfield, I'm less skeptical and more open to the idea. Pick 39 is meh to me - he's on a similar level (different type of player obviously) to Hill last year and Hill was worth pick 37 and 66. Assuming we get 49 off WC for Hill (no certainty in light of the latest tweet from Emma Quayle), it's basically a slight trade down and we keep the same number of picks. Irrespective of the above, it doesn't excite me much to be honest because it is little more than tinkering around the edges and we need some significant renovations to our list.

Hotdog60
15-10-2011, 10:18 AM
I'd heard that he had to bulk up and so it affect he's pace. The Dee's wanted him to play at CHF but played he's best footy in the midfield with less bulk. I can't remember the source as I been reading to much on players over trade week. It may have even been on the radio.

LostDoggy
15-10-2011, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Sedat;246484]I posted on another thread the comments from a close mate of mine who is a Melbourne fanatic who knows his players inside out. He reckons the Bailey coaching group used him in the wrong way as the lead-up pseudo key forward, and that earlier in his career (under Daniher) Bate was something of an explosive clearance king during his short spells in the middle. He said his pace off the mark was much underrated.

This is interesting. If your mate is correct he may well be worth chasing as we need extra through the middle. I have to assume that BM is driving this, in which case he may well be thinking outside the square with this. I would hope that the only players we get are those with a fanatical contested ball attitude (since that is what we have been told is the main game for us). Clearly, if BM is after this bloke, he must think he has this attitude or that it can be tweaked relatively quickly.

If on the other hand he is just another fill in player, I would be devastated that little had changed.

Ghost Dog
15-10-2011, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Sedat;246484]I posted on another thread the comments from a close mate of mine who is a Melbourne fanatic who knows his players inside out. He reckons the Bailey coaching group used him in the wrong way as the lead-up pseudo key forward, and that earlier in his career (under Daniher) Bate was something of an explosive clearance king during his short spells in the middle. He said his pace off the mark was much underrated.

This is interesting. If your mate is correct he may well be worth chasing as we need extra through the middle. I have to assume that BM is driving this, in which case he may well be thinking outside the square with this. I would hope that the only players we get are those with a fanatical contested ball attitude (since that is what we have been told is the main game for us). Clearly, if BM is after this bloke, he must think he has this attitude or that it can be tweaked relatively quickly.

If on the other hand he is just another fill in player, I would be devastated that little had changed.

or there is a bit of ranga love going on ^_^
how's his disposal?
No point getting another pack splitter with suspect skills.

azabob
15-10-2011, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=metal;246509]

or there is a bit of ranga love going on ^_^
how's his disposal?
No point getting another pack splitter with suspect skills.

I agree skills are a massive part of the game, but we still need "pack splitters" and I'd be happy to take one with Hahn's skill level.

We have lost 3 players who play with controlled aggression and split packs open.

Hudson, Hall and Ward.

Now im not sure if Bate actually plays this role or not.

ledge
15-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I would prefer Bate than Reid so I think its an upgrade that way.

Bulldog Revolution
15-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Until this year I'd always thought he was quite a good player

I've never noticed that he a was particularly slow, perhaps its more his agility than his straight line speed that is the issue.

I think if we are keen to have him and the price is low I don't mind having a go at him. The papers have reported we have been rejected in our approach of pick 39. I actually think pick 39 is too high a price to pay for him, and it would be our next pick with which I would want to get him.

He is desperate for a new start, and surely with only kids he must feel confident he could get a chance with us.

For me the thinking would be out Hill, in Bate.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-10-2011, 06:36 PM
I posted on another thread the comments from a close mate of mine who is a Melbourne fanatic who knows his players inside out. He reckons the Bailey coaching group used him in the wrong way as the lead-up pseudo key forward, and that earlier in his career (under Daniher) Bate was something of an explosive clearance king during his short spells in the middle. He said his pace off the mark was much underrated. I take very little notice of Melbourne, so like other posters here I have Bate pegged as a Hahn type with similar physical attributes, which we clearly don't need. But my mate's comments were interesting, especially in light of us losing Ward from our midfield and stating an interest in some inside midfield cover this trade week.

Whilst it is nice to hear players wanting to come to our club, we need a more compelling reason to bring them over. Does Bate offer a compelling enough reason? If we have him earmarked for the same type of lead-up forward role that he's struggled at for Melbourne, I'm dead against getting him. But if we are looking a reinvigorated role through the midfield, I'm less skeptical and more open to the idea. Pick 39 is meh to me - he's on a similar level (different type of player obviously) to Hill last year and Hill was worth pick 37 and 66. Assuming we get 49 off WC for Hill (no certainty in light of the latest tweet from Emma
Quayle), it's basically a slight trade down and we keep the same number of picks. Irrespective of the above, it doesn't excite me much to be honest because it is little more than tinkering around the edges and we need some significant renovations to our list.

Our recruiting this year of Sherman, DJ and Veszpremi was risky at best. Our forward line without Hall lacks class and physical power. Bate might just be an improvement in an attack that is still questionable. There appears to be little on offer that is any better in this current draft. Bate might also prove a useful back up to Boyd and Griffen in the midfield, with still some doubt on Cooney regaining his former brilliance.

stefoid
15-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I like Sherman as a forward, I think he is dangerous now, and if he can round out his game defensively he will be a real asset. Needs to use that speed of his in both directions though.

Vezpremi I dont know anything about, and DJ I cant see his disposal getting any better, so...

Remi Moses
15-10-2011, 08:42 PM
You gotta wonder why after delisting Miller neither Bate or Dunn stepped up to the breach.
The times of watched Bate he's been good, then he get's dropped.

stefoid
16-10-2011, 12:18 AM
What about McAffer? Anyone have anything to say about him? A second rounder would probably get him if hes going to walk anyway.

Which would you prefer out of those two?

KT31
16-10-2011, 01:08 AM
What about McAffer? Anyone have anything to say about him? A second rounder would probably get him if hes going to walk anyway.

Which would you prefer out of those two?

For me I think McAffer.
Not much in it though.
It all comes down to which pick.

Doc26
16-10-2011, 02:19 AM
You gotta wonder why after delisting Miller neither Bate or Dunn stepped up to the breach.
The times of watched Bate he's been good, then he get's dropped.

Remi, I can't say I see Bate's role comparable to the role that Miller and Dunn tend to play.

I'm not quite sure where he would slot in, possibly fighting for Shaun's spot changing in the midfield on occasions.

I'm not sold on our apparent offer of pick 37 for him. Melbourne are certainly wantiing overs for him by knocking this back.

Remi Moses
16-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Lead up forward role at Melb as Miller had.
He's not a KP type, just my observation of Bate.
There should be a name change to Posture week honestly!

Remi Moses
16-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Lead up forward role at Melb as Miller had.
He's not a KP type, just my observation of Bate.
There should be a name change to Posture week honestly!

azabob
16-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I've got a bad feeling now Melb will accept our pick 39 (which is overs) since they now have Clark coming.
Perhaps that's why we want pick 45 for Hill?

divvydan
16-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Pick 45 is technically Rd 2 and 49 Rd 3. It is possible Melbourne said they need a Rd 2 pick for Bate and that was the reason we wanted 45 and not 49, still seems petty by us and if Melbourne wouldn't accept 49 instead of 45 too, by them as well.

GVGjr
16-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I've got a bad feeling now Melb will accept our pick 39 (which is overs) since they now have Clark coming.
Perhaps that's why we want pick 45 for Hill?

I think that is the reason why we have pushed hard for pick 45 but remember we still have to make the offer so it comes down to our decision. If we end up doing the deal for pick 39 then that is our decision.

GVGjr
16-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I've talked to Melbourne fanatic mate of mine about Bate and he believes he is a good player who's typically had his worst performances when playing at Etihad. He believes he plays his best football on the wide open spaces of grounds like the MCG.
He also thinks he has been the victim of a combination of Baileys coaching and the focus on some of the younger players like Watts, Jurrah, Howe and Pettards performance.

1eyedog
16-10-2011, 02:26 PM
My personal feeling on Bate is that he would be on the outer both as forward and in the midfield. While he has a nice kick on him his decision making is poor, which makes me cringe thinking of him in the midfield, his highest tackle count in a game is 5 or something and he shirks contact for mine.

I would rather see Vez in the forward line in front of him, Vez is smarter and while Bate is tall (6'4) he rarely uses his height to advantage. Added to this the fact that he has never kicked more than 4 goals in a game. He's a list clogger and we've got enough players who can fill the same role. I just wish Tuesday would hurry up so we can be past all this.

Big no from me.

Flamethrower
17-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Apparently Melbourne want a 1st round draft pick for this Casey player.

In the words of Michael Caton from The Castle "Tell 'em they're dreamin'".

Throw in Trengove and it's a chance.

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I think the Dees will cave and he will end up with us

Scraggers
17-10-2011, 12:34 PM
On trade week radio, Plough didn't rate him ... This tells me he is worth a shot then :D

1eyedog
17-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I think the Dees will cave and he will end up with us

Will we have to pay him anything? :rolleyes:

stefoid
17-10-2011, 01:25 PM
If hes got disposal issues, then I dont want him

1eyedog
17-10-2011, 01:28 PM
If hes got disposal issues, then I dont want him

He's a nice kick, but he needs an eternity to find a target.

stefoid
17-10-2011, 02:26 PM
If we are tossing 2nd round picks around, why not lob it to the pies for McAffer?

Hes a small forward who can apply good defensive pressure, can take a turn in the midfield and has performed well enough in finals including 2 grand finals.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Been reported that a deal won't go through - at this stage.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 02:28 PM
No point throwing picks away on 2nd raters. Use them in the draft

stefoid
17-10-2011, 02:36 PM
No point throwing picks away on 2nd raters. Use them in the draft

What about McAffer? rate him?

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 02:40 PM
What about McAffer? rate him?

he's ok but what role would we have for him?

stefoid
17-10-2011, 02:50 PM
he's ok but what role would we have for him?

small forward / mid.

Guido wont last forever, and Id love to see Dalhaus in the middle as soon as he is physically able - love his work in tight spaces.

Pies fans upset about it, so thats a good sign - theres no 'yay hes going' type of comments like hill from our supports and bate from dees supporters.

apprently groind issues this year affected his performance

bulldogtragic
17-10-2011, 03:04 PM
We held firm. A new strategy in trade week...

Greystache
17-10-2011, 03:06 PM
We held firm. A new strategy in trade week...

We still offered overs IMO, Melbourne were miles off the mark with wanting a 1st round pick. Most clubs would've jumped at a 2nd round pick and Bate would be ours.

Mantis
17-10-2011, 03:27 PM
We still offered overs IMO, Melbourne were miles off the mark with wanting a 1st round pick. Most clubs would've jumped at a 2nd round pick and Bate would be ours.

It wouldn't just be in your opinion, it would be in most peoples opinion... So glad Melb said no.

The Coon Dog
17-10-2011, 03:29 PM
It wouldn't just be in your opinion, it would be in most peoples opinion... So glad Melb said no.

Yup, happy to have missed out.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I have a new found love for Melbourne.

Maddog37
17-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Yup, happy to have missed out.

Agreed. Tough for Bate having announced he wants to be a Bulldog and now has to front up for work at the Ds.

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2011, 05:03 PM
I'd come around to the idea of having him, but I never greatly liked the price

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 05:19 PM
We have to thank Melbourne from saving us from our own stupidity here. By them requesting a first round pick Bate, they rejected our overs offer for him at pick 39.

Ghost Dog
17-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks Silverspooners! Happy to let that one through to the keeper.

1eyedog
21-10-2011, 06:21 PM
We have to thank Melbourne from saving us from our own stupidity here. By them requesting a first round pick Bate, they rejected our overs offer for him at pick 39.

I agree. He would have been useful but that's about it and the price for his usefulness was way too high.

Mofra
22-10-2011, 04:31 PM
For argument's sake, previous pick 39s:

2010: Jeremy Taylor (GC Suns)
2009: Sam Grimley (Hawks)
2008: Stephen Motlop (Geelong)
2007: Darcy Daniher (F/S, Bombers) (next live pick - Chris Mayne, Freo)
2006: Nathan Krakouer (Port)
2005: Jay Neagle (F/S, Bombers) (next live pick - Travis Casserly, Richmond)
2004: Travis Cloke (F/S, Collingwood) (next live pick - Ivan Maric, Crows)
2003: Robert Forsetr-Knight (Crows)
2002: Gary Moorcroft (Melb, from Bombers)
2001: Justin Davies (Carlton)

Not exactly a star studded list - Maric is "useful" but F/S picks aside it's not compelling reading.

ledge
22-10-2011, 04:55 PM
For argument's sake, previous pick 39s:

2010: Jeremy Taylor (GC Suns)
2009: Sam Grimley (Hawks)
2008: Stephen Motlop (Geelong)
2007: Darcy Daniher (F/S, Bombers) (next live pick - Chris Mayne, Freo)
2006: Nathan Krakouer (Port)
2005: Jay Neagle (F/S, Bombers) (next live pick - Travis Casserly, Richmond)
2004: Travis Cloke (F/S, Collingwood) (next live pick - Ivan Maric, Crows)
2003: Robert Forsetr-Knight (Crows)
2002: Gary Moorcroft (Melb, from Bombers)
2001: Justin Davies (Carlton)

Not exactly a star studded list - Maric is "useful" but F/S picks aside it's not compelling reading.

Looking at that he wouldnt have been too bad a choice.

Maddog37
22-10-2011, 05:18 PM
To make the point more accurately you need to look at all those available at pick 39 in those drafts. That would be a pretty different story surely?

Mofra
22-10-2011, 06:42 PM
To make the point more accurately you need to look at all those available at pick 39 in those drafts. That would be a pretty different story surely?
Not trying to argue one way or another - merely providing a basis for the quality chosen at pick 39.

Not really worth saying everyone who was available after though - hindsight is always crystal clear.

chef
28-10-2012, 11:38 AM
According to the HS we're still interested in him.

azabob
28-10-2012, 11:48 AM
According to the HS we're still interested in him.

What are your thoughts?

A lot has changed for us as a club since last trade period. Wonder what role he would play?

chef
28-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I would be happy to add him as a FA, maybe taking Skinners spot on the list. He would be a handy lead up forward.

bornadog
28-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I would be disappointed if we picked him up especially since we have been told by the MC we are only picking up younger players.

chef
28-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I would be disappointed if we picked him up especially since we have been told by the MC we are only picking up younger players.

Is 25 too old?

bornadog
28-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Is 25 too old?

ok, assumed he was 27/28. Will be 26 next year and really should be at his peak.

Can he play, that's the bigger question.

GVGjr
28-10-2012, 01:06 PM

I can't find a spot for him on the forward line if we are moving Murphy forward next season.

He''s an OK player but I'd need to be convinced we have a genuine spot for him.

jazzadogs
28-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I can't find a spot for him on the forward line if we are moving Murphy forward next season.

I'd prefer to go to the draft. Don't see the upside, especially with Murphy going forward as you have mentioned.

Rocco Jones
28-10-2012, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't really give too much attention to the HS linking him to us. We were after him last year and now he is free, pretty easy to try and put one and one together without any further info.

He should be very cheap. For me it's not so much about how 'good' he is but how he can help our team develop. A big bodier who offers something as a lead up target up forward. I can see him helping our younger forwards and providing something for our younger players when looking for targets up the ground.

Zeph is treated like he has just started puberty. He is only 2 years younger than Bate. I'd have Bate (and Petterd) ahead of Zeph but that being said, I really don't want Zeph.

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Someone get hold of McCartney/Fantasia/McCartney/Dalrymple, whoever is involved, and bitch slap them until they admit Bate is a potato who would struggle to get a game in our VFL side.

Remi Moses
28-10-2012, 02:30 PM
No thanks

LostDoggy
28-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Tooooooooooooo Slow

ledge
28-10-2012, 02:50 PM
He does seem very hard at the footy though.

LostDoggy
28-10-2012, 04:06 PM
He does seem very hard at the footy though.

Potentially fills an age gap - rookie list only however. Might be handy if Dickson or Gia break down

Ghost Dog
28-10-2012, 04:24 PM
What pleases me in this draft is not so much what we have done, but what we haven't.

GVGjr
28-10-2012, 04:29 PM
What pleases me in this draft is not so much what we have done, but what we haven't.

I get what you mean by that but were we a bit fortunate that neither Dawes or Gumbleton wanted to come to us?

Mantis
28-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I get what you mean by that but were we a bit fortunate that neither Dawes or Gumbleton wanted to come to us?

If both improve their performances which is a distinct possibility we might be unfortunate that neither chose us.

Remi Moses
28-10-2012, 04:33 PM

You have to wonder about Melbourne's recruiting and development.
Gysberts, Bate Rivers all early draft picks and now goneski.
The tides turned on that Brock Mcclean pick 11 Gysberts trade.
Not sure on their plan

GVGjr
28-10-2012, 04:36 PM
If both improve their performances which is a distinct possibility we might be unfortunate that neither chose us.

What would you have been willing to part with to get them?

ledge
28-10-2012, 04:38 PM

I feel sorry for Dawes, Melbourne of all clubs they seem all over the place with draft age wise, I mean they can't be rebuilding and they aren't in a premiership window, why Rodan?
His manager said he looked at the best structure and plan of each club before he made choice, worries me if Melbourne has better one than us.
Or is it just draft pick collingwood got from Melbourne and wage offered to Dawes it came down to?

KT31
28-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I feel sorry for Dawes, Melbourne of all clubs they seem all over the place with draft age wise, I mean they can't be rebuilding and they aren't in a premiership window, why Rodan?
His manager said he looked at the best structure and plan of each club before he made choice, worries me if Melbourne has better one than us.
Or is it just draft pick collingwood got from Melbourne and wage offered to Dawes it came down to?

Why ?
It was his choice to go to the Melbourne, no one forced his hand.

Feel sorry for us if this is the case.

Mantis
28-10-2012, 04:53 PM
What would you have been willing to part with to get them?

As little as possible.... but realistically a pick between 25 and 40.

ledge
28-10-2012, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=KT31;298599]Why ?

Why? Because he has no idea what he is missing out on with us and i would say it was his manager who advised him as he was overseas at the time.

GVGjr
28-10-2012, 05:00 PM
As little as possible.... but realistically a pick between 25 and 40.

We would have had to do something else to get that done but as it was Dawes went for a pick better than our 21/22. Gumbleton for a pick in the 40's might have been OK

Ghost Dog
28-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Yes.
I could never see either of them wanting to come to us. Teams like us, down the bottom, have to pay massive overs to get players like these two. The Jake Niall article makes the same point ( today's age ). Monfries got a 40%-50% premium at Port over what he ever would get offered by Essendon.

What we would get, for what we would have to offer either of these two, just wouldn't equate. Add the injury factor for Gumbleton, and very happy as you say, neither wanted to come, otherwise we probably would have done a deal.

Dawes has kicking issues and I'm seriously over players who cannot kick.

Give young players their first chance in footy, bond with them, they will stick by us and loving their mates, want to stay. Pick up the odd mature player; Stevens I'm pleased with as he has a genuine reason to leave WC.

stefoid
28-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Someone get hold of McCartney/Fantasia/McCartney/Dalrymple, whoever is involved, and bitch slap them until they admit Bate is a potato who would struggle to get a game in our VFL side.

His disposal isnt that flash, so he has that in his favour...

ledge
28-10-2012, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=KT31;298599]Why ?

Why? Because he has no idea what he is missing out on with us and i would say it was his manager who advised him as he was overseas at the time.

Ghost Dog
28-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Someome made this comment on a forum. Dawes could not kick goals in a team that brought it into their f50 roughly double the amount of times Melbourne could.

ledge
28-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Someome made this comment on a forum. Dawes could not kick goals in a team that brought it into their f50 roughly double the amount of times Melbourne could.

That's where game plan comes into It he could have been the dummy lead Away from
The ball so Cloke had more space.

Ghost Dog
28-10-2012, 08:24 PM
He butchered the ball often when he actually had it. I never saw him do much that made me think he is worth the amount Melbourne are going to pay him.

Go_Dogs
28-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Not keen on adding Bate, although if we upgrade Austin, could Bate be added as a mature age rookie? Could be a worthwhile insurance policy.

boydogs
28-10-2012, 09:31 PM
I get the bigger bodied forward thing, but not sure Bate fits the mould. No for mine.

Templeton31
28-10-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm curious to know whats wrong with Bate.

Whenever I saw a Melb game he was playing in he seemed to lead up ok, go in hard and generally be pretty reasonable without being a superstar. Yes he got caught or fluffed a kick sometimes but he was still a good ordinary footballer as Jack Dyer would have said. But neither Neeld nor Bailey played him very often - always had him back in the VFL even though the Dees were hopeless.

Whats the go? Why is he a dud?

I'd rather Peterd.

Templeton31
28-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I get the bigger bodied forward thing, but not sure Bate fits the mould. No for mine.

He's definitely not the bigger bodied forward.

stefoid
28-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Question is , is he better than the guy who gets booted off the list to make way for him?

1eyedog
28-10-2012, 10:24 PM

He's as soft as a Yorkshire pudding, but I guess with Shermo gone we'll need a new whipping boy. All the hard things, won't find Bate doing them.

He's actually a hair over 6'3 and has a endomorph frame but he does not use his size to his advantage.

Sedat
28-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Bate would probably play 10-15 games at the kennel next year but is there much point? Will he actually improve us from a 5-17 team with an insipid percentage of 68 to a finals contender? I'm not at all keen on bringing in any more honest plodders just to improve our age profile.

LostDoggy
28-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Bate would probably play 10-15 games at the kennel next year but is there much point? Will he actually improve us from a 5-17 team with an insipid percentage of 68 to a finals contender? I'm not at all keen on bringing in any more honest plodders just to improve our age profile.

This. Would rather use those 10-15 games see if one of our young possibles can turn himself into a probable. Not a straight swap, but perhaps Jack Redpath could have those games or even Matty Panos?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Bate is a terrible footballer at the top level.

I echo Sockeye's comment if the 'reported' is true.

jeemak
28-10-2012, 11:51 PM

It seems counterintuitive to be bringing players in for the sole purpous of improving our age profile. Surely we're best off bringing in players that improve our talent profile considering our current predicament.

We need talent. If that comes in the form of a 25 or a 21 year old I'm not too fussed, though no list management decisions should be made if it negatively affects our ability to improve the overall talent of our list.

Remi Moses
29-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Apparently we're interested in Prismall!
Please say it ain't so!!

whythelongface
29-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Apparently we're interested in Prismall!
Please say it ain't so!!

Are we really interested in guys like Prismall and Bate? Have any of these journos actually interviewed anyone from the club for them to make such assumptions? or are they lacking in newsworthy items at this time of year that they decide to link certain players with certain clubs.

Seems like some of these rumours are just made up for the sake of it and, until we have confirmation from the club, they are a load of bull.

G-Mo77
29-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Are we really interested in guys like Prismall and Bate? Have any of these journos actually interviewed anyone from the club for them to make such assumptions? or are they lacking in newsworthy items at this time of year that they decide to link certain players with certain clubs.

Seems like some of these rumours are just made up for the sake of it and, until we have confirmation from the club, they are a load of bull.

I'm hoping that as well but Stevo is usually pretty good with news related to the Dogs. I'd be disgusted if they decided to get Prismall over another pick in the draft or rookie elevation.

1eyedog
29-10-2012, 09:11 AM
We're turning into Melbourne!!!

I can understand BMac's love in with Prismal and the fact that being competitive raises membership and corporate sponsorship, but enough is enough.

Sedat
29-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Are we really interested in guys like Prismall and Bate?
Evidently. This tweeted by Stevo an hour ago......"Prismall ticks one of Dogs coach Brendan McCartney's big boxes. CHARACTER .. Stay tuned"

whythelongface
29-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Evidently. This tweeted by Stevo an hour ago......"Prismall ticks one of Dogs coach Brendan McCartney's big boxes. CHARACTER .. Stay tuned"

Why would we be interested in someone who has had two knee recos. He is 26 years old and has hardly played any top level football in the last two seasons. Recruiting this guy surely can't be part of the coach's philosophy to rebuild.

Don't we already have enough of this type of player at a much younger age? I can understand why we went for a Dawes or a Gumby but not another inside mid.

bulldogsman
29-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Why would we be interested in someone who has had two knee recos. He is 26 years old and has hardly played any top level football in the last two seasons. Recruiting this guy surely can't be part of the coach's philosophy to rebuild.

Don't we already have enough of this type of player at a much younger age? I can understand why we went for a Dawes or a Gumby but not another inside mid.

I agree, this would be a step backwards. I thought we were looking at guys in the under 25 year old bracket anyway.

On Bate, he just looks like a good VFL player. Not AFL standard.

Templeton31
29-10-2012, 12:23 PM
But are those guys better than an 18 year old at pick 100+ who will be on the list for 2 years when we already now he can't cut it?

ledge
29-10-2012, 01:28 PM
But are those guys better than an 18 year old at pick 100+ who will be on the list for 2 years when we already now he can't cut it?

That's the point

F'scary
29-10-2012, 01:28 PM

The Silver Gumby says:

Computer says NO.

NO to Melbourne discards full-stop(.)

NO to clapped-out borgs who have had double-leg bender rewelds.

KT31
29-10-2012, 01:34 PM

If he want's characters tell him to go to Movie World, we want bloke who can play footy not Melbourne discards.
If he picks either of these two it will fly in the face of the spin we have been copping over the draft period.

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2012, 01:45 PM

That's not the question at all.

Are these guys better than whoever we delist to make up room on the list or the rookie that we don't elevate?

G-Mo77
29-10-2012, 03:26 PM
That's not the question at all.

Are these guys better than whoever we delist to make up room on the list or the rookie that we don't elevate?

I wasn't a fan of Sherman but would rather have him on the list in 2013 over guys like Bate and Prismall.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I would like to think that there is an upside to Matthew Bate, who we tried to recruit last year. Apart from Dahlhaus and Dickson there is very little else to look forward to on the forward line. There is a distinct lack of experience in the 23-28 age category which is not a good sign going forward. Bate to me is a better risk than our recent recruitment of Moles DJ Veszpremi and Sherman. We could do a lot worse IMO.

Mantis
29-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I would like to think that there is an upside to Matthew Bate, who we tried to recruit last year. Apart from Dahlhaus and Dickson there is very little else to look forward to on the forward line. There is a distinct lack of experience in the 23-28 age category which is not a good sign going forward. Bate to me is a better risk than our recent recruitment of Moles DJ Veszpremi and Sherman. We could do a lot worse IMO.

Shouldn't we be looking forward to the development and improvement from Jones, Grant and Cordy?... As well as the 2 players mentioned.

whythelongface
29-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Shouldn't we be looking forward to the development and improvement from Jones, Grant and Cordy?... As well as the 2 players mentioned.

That's where our future lies and not with some recycled hack such as Bate.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-10-2012, 05:12 PM
I hope you are right. The three players mentioned didn't inspire too much confidence in 2012 and in fact played a big part in making it such a poor season. I would think that Fletcher Roberts looks a far better forward prospect than Jones Grant and Cordy. I hope for the sake of the club that you are right. We will need to wait and see.

Topdog
29-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I hope you are right. The three players mentioned didn't inspire too much confidence in 2012 and in fact played a big part in making it such a poor season. I would think that Fletcher Roberts looks a far better forward prospect than Jones Grant and Cordy. I hope for the sake of the club that you are right. We will need to wait and see.

People really over state how bad Jones' season was. He out performed Dawes

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-10-2012, 05:38 PM

On what evidence?

bornadog
29-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Is this a joke

jazzadogs
29-10-2012, 06:29 PM
2012 Averages

Jones: Disp - 9, Marks - 3.4, Goals - 9.9 (12 matches played)

Dawes: Disp - 12.7, Marks - 4.8, Goals - 16.20 (23 games played)

I love Liam Jones, and was really looking forward to watching him play in 2012, but there's no way he outperformed Dawes.

Dazza
29-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Might just be me but every time I've watched Bates play he seems to play pretty well.

He seemed to get dropped at Melbourne for no real reason.

AndrewP6
29-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Marjorie Dawes?

Bulldog4life
29-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Marjorie Dawes?

Saw her live in Melbourne. Hilarious.

AndrewP6
29-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Saw her live in Melbourne. Hilarious.

Great stuff. So wrong, yet so funny...

Mantis
29-10-2012, 08:58 PM
2012 Averages

I love Liam Jones, and was really looking forward to watching him play in 2012, but there's no way he outperformed Dawes.

To be fair it was a little easier playing in Collingwood's forwardline compared to ours.

But Jones was disappointing... Hopefully the coaching staff get him playing the type of footy next year we think he might be capable of.

jazzadogs
29-10-2012, 09:09 PM
To be fair it was a little easier playing in Collingwood's forwardline compared to ours.

But Jones was disappointing... Hopefully the coaching staff get him playing the type of footy next year we think he might be capable of.
Definitely. And Dawes is #2 to Cloke, whereas Jones was largely playing the #1 role or sharing it. But there's no doubt in my mind who had a better season.

I think Jones' 2011 season was largely understated, part of the reason why 2012 was such a disappointment.

Grantysghost
29-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Melbourne mate of mine who is a devoted supporter says out of Bate and Petterd the latter would be worth a chance if he can get some consistency going and string some games together. Bate too slow not up to it.

Topdog
29-10-2012, 09:40 PM
2012 Averages

forwards job is to kick goals.
Jones 0.75 goals per game
Dawes 0.70 goals per game

And Dawes' team had the ball in their F50 a heck of a lot more. Im not saying Jones had a good season but considering everyone is saying Dawes is at the very least a decent forward why do we not give the same pass mark to someone who is younger, played on a tougher defender (or 3) every week and played in a team that can't deliver the ball into the F50?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Hopefully.

On Jones, has he improved since his early days though? Still can't read the play/the flight of the ball and as a result is quite often caught underneath it. I don't attribute this to our poor disposal either -- it doesn't help at times, but it's been his major weakness from day one.

He needs a few more kgs, too.

bornadog
29-10-2012, 10:41 PM
forwards job is to kick goals.
Jones 0.75 goals per game
Dawes 0.70 goals per game

And Dawes' team had the ball in their F50 a heck of a lot more. Im not saying Jones had a good season but considering everyone is saying Dawes is at the very least a decent forward why do we not give the same pass mark to someone who is younger, played on a tougher defender (or 3) every week and played in a team that can't deliver the ball into the F50?

You forget one thing TD, Dawes played a lot in the ruck this year.

Topdog
30-10-2012, 04:06 AM
I don't forget. He played some time in the ruck but most of his game time (by a long way) was in the F50.