PDA

View Full Version : The Dog whisperer: Brendan McCartney

SlimPickens
22-10-2011, 12:41 AM
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/10/21/1226173/573116-brendan-mccartney.jpg

BRENDAN McCartney wasted no time making his first positional move.
The new Western Bulldogs coach passed up the chance to take his predecessor Rodney Eade's chair, happily shifting about 15m further down the row of football staff offices.

It may be smaller, but the room vacated by departed defensive coach Peter Dean suited McCartney perfectly.

A large window overlooks the indoor warm-up area and gym, and McCartney can even peep out on to the oval when the main doors of the training centre are open.

"The players can see in, which is good," McCartney said.

"There are times when the door has to be shut for a reason, but staff and the players have to have access to the senior coach and all the coaches.

"Interaction is so important ... the conversations you have about planning and reviewing stuff.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/the-dog-whisperer-brendan-mccartney/story-fn67siys-1226173560976

Desipura
22-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a number of players are going to have to reinvent themselves if they are going to continue to play seniors, Boyd, Higgins, Grant and Gia to name a few.

w3design
22-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I think the boy's are in for one tough summer. Love it just what they need .

GVGjr
22-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a number of players are going to have to reinvent themselves if they are going to continue to play seniors, Boyd, Higgins, Grant and Gia to name a few.

At a guess I think every player will have to reinvent themselves. I'm told he has a major focus on development plans for each player. If you make the adjustments then great but if you don't a more serious discussion takes place.

dog town
22-10-2011, 08:59 AM
No idea whether McCartney will be a good or average coach but I like the fact that he seems intent on teaching the little things. Our positioning around contests and just doing the basics under pressure was horrendous under Eade. We didn't ever seem well drilled in those little areas. Thats not to say Eade wasn't very good in other areas though. I could be wrong and Eade may have spent countless hours preaching positioning, what to do in certain situations etc but either way the players certainly didn't adhere to it. Its something we need to get better at. Simple game based things that should be just habit cost us games this year when they were in the balance.

Topdog
22-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Yep, I think Gia and Higgins are in for a big shock. Still not sure Gia is physically able to play that style of footy.

No idea whether McCartney will be a good or average coach but I like the fact that he seems intent on teaching the little things.

Yep same, loved all his interviews so far and really looking forward to seeing how this journey goes.

LostDoggy
22-10-2011, 10:22 AM
"You only get that consistency when everyone in the team and the program buys into what I call the 'difficult' parts of the game."

At last we may get some consistency into how we set up at centre bounces and stoppages when we are under the pump. We have fallen away much too quickly in the past.

If we can get everyone playing like Bartel and Corey when they haven't got the ball, we will be well on the road to being as successful as Geelong.

The question is - how long will it take to get 30 players with the skills and attributes McCartney requires to carry out such a plan.

Greystache
22-10-2011, 12:00 PM
It'll be interesting to see his response the first time two senior players are standing in the middle of the ground pointing at each other while their opponents stream inside forward 50m under no pressure, because that's given me the shits the last few years. Also I'm hoping to never hear the "players didn't follow instructions" cop out without consequences the following week.

Rocco Jones
22-10-2011, 01:21 PM
It'll be interesting to see his response the first time two senior players are standing in the middle of the ground pointing at each other while their opponents stream inside forward 50m under no pressure, because that's given me the shits the last few years. Also I'm hoping to never hear the "players didn't follow instructions" cop out without consequences the following week.

What are you talking about?! There were consequences, they were given leadership roles, best and fairest votes, you name it!

ledge
22-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I hope these interviews arent giving away too much to the opposition, they seem to be quite detailed in what Macca has planned.

bornadog
22-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Yep, I think Gia and Higgins are in for a big shock. Still not sure Gia is physically able to play that style of footy.

What utter rubbish, sick of people having a go at Gia.

LostDoggy
22-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Not Sure how this thread became about Gia and Higgins. Not even mentioned in the article.

bornadog
22-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Not Sure how this thread became about Gia and Higgins. Not even mentioned in the article.

Amazing isn't it.

Topdog
22-10-2011, 03:25 PM

??? Having a go at Gia? He is one of my favourite players and I always stick up for him but I would question if he has the physical ability to be able to pull off what our new coach is suggesting. Gia is a player who has been able to use his strengths to his advantage in a major way but he has never been someone who has been able to put in 2nd and 3rd efforts at keeping the ball in our forward line and has never been a big tackler.

FWIW Im sick of people having a go at anyone who suggests anything at the club isn't picture perfect.

bornadog
22-10-2011, 03:31 PM
??? Having a go at Gia? He is one of my favourite players and I always stick up for him but I would question if he has the physical ability to be able to pull off what our new coach is suggesting. Gia is a player who has been able to use his strengths to his advantage in a major way but he has never been someone who has been able to put in 2nd and 3rd efforts at keeping the ball in our forward line and has never been a big tackler.

FWIW Im sick of people having a go at anyone who suggests anything at the club isn't picture perfect.

Your making big assumptions about what the coach wants to do with Gia and how he will perform to the coaches expectations.

The point is Gia has proven he is a very good player yet his name comes up constantly when posters want to bag a player.

Remi Moses
22-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Little tough on Gia . Thought he was pretty good last year, and let's face it not every footballer is Glenn Archer

OLD SCRAGGer
22-10-2011, 04:03 PM

TOTALLY AGREE! These people make me so bloody angry:mad: Wouldn't have the guts to say it to his face I bet !!!!

Mofra
22-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Higgins definately - he likes to use the ball in space, although he was an inside mid as a junior so I think he'll be fine.
Gia is possibly our best ball user under pressure so gamestyle will probably suit him - his issue will be defensive pressure in the F50. Possibly spend more time in the midfield?

I wonder if pure outside players like Sherman & Tutt will be made to make major changes?

Jones & Dalhaus' defensive pressure in the F50 appear like they could be early coach favourites.

Have to admit that although the proof is in the pudding, McCartney seems to be saying all the right things.

immortalmike
22-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I've got to admit that this article was much better than the previous cliche-laden one. I hope he can walk the walk now as it were.

Maddog37
22-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Interesting part for me was hearing that Higgins father was crazy hard at the pill. If Shuan can bring this to his game he could yet be the star he has at times looked like. No more sitting on the ground after a contest holding his head, leg,arm,back etc etc.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2011, 05:23 PM
The thing I like about what I'm reading so far, is that an emphasis will be placed on all the areas we struggled under Eade. Defensive game, positioning, handling pressure etc.

Eade had some major flaws and was unable to adapt a new game plan. I think McCartney can trump him in this area, but as others have said - proof will be in the pudding.

AndrewP6
22-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Positive comments, good to hear, but still a wait and see. Tough pre-season, areas to work on...nothing that hasn't been said before. True to form, I'm not going to get too excited just yet. :)

Bulldog Revolution
22-10-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm just excited to see how Brendan can shape our team and develop our youngsters

Desipura
23-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Take a chill pill. I named a few players who will have to reinvent themselves and you pluck Gia as being the only one who was hard done by my comments.
I went through our team and highlighted those that do not have a strong focus on their defensive side, sure I may have missed Vespa and one or two others.
That's what I took out of the article, whether you like it or not I am going to give my opinion anyway.

LostDoggy
23-10-2011, 09:29 AM
All great except for the fact the article mentions nothing about reinventing players or players lacking a defensive side.

ledge
23-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I think this will come out in who he looks for in draft on if he is looking for footballers who have great work ethic and want to succeed.

Ghost Dog
23-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Take a chill pill. I named a few players who will have to reinvent themselves and you pluck Gia as being the only one who was hard done by my comments.
I went through our team and highlighted those that do not have a strong focus on their defensive side, sure I may have missed Vespa and one or two others.
That's what I took out of the article, whether you like it or not I am going to give my opinion anyway.

Def going to be interesting to see who makes the grade.

bornadog
23-10-2011, 02:41 PM

I gave my opinion as well.

Cyberdoggie
23-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Interesting part for me was hearing that Higgins father was crazy hard at the pill. If Shuan can bring this to his game he could yet be the star he has at times looked like. No more sitting on the ground after a contest holding his head, leg,arm,back etc etc.

Problem is he is a little fragile.

Hard to stay mentally tough when your body breaks down so often.

Imagine what goes through Tom Williams's head evertime he back into a pack.
This is the toughest thing for those types of players, removing doubt and having the confidence in their body usually makes a big difference in a players ability.

I did my knee a couple of years back and everytime i play a sport where it looks like i might get some contact or i might fall awkwardly, something triggers in my mind about my knee or any other formally damaged parts of my body, that get's me thinking twice about my actions.

How does a footballer remove those thoughts from his mind everytime he has an opportunity to dive in or go the bump?

Once bitten twice shy.

Not sure if you can change that overnight.

Maddog37
23-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Only one way. Hard work.

LostDoggy
23-10-2011, 06:53 PM
The point is Gia has proven he is a very good player yet his name comes up constantly when posters want to bag a player.

I wonder why???

Maybe they are mistaking him for someone else?

Topdog
24-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Your making big assumptions about what the coach wants to do with Gia and how he will perform to the coaches expectations.

And you are making even bigger assumptions about me. Our coach has emphasised defensive pressure. This is the main quality Gia lacks.

Where did I "want to bag a player"? Where did I "bag Gia"?

bornadog
24-10-2011, 10:47 AM
And you are making even bigger assumptions about me. Our coach has emphasised defensive pressure. This is the main quality Gia lacks.

Where did I "want to bag a player"? Where did I "bag Gia"?

The trouble is every thread about players Gia's name comes up and it's worse than a broken record. Instead of focusing on a few players how about reading more in to what BMacc is talking about.

If the forward press is working effectively, you don't need super fast players in your forward line as the whole team is pressing forward and keeping the ball in. Gia is not the quickest player but he tries his guts out trying to tackle players, he doesn't just sit back. My reading of the new coach is the emphasis on team play and how individuals will fit into the team.

Desipura
24-10-2011, 11:08 AM
The trouble is every thread about players Gia's name comes up and it's worse than a broken record. Instead of focusing on a few players how about reading more in to what BMacc is talking about.

If the forward press is working effectively, you don't need super fast players in your forward line as the whole team is pressing forward and keeping the ball in. Gia is not the quickest player but he tries his guts out trying to tackle players, he doesn't just sit back. My reading of the new coach is the emphasis on team play and how individuals will fit into the team.

I read the article differently and then all of a sudden you get precious about one of a number of players I mentioned.

Mofra
24-10-2011, 11:44 AM
And you are making even bigger assumptions about me. Our coach has emphasised defensive pressure.
We only had 18 players last year average more than 2.5 tackles a game, and only 14 average 3 or more (2011 figures). That is not good enough.

Wallis & Libba both averaged more than 4 per game, so the young crop seem to understand what is required.

FWIW Higgins & Gia are 10th & 15th respectively on the ave stats - not the worst offenders on our list

Topdog
24-10-2011, 01:39 PM
We only had 18 players last year average more than 2.5 tackles a game, and only 14 average 3 or more (2011 figures). That is not good enough.

Wallis & Libba both averaged more than 4 per game, so the young crop seem to understand what is required.

FWIW Higgins & Gia are 10th & 15th respectively on the ave stats - not the worst offenders on our list

The list of names underneath Gia on that average doesn't make good reading for him though.

And you are right it is not good enough from a teams perspective. I personally believe Gia will struggle from what I have heard early on from BMac.

Sorry if that offends but I have always stuck up for Gia and love him as a player.

Anyway these arguments always end the same, round and round in circles until I finally admit that everything at the Bulldogs is 100% rosy and we will win the next 8 premierships.

Mofra
24-10-2011, 01:52 PM
And you are right it is not good enough from a teams perspective. I personally believe Gia will struggle from what I have heard early on from BMac.
I think his role may be redefined a little - I still rate his disposal in traffic as excellent. As fans, we often dwell on a player's shortcomings (in Gia's case, pace) but forget about some of their attributes.

Anyway these arguments always end the same, round and round in circles until I finally admit that everything at the Bulldogs is 100% rosy and we will win the next 8 premierships.
I think you're a better poster than to try and patronise anyone who disagrees with you, especially considering you've made good points on this thread alone.

Ghost Dog
24-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Defending and critiquing players is all part of it. He has had a pretty good run with selection while at times being a bit patchy. Almost dropped last season when in other clubs, feel he would not have been given as much credit. each player now knows no more credit along the usual lines. People tend to get in a rhythm, Human nature is like this. We need others to get the best out of us. This is the advantage of fresh eyes at the club -

LostDoggy
24-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Yep, BMac is talking the talk, and I sincerely hope that next year, we see that he is walking the walk and that the players are doing the same! Gotta keep thinking positive ;)

Topdog
24-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I think his role may be redefined a little - I still rate his disposal in traffic as excellent. As fans, we often dwell on a player's shortcomings (in Gia's case, pace) but forget about some of their attributes.

I think you're a better poster than to try and patronise anyone who disagrees with you, especially considering you've made good points on this thread alone.

Yeah in close he is excellent and I think a lot of people glossed over his work in the midfield for us, I think we could have used him there this year.

Possibly but I don't like being attacked for no reason (not you and the comment wasn't aimed at you) and am working off very little sleep.

boydogs
24-10-2011, 03:36 PM

If he's going to struggle under McCartney with the expectation of team attack & team defense, then really he was struggling already.

Mofra
24-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah in close he is excellent and I think a lot of people glossed over his work in the midfield for us, I think we could have used him there this year.
The issue here is his pace - if Boyd and Crossy are around the stoppages, I don't think we can accomodate Gia there as well. There was a mention of lookign at another inside mid - I think Gia could play this role, although that would mean we have effectively lost our two major goal kickers in a season as well as a heap of experience in the F50.

It will be very interesting to see how BMac structures the side over the pre-season and in the early rounds.

Bulldog4life
25-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Yep, BMac is talking the talk, and I sincerely hope that next year, we see that he is walking the walk and that the players are doing the same! Gotta keep thinking positive ;)

That's the key otherwise life becomes depressing.:) I hate being depressed.

LostDoggy
26-10-2011, 09:46 AM
The issue here is his pace - if Boyd and Crossy are around the stoppages, I don't think we can accomodate Gia there as well. There was a mention of lookign at another inside mid - I think Gia could play this role, although that would mean we have effectively lost our two major goal kickers in a season as well as a heap of experience in the F50.

It will be very interesting to see how BMac structures the side over the pre-season and in the early rounds.

The first requirement of the midfield is to get the pill. Pace alone won't win you the ball. Who among Bartel, Kelly, Corey, Chapman or Sellwod is express? None of them and this is the engine room of the best side in the competition.

Get me blokes who can get their hands on the ball first. I don't really care if they win the sprint on Grand Final day.

LostDoggy
26-10-2011, 10:53 AM
The first requirement of the midfield is to get the pill. Pace alone won't win you the ball. Who among Bartel, Kelly, Corey, Chapman or Sellwod is express? None of them and this is the engine room of the best side in the competition.

Get me blokes who can get their hands on the ball first. I don't really care if they win the sprint on Grand Final day.

This.

The only speed you need around the stoppage is speed of thought.

The key attribute of all the Cats players named is that they all make great decisions with and without the ball. I was going to say that they have 'good disposal', but I think this is a furphy -- 99% of players on an AFL list can kick and handball fine, it's their decision making under pressure that makes a disposal look good or bad.

Gia is an elite midfield player, and his 'limitations' won't be an issue whatsoever in there -- he also has a tank that goes all day. It's because he can play above his height and is also a genius goalpoacher that he gets used up forward, where his pace going the other way becomes an issue. I think he has one, two years MAX as a forward in this age of the forward press -- at least three, if not more, as a mid.

Mofra
26-10-2011, 11:27 AM
The first requirement of the midfield is to get the pill.
The first requirement of your inside mids is to get the ball to those who can move the ball quickly - the players you've listed move the ball quickly by hand, by foot and all have much better pace than Gia and Cross - there's a reason we don't put 3 slow inside mids at the centre contests.

I think people really undersell the pace of Geelong's engine room - they may not be the quickest in the competition but they are certainly not slow.

LostDoggy
26-10-2011, 12:00 PM
The first requirement of your inside mids is to get the ball to those who can move the ball quickly - the players you've listed move the ball quickly by hand, by foot and all have much better pace than Gia and Cross - there's a reason we don't put 3 slow inside mids at the centre contests.

I think people really undersell the pace of Geelong's engine room - they may not be the quickest in the competition but they are certainly not slow.

You have answered your own question. Yes, the Geelong blokes firstly get the ball and move it quickly by hand and foot. Pace dpoesn't come into it although in case of Cross I have to agree.

However, Cross is rarely if ever in the middle at centre bounces not because of his pace but because he is not a good one grab ball-handler.

ledge
26-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I think more to the point Cross is more a follower of the ball or tagger than a reader. he is great if he theres a fumble but in a clean get he would be just watching.
You need a reader off the ruck in the middle.
Liberatore, Cooney, Griffen are great readers .

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-10-2011, 12:44 PM
I think more to the point Cross is more a follower of the ball or tagger than a reader. he is great if he theres a fumble but in a clean get he would be just watching.
You need a reader off the ruck in the middle.
Liberatore, Cooney, Griffen are great readers .

There has been criticism from some quarters that Cross wasn't used at the centre bounce and that because of his great courage he would have been better placed there in getting the ball out, rather than under Rocket to start him repeatedly on a centre wing where his lack of pace reduced his effectiveness.

Mofra
26-10-2011, 05:00 PM
You have answered your own question. Yes, the Geelong blokes firstly get the ball and move it quickly by hand and foot. Pace dpoesn't come into it although in case of Cross I have to agree.

However, Cross is rarely if ever in the middle at centre bounces not because of his pace but because he is not a good one grab ball-handler.
So what happens after the centre bounce? The majority of the game is not played at the centre bounce - I still believe pace is a factor that does matter to a midfield and teams often structure up to allow thier quicker players to break away from stoppages and contested situations.