PDA

View Full Version : Panos - upgraded to senior list

bornadog
31-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Mathew Panos now officially on the Dogs senior list. Kicked 17 goals in last four VFL games (3 finals) after a backline stint.

Details
Number 48
Height 191cm
Weight 87kg
DOB 25-01-1991

A leading forward and a terrific set-shot at goal, he made a reasonable fist of his first season in the AFL system, slotting 21 goals in 10 games (including a best of six) for Williamstown’s seniors and 40 in 11 games in the reserves, including a bag of 10.

Draft history: 2010 Rookie Draft selection (Western Bulldogs) No. 48.

LostDoggy
31-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Excellent news.

chef
31-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Yep, great news.

Greystache
31-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Congratulations to Matty, he busted his arse to get his chance and he deserves it. Good luck to him, let's hope he has a long and successful career.

GVGjr
31-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Congratulations to Matty, he busted his arse to get his chance and he deserves it. Good luck to him, let's hope he has a long and successful career.

It's a good reward for a player how answered the challenge. He still needs to make a significant improvement again though by getting fitter and more mobile. He's a good decision maker and he uses the ball pretty well.

Greystache
31-10-2011, 08:41 PM
It's a good reward for a player how answered the challenge. He still needs to make a significant improvement again though by getting fitter and more mobile. He's a good decision maker and he uses the ball pretty well.

I'm hoping he shows as much commitment to this preseason as he did to the last one, and thus improves just as much again.

azabob
31-10-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm hoping he shows as much commitment to this preseason as he did to the last one, and thus improves just as much again.

Hopefully he saw how Hooper returned after being elevated and doesn't take his spot on the list for granted.

Go_Dogs
31-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Well done to him, just reward for his efforts. As others as said, hopefully he has got a few more levels in him. Will be one to watch over the pre-season, here's hoping he trains hard and gets an opportunity early in 2012.

w3design
31-10-2011, 09:53 PM
thats awesome news. out of all the guys i know that have played or gone close to playing AFL, i think panos is the one that stands out as having the potential to be a genuine superstar.

This is what one of my mates, a Rostrevor College graduate, said about Matty. Panos was in the year below us at school but my mate knew him a bit.

Bulldog Revolution
31-10-2011, 10:58 PM

You should be managing him GVGjr!

This is exactly the advice he needs. He has done the hard yards and got on the list, but he's only part of the way there to becoming a player

G-Mo77
31-10-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm really happy with this decision. He was an absolute stand out towards the end of the VFL season so it's great to see the rewards for making those improvements. It's going to be a lot more hard work to get to the next level and I'm confident he can do it.

Remi Moses
31-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Very salient points . Deserves his shot, now the hard work starts

The Bulldogs Bite
01-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Great news - a fan of his. Much work to do, but he has the tools.

SlimPickens
01-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Super impressed with his last month of the VFL season. Excellent news for Matt, here's hoping he can continue to improve.

KT31
02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Well done to Panos, lets hope he keeps up the same work rate, realises the job is not even half done and goes on to become a great player for us.

Cyberdoggie
02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Hopefully he saw how Hooper returned after being elevated and doesn't take his spot on the list for granted.

I spoke to him at the East West day last year after we first rookied him. He was probably the only player there with his father keeping him company. He was certainly very quiet and kept to himself but when spoken to he was very mature and intelligent kid.

I got the impression then that he may of felt he wasn't quite part of the bulldogs (as he was a rookie listed player), and that he was kind of making up the numbers, where some of the other rookie listed players were the opposite.

Matthew has had to play second fiddle on a number of occasions, spending plenty of time in the Williamstown reserves because of other key forwards holding those positions above him. I think his resilience and determination to improve has shone through and he'll be better for it.

As GvGjr said he's got a lot to improve still but all you can ask is that he keeps working hard and keeps improving his game.

Twodogs
02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Really pleased to hear that Matthew has got his reward for hard work, effort and results. I've been on the Panos bandwagon for a while now.

Does anyone know how many years his contract is? One, two?

immortalmike
02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I spoke to him at the East West day last year after we first rookied him. He was probably the only player there with his father keeping him company. He was certainly very quiet and kept to himself but when spoken to he was very mature and intelligent kid.

I got the impression then that he may of felt he wasn't quite part of the bulldogs (as he was a rookie listed player), and that he was kind of making up the numbers, where some of the other rookie listed players were the opposite.

Matthew has had to play second fiddle on a number of occasions, spending plenty of time in the Williamstown reserves because of other key forwards holding those positions above him. I think his resilience and determination to improve has shone through and he'll be better for it.

As GvGjr said he's got a lot to improve still but all you can ask is that he keeps working hard and keeps improving his game.

This sounds like the origin story of a superhero/superstar.

I hope he can play senior footy next year. The one thing I think most Doggies supporters will appreciate about him is that we won't have to feel so nervous when he's lining up for a shot on goal. Something that has been severely lacking with our recent KPF prospects.

bulldogsman
02-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm a big fan of Panos and I'm very happy for him. The hard work is paying off.

azabob
02-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Thanks for that Cyber. It is good to know. He already has done a ton of work so hopefully he continues to work harder each pre-season.

AndrewP6
02-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Same, I remember thinking he looked a bit lost! IIRC his mum was also there, as you say he seemed a level-headed young bloke.