PDA

View Full Version : Jason McCartney new WB list manager

divvydan
31-10-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/125700/default.aspx

Development coach Jason McCartney has advised the Fremantle Dockers that he is leaving the club to return to Melbourne to take on a new role with the Western Bulldogs.

McCartney, who joined Fremantle in November 2010, has been appointed the Western Bulldogs’ List Manager.

The club wishes Jason all the best in his future endeavours.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/125700/default.aspx

McCartney and McCartney, at least it's one less surname to remember.

Edit: Confirmation from WB twitter

westernbulldogs Western Bulldogs

Jason McCartney appointed List Manager at the Bulldogs

Dancin' Douggy
31-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Two McCartneys and no Lennon.
Sounds like a nightmare scenario lads

The Coon Dog
31-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Hope he lasts longer than 4 hours like he did at Carlton before quitting because it was too hard!

Ghost Dog
31-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Hope he lasts longer than 4 hours like he did at Carlton before quitting because it was too hard!

Um...tell us a bit more! if you can

GVGjr
31-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm glad this appointment has been made as it's long overdue.

chef
31-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Yay, we finally have a list manager. Still got time before list lodgements 2 to make a few more delistings please Jason.

azabob
31-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Four hours in? Gee how could he make an informed decision?

Was it recently?

Mantis
31-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Yay, we finally have a list manager. Still got time before list lodgements 2 to make a few more delistings please Jason.

You really think he is going to cull after being in the job for 2 minutes??... It ain't going to happen.

chef
31-10-2011, 08:32 PM
You really think he is going to cull after being in the job for 2 minutes??... It ain't going to happen.

It is wishful thinking mate;).

Bulldog Revolution
31-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Very interesting, very pleased we've added a list manager, hoping that Jason will be an excellent addition

jazzadogs
31-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Very happy with the appointment. McCartney always comes across as a very intelligent man.

Bit poor that Freo beat us to the punch in making a media release though.

The Coon Dog
31-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Four hours in? Gee how could he make an informed decision?

Was it recently?

It was 2007.

Link (http://www.carltonfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4311/Default.aspx?newsId=53007)

azabob
31-10-2011, 09:56 PM
It was 2007.

Link (http://www.carltonfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4311/Default.aspx?newsId=53007)

Thanks TCD!

Dancin' Douggy
31-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Maybe he smelt what they were cooking and ran for his life.........................

LostDoggy
31-10-2011, 10:29 PM
My mate works on the fitness staff at Freo and he is mates with Jason. Really good guy by all reports and knows his stuff too.

Bulldog Revolution
31-10-2011, 10:53 PM
It was 2007.

What do you put it down to TCD?

Do you think he just got cold feet? or felt there was a personality that was going to be difficult for him to work with?

GVGjr
31-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Do you think he just got cold feet? or felt there was a personality that was going to be difficult for him to work with?

It's not something that I was aware of but I don't think it will pose an issue for us. He should be able to work in very well with the recruiting team and he has a great understanding of Junior football and the elite pathway.

Sedat
31-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Would have preferred Steven Icke to fill this role. He was a key figure in building Carlton's list from shambles to very good and only left because of a clash with Ratten.

I know nothing about Jason McCartney and his coaching/admin career but I don't think he has the list management experience that Icke has. Irrespective, I hope Jason does a good job - it's a massively important one for where our list is currently at.

The Coon Dog
31-10-2011, 11:17 PM
What do you put it down to TCD?

Sorry, I have no idea.

I know James Fantasia was looking to get him across last year.

Does anyone know if Fantasia & McCartney were together at Adelaide?

Scraggers
31-10-2011, 11:18 PM
So with a list manager what Role does Fantasia now have? (serious question)

1eyedog
31-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Saw first hand what he did in Africa in terms of identifying young talent over there. Also did a lot to progress women's football, both here and in South Africa. After Africa I believe he brought a couple of South African teams over to play off at Royal Park. I spoke with him at length in the Emirates Room at the MCG on the night of the 2008 qualifying final between us and the Hawks and you could not meet a more charismatic figure.

Good luck Jason.

anfo27
31-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Would have preferred Steven Icke to fill this role. He was a key figure in building Carlton's list from shambles to very good and only left because of a clash with Ratten.

I know nothing about Jason McCartney and his coaching/admin career but I don't think he has the list management experience that Icke has. Irrespective, I hope Jason does a good job - it's a massively important one for where our list is currently at.

Agree with Sedat here. I thought Icke would have been a good get but hopefully Jason does a great job. Good luck macca.

The Doctor
01-11-2011, 12:03 AM

Why would Fantasia appoint someone who could easily challenge his position in a short period of time?

Raw Toast
01-11-2011, 12:07 AM
So with a list manager what Role does Fantasia now have? (serious question)

Hopefully a smaller one!

divvydan
01-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Sorry, I have no idea.

Yes, Fantasia started working at Adelaide in 1995, McCartney played for Adelaide between 1995 and 1997.

Dry Rot
01-11-2011, 12:59 AM
What exactly does a list manager do throughout the year?

LostDoggy
01-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I find the timing strange. All the trades, delistings and contracts for next year are done.

The Coon Dog
01-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, Fantasia started working at Adelaide in 1995, McCartney played for Adelaide between 1995 and 1997.

Thanks divvydan. I knew they were both at Adelaide but wasn't sure if it was at the same time.

w3design
01-11-2011, 10:19 AM
It's not something that I was aware of but I don't think it will pose an issue for us. He should be able to work in very well with the recruiting team and he has a great understanding of Junior football and the elite pathway.

Agree he has great C.V with player identification and development and also gives us an insight into what Freo are going into this draft period .

KT31
01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Agree he has great C.V with player identification and development and also gives us an insight into what Freo are going into this draft period .

Rather have an insight into Cat's and the Pie's.;)

LongWait
01-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Why do you say that McCartney lasted 4 hours - the article seems to imply that he pulled out before starting the job at Carlton?

Why do you say that he quit the Carlton job because it was too hard? Where do you get that from?

Go_Dogs
01-11-2011, 07:58 PM

McCartney was interviewed this afternoon on 5AA in Adelaide, he mentioned he was good friends with Fantasia.

KT31
02-11-2011, 10:15 AM
McCartney was interviewed this afternoon on 5AA in Adelaide, he mentioned he was good friends with Fantasia.

Just what we need.:rolleyes:

Maddog37
02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
You would think with all Jason has been through that he will be a strong individual and an independant thinker. Who gives a frogs arse if he is friends with Fantasia.

Jasper
02-11-2011, 02:05 PM
You would think with all Jason has been through that he will be a strong individual and an independant thinker. Who gives a frogs arse if he is friends with Fantasia.

Getting burned and blown up in Bali are definitely the qualities we need to be an independant thinker.
I think he's been involved with elite junior program somewhere along the way, so hopefully a few smokies in the draft.

BTW - he cut my lunch in a night club once about 15 years ago. I'm clearly still holding a grudge

Desipura
02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Getting burned and blown up in Bali are definitely the qualities we need to be an independant thinker.
I think he's been involved with elite junior program somewhere along the way, so hopefully a few smokies in the draft.

BTW - he cut my lunch in a night club once about 15 years ago. I'm clearly still holding a grudge

I wonder whether that was the night he "dumped" something in a teammates drink, very disturbing if you ask me.

ledge
02-11-2011, 02:52 PM

I wonder whether that was the night he "dumped" something in a teammates drink, very disturbing if you ask me.

We all do silly things when young, most grow out of it, looks like he has.

The Doctor
02-11-2011, 03:34 PM

so long as he is not a puppet then fine

Mofra
02-11-2011, 05:11 PM

He's done worse than that - not exactly the type of guy girls would bring home to meet the family.

Hopefully he's changed. Alot.

azabob
02-11-2011, 07:47 PM
He's done worse than that - not exactly the type of guy girls would bring home to meet the family.

Hopefully he's changed. Alot.

Hopefully - Was this pre or post Bali?

Go_Dogs
02-11-2011, 09:07 PM
so long as he is not a puppet then fine

Agree with that. Most people in footy circles would be known to each other, either from playing together or against each other, coaching, etc - so I'm not convinced it's a huge issue.

At the end of the day, if McCartney is serious about forging a career as a list manager, he's going to be judged on his performance, and accordingly should be backing himself in to make the right calls at the right times.

Mofra
03-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Hopefully - Was this pre or post Bali?
Pre-Bali - lets hope it has changed him. A lot.

KT31
03-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Pre-Bali - lets hope it has changed him. A lot.

You would have to be cast in stone for it to not.
It changed millions of lives that haven't even set foot in Bali.