PDA

View Full Version : Finals tackling - we're way behind

Dry Rot
08-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Watching the ferocious tackling by the Pies tonight - why can't we do that?

GVGjr
08-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Simple really, Malthouse insists on it and Eade doesn't. My understanding is that we brought in a NRL experienced tackling coach but whilst it improved the technique of a number of players we don't place a high enough regard on it.

Dry Rot
09-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Well that's a black mark for Eade and our tackling coach is crap. The pies are a relatively young light bodied team but are great tacklers.

Did you see that great tackle of Fraser on Barry? A third of the team came in to congratulate him - don't see that with us.

LostDoggy
09-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Well that's a black mark for Eade and our tackling coach is crap. The pies are a relatively young light bodied team but are great tacklers.

Did you see that great tackle of Fraser on Barry? A third of the team came in to congratulate him - don't see that with us.

Yeah, one thing that I really admire is a great chase down, that one by Fraser was fantastic, last year our team was full of them, even Streety was tackling R. Jones from behind in Perth!
Another thing, I think the recognition of these sorts of things has gone down a bit, remember just before 3/4 time in the Round...19? 2005 match against West Coast, when Daniel Chick was running into an open goal, Harris tried to run him down, got a hand on him which forced a fumble, Chick kept running (could have kicked it much earlier, but decided to be a hero despite the fact that they were 40 points down) and the siren beat him before he kicked it? Every single player went over to Harris after that, I didn't really see an incident that resembled anything like that this year as far as all of the support goes.

Go_Dogs
09-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Team football, something we don't do....

Bulldog Revolution
09-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Our fitness semeed to let us down badly this year, after greatly improving in 06. 2007 showed we have a long way to go with contested football and doing the tackling, blocking, smothering, chasing required to be a top team - we just have too many who dont carry their weight

For too long guys have been able to get a game in our team based on their ability to run and use the footy

DOG GOD
09-09-2007, 12:26 PM
our team is a bunch of softies not willing to do the 1%-ers. There is no "I" in team and that needs to be drilled into the team NOW!!

ALL players need to be told at the start of pre-season training that if they dont do the team things then they will be rotting at werribee, NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE.

They get played BIG money to do what they do, and i think some players take it for granted...they think their name alone will get them selected week in week out. THIS HAS TO CHANGE, but i do agree with everyone here, after watching the 1st 3 finals we have a LONG WAY TO GO in EVERY department.

LostDog
09-09-2007, 08:38 PM
With Libba on the out from Carlton why not hire him as our tackling / assistant coach i saw the article on lynch this year imagine what libba could do for the Harbrows,Lynchs and small players

scary thought a bunch of angry little men tackiling Rocca,Hall and the other monsters

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I didn't think the tackling was anything special. Swans lost this game becuase they were shocking coming off the backline. The disposal and their lack of run was well below their par.
Swans got within 4 points then the Pies got 3 or 4 very dogdy frees and off they went again. They didn't deserve to win but I'm not all convinced about Collingwood. Put their players in our jumpers and they will be duds.

Mantis
11-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I didn't think the tackling was anything special. Swans lost this game becuase they were shocking coming off the backline. The disposal and their lack of run was well below their par.
Swans got within 4 points then the Pies got 3 or 4 very dogdy frees and off they went again. They didn't deserve to win but I'm not all convinced about Collingwood. Put their players in our jumpers and they will be duds.

Agree with what you have posted bar the bolded section. Why do you think that?

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Agree with what you have posted bar the bolded section. Why do you think that?
Collingwood players have the crowd, tradition, media and umps with them. They play above themselves more often than not.
Individually they are no better than what we have.

Mantis
11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Collingwood players have the crowd, tradition, media and umps with them. They play above themselves more often than not.

Silly statement.

What they have is pride in the club and expectation. It is expected from there supporters that they will be successful, it is almost demanded. Our supporters don't really give 2 hoots. Our supporters clap off the players after thay are belted, Collingwood supporters don't except what we do.

Individually they are no better than what we have.

I agree that individually we have better players than Collingwood, frankly we have better players than many of the teams in the finals. But is this because we rate them higher than most? What I do know is that teams such as Collingwood, Sydney and North although not extremely talented play for each other and follow team rules, well most weeks anyway.

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Silly statement.

What they have is pride in the club and expectation. It is expected from there supporters that they will be successful, it is almost demanded. Our supporters don't really give 2 hoots. Our supporters clap off the players after thay are belted, Collingwood supporters don't except what we do.

Disagree with this, they have fairly similar supporters except most of theirs have had a labotomy.

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Disagree with this, they have fairly similar supporters except most of theirs have had a labotomy.

Their supporters are very different to ours. Their supporters are always talking up their players, our supporters spend most of their time slagging our players off.

Raw Toast
11-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Their supporters are very different to ours. Their supporters are always talking up their players, our supporters spend most of their time slagging our players off.

Richmond would seem like a decent example of where the supporters expectation of success has impacted negatively on the team's results, and we all know how encouraging they are of their own players.

Garry Lyon, fwiw, has a piece on the tackling of the pies (and a bit on the cats as well) intoday's HUN: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22396501%255E19742,00.html

The stats of both teams (pies and cats) were pretty impressive I reckon - I love supporting a team that tackles well, and it's ***** horrible when tackles keep on being missed and broken. Strangely enough, I reckon it was our tacking which turned around our first game of this season against the cats...

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Richmond would seem like a decent example of where the supporters expectation of success has impacted negatively on the team's results, and we all know how encouraging they are of their own players.

Garry Lyon, fwiw, has a piece on the tackling of the pies (and a bit on the cats as well) intoday's HUN: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22396501%255E19742,00.html

The stats of both teams (pies and cats) were pretty impressive I reckon - I love supporting a team that tackles well, and it's ***** horrible when tackles keep on being missed and broken. Strangely enough, I reckon it was our tacking which turned around our first game of this season against the cats...

Good article. Thanks.

"It speaks volumes for the Pies' mindset, and they were awarded seven free kicks for catching the Swans in possession."

"But the Cats paid as much attention to their defensive pursuits as they did to their attacking game plan and it reduced the Kangaroos to a fumbling, uncertain rabble.

They won themselves an astounding 12 holding-the-ball free kicks against the Kangaroos, more than any other team at any other time of the year. "

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 01:32 PM
"It speaks volumes for the Pies' mindset, and they were awarded seven free kicks for catching the Swans in possession."

About 3 of those 7 were BS.

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Maybe, but the Pies players put themselves in the position to get the BS frees.

Mantis
11-09-2007, 02:27 PM

I think that is taking it to the extreme.

We have 2 very diferent types of supporters. One who can see no fault in any of the players, the other very critical of the players performances.

It's ok to talk up our players, but when they consistently put in poor performances it is hard to be positive.

Go_Dogs
11-09-2007, 02:39 PM

And at least 5 of those paid to Geelong are in the same category. Interpretations always seem to change slightly come finals time.

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Maybe, but the Pies players put themselves in the position to get the BS frees.

By being Collingwood players?
They are overated David.

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
By being Collingwood players?
They are overated David.

At least they can make a tackle and make it stick. Puts them miles ahead of most of ours defensively.

Mantis
11-09-2007, 04:43 PM
At least they can make a tackle and make it stick. Puts them miles ahead of most of ours defensively.

And atleast you know what you will get from Collingwood on a consistent basis. They have a crack and as a supporter that's all you really want. They play a fairly tough and uncomprimising style, which is very successful against all types.

The thing that I strange about Collingwwod is that they generally perform well against our bogey teams in Adelaide and Sydney yet struggle against us. I guess our run and carry style worries them more than the tougher one on one teams.

Dry Rot
16-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Two more finals and more great tackling NB tonight I thought that some of the Roo's tackles were turning points.

Do we have a tackling coach?

southerncross
16-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Two more finals and more great tackling NB tonight I thought that some of the Roo's tackles were turning points.

Do we have a tackling coach?

You are overrating the whole tackling thing. It's the intensity level that we need to fix more than the tackling technique. Fixing the ethic will fix the problem.

Dry Rot
05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Watching the ferocious tackling by the Pies tonight - why can't we do that?

Now we can.

As an ex-NRL fan, I loved our tackling last night.

bornadog
06-07-2009, 10:32 AM
The past 7 weeks we have been averaging around 70 tackles per game. Compared to the first few rounds where we were way down and only around 50 per game. Against the Saints we only laid 52 against their 78.

The intensity has lifted since the Adelaide match, especially after half time.

aker39
06-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Against the Saints we only laid 52 against their 78.

I actually think that was the turning point of our season.

We learnt a lot from St Kilda that night.