PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs Social Club Event 2011

Cyberdoggie
03-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Looks like it's on again this year.
Date is for 5th of December, monday night, free entry for WB SC members at Etihad stadium victory rooms.

Last years event was a good night for the first event, even with a few issues with delays in entry and getting food/drinks, however it was a great opportunity to meet and greet the new players and coaching staff who will all be there.

You can book your tickets via the WB website, which now has a link to the event.

Any woofers going this year?

bornadog
03-11-2011, 02:12 PM
yes I will be going, want to hear from the new coach.

cinder
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Yup I am going, but the downer is you can't bring a (paying) guest this time. None of the rest of my family have SC memberships. I did contact the club and they said that last year they had too many people want to attend, so they're going to see what the response is with the members and if there's tickets left, we'll be allowed to invite guests at a 'reduced rate.'

Cyberdoggie
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Yup I am going, but the downer is you can't bring a (paying) guest this time. None of the rest of my family have SC memberships. I did contact the club and they said that last year they had too many people want to attend, so they're going to see what the response is with the members and if there's tickets left, we'll be allowed to invite guests at a 'reduced rate.'

Yeah i remember it took about an hour to get inside and when we finally did i went straight to the bar for my free drink, and they started doing the presentations. David Smorgon was getting a little upset because people wouldn't be quiet but the problem was they couldn't hear well, and were still making their way inside.

Will make sure i'm early this year to get my beer and nibbles before they run out.

bornadog
03-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah i remember it took about an hour to get inside and when we finally did i went straight to the bar for my free drink, and they started doing the presentations. David Smorgon was getting a little upset because people wouldn't be quiet but the problem was they couldn't hear well, and were still making their way inside.

Will make sure i'm early this year to get my beer and nibbles before they run out.

My daughters school had their valedictory dinner at the same venue a few weeks ago and it was the same thing. We had to line up outside for awhile before we were let in. There were about 800 people at the dinner. Finally we got in and during the speeches, we couldn't hear well and people were also talking. The other shmozzal was the only way to the car park was via the lifts, the stairs were shut off. You can imagine how long it took to get out of there.

I hope Collo has this sorted out.

Cyberdoggie
04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
My daughters school had their valedictory dinner at the same venue a few weeks ago and it was the same thing. We had to line up outside for awhile before we were let in. There were about 800 people at the dinner. Finally we got in and during the speeches, we couldn't hear well and people were also talking. The other shmozzal was the only way to the car park was via the lifts, the stairs were shut off. You can imagine how long it took to get out of there.

I hope Collo has this sorted out.

That is disgraceful, what if there was a fire?
Pretty sure you can't block off the stairs, because the elevator won't be working.
I wonder who the genius was who made that decision.

bornadog
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
That is disgraceful, what if there was a fire?
Pretty sure you can't block off the stairs, because the elevator won't be working.
I wonder who the genius was who made that decision.

The exit was open to outside as the Victory room is on the ground, it was just the stairs to the basement car park.

Mantis
04-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Does the club send you tickets or do you simply show your membership card? (After confirming of course)

LostDoggy
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Couldn't go last year but plan to attend this year. Looking forward to hearing the speeches etc.

Greystache
04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I can't go this year, having (another!) knee operation that day. If anything of value is mentioned a report would be great!

bornadog
04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Does the club send you tickets or do you simply show your membership card? (After confirming of course)

Actually not sure on that. When I booked i got a receipt showing nil payment, so maybe I take that?

cinder
04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Nah they sent tickets out once you've registered.

AndrewP6
04-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Reading some of these reports isn't a great selling point! Don't think I'll go...

Topdog
05-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Monday night, really???

I'll try to get there.

Chicago1
06-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Well it's a good thing I didn't join the Social Club this year because I'll be in Vegas Dec. 5. :p

LostDoggy
07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Well it's a good thing I didn't join the Social Club this year because I'll be in Vegas Dec. 5. :p

I'd be more than happy to lend you my social club ticket if you'd like to trade places!! :D

Cyberdoggie
07-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Reading some of these reports isn't a great selling point! Don't think I'll go...

Despite a few hiccups it was still a very good night.

You get first look at all the new draftees and trades (none this year).
You get good opportunities to meet the players, although it's a bit more crowded than the East West day for example

Actually just thinking out loud, they should involve the club sponsor more in these functions. That is why don't they use it to have a Mission samplers pack, or even bring out some Mission foods for people to try?

Good opportunity for them to push their product.

Anyway back to the point, it's a good night and i'd definately go, at least to get your december/post draft fix of the Western Bulldogs before the next function around mid January.

LostDoggy
09-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Apart from the line to get in & the line to get a drink, last years event was fun. Got to mingle with the players and get photos. I'm still undecided for this year, it's not easy getting through the city for a 6.30pm start from the Eastern suburbs.

bornadog
09-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Apart from the line to get in & the line to get a drink, last years event was fun. Got to mingle with the players and get photos. I'm still undecided for this year, it's not easy getting through the city for a 6.30pm start from the Eastern suburbs.

Yes, I am in the same boat, have to leave early

Cyberdoggie
09-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Depends what time you finish work but going against the traffic it's pretty quick down the Monash.

cinder
09-11-2011, 01:12 PM
If anyone isn't planning on going I'd be interested in purchasing your ticket so I can take my dad. The club would charge to take a guest so I don't mind paying.

bornadog
09-11-2011, 01:45 PM
If anyone isn't planning on going I'd be interested in purchasing your ticket so I can take my dad. The club would charge to take a guest so I don't mind paying.

You can have my wife's ticket and no need to pay as its free to me anyway.

PM me with details of where to mail to you once I receive it.

cinder
09-11-2011, 02:22 PM
You can have my wife's ticket and no need to pay as its free to me anyway.

PM me with details of where to mail to you once I receive it.

Wow Bornadog, thank you so much, that is awesome. Only if you're sure you won't need it. I'll PM you shortly.

LostDoggy
09-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Must be blind - where on the website do you register? Cant find a thing.

Maddog37
09-11-2011, 03:16 PM

Take the bag off your head!:D

cinder
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM

https://www.westernbulldogs.net/bdforms/eventorder/69-2011+Social+Club+Event.html

LostDoggy
09-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Take the bag off your head!:D

Ah that helps :D

https://www.westernbulldogs.net/bdforms/eventorder/69-2011+Social+Club+Event.html

All sorted, thanks muchly.

LostDoggy
09-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Depends what time you finish work but going against the traffic it's pretty quick down the Monash.

Yeah, I'd be going in on Eastlink/Eastern Freeway & it's the getting through the city part that's a bit painful.. but we'll see. :)

LostDoggy
22-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Got my wrist band in the mail today.

Heres hoping its more organized than last year :)

bornadog
22-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Yes also received mine, so they must have posted them all this week.

w3design
23-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Don't know how to start threads so i'll put it here Dogs just announced leadership group for 2012 with Matthew Boyd to remain Captain.With Daniel Cross , Daniel Giansiracusa, Dale Morris and Robert Murphy to make up the rest of the group .Looks the Coon dog is out in the cold after one year in the leadership group.[QUOTE] As the story posted on the bulldogs Website.

bornadog
23-11-2011, 12:39 PM
BILLY THE KID - Don't know how to start threads so i'll put it here Dogs just announced leadership group for 2012 with Matthew Boyd to remain Captain.With Daniel Cross , Daniel Giansiracusa, Dale Morris and Robert Murphy to make up the rest of the group .Looks the Coon dog is out in the cold after one year in the leadership group.
As the story posted on the bulldogs Website.

Started a thread.

LostDoggy
23-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Don't know how to start threads so i'll put it here Dogs just announced leadership group for 2012 with Matthew Boyd to remain Captain.With Daniel Cross , Daniel Giansiracusa, Dale Morris and Robert Murphy to make up the rest of the group .Looks the Coon dog is out in the cold after one year in the leadership group.[QUOTE] As the story posted on the bulldogs Website.

Might have been his own choice. He doesn't seem to be the type to really WANT a leadership role.

Raw Toast
01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm not a social club member at the moment (can't get approval for that through the senate at the moment), but a little birdy whispered some of what is planned for Monday's event, and let's just say that you'd be crazy not to go if you are eligible!

The Bulldogs Bite
02-12-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm not a social club member at the moment (can't get approval for that through the senate at the moment), but a little birdy whispered some of what is planned for Monday's event, and let's just say that you'd be crazy not to go if you are eligible!

Sounds great.

I'm looking forward to this event -- only been to a few WB functions, but this is one I am genuinely looking forward to.

bornadog
02-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Is it a stand up affair or tables?

Greystache
02-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Is it a stand up affair or tables?

It was a stand up affair last year.

cinder
03-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm getting excited now. Had a lot of fun last year!!
My advice is, if you want autographs, bring your own pen/permanent marker.
Yeah, pretty much no seating from memory. Just like a bar environment.

SonofScray
05-12-2011, 11:14 PM
What did people think?

It was a bit hit and miss for mine. To touch the Premiership Cup and have a photo with it was pretty special. The players were mostly very good with having a chat and signing autographs and what not so can't fault them at all. I certainly enjoyed the opportunity to wish a few players well and welcome the kids to the Kennel.

Smorgo gave the crowd a bake for being rude and talking over the presenters and what not which was fair enough I guess, bit I also felt that Kevin Hillier didn't do a great job as MC and that they didn't really command the crowds attention and respect as a result.

Food and drink was a debacle in my book.But for the cost to us to go I won't complain. I was expecting it to be much better though I have to be honest.

Generally, we do get some pretty good events out of the Club. These smaller ones though need a bit of polish.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-12-2011, 11:31 PM
The food was alright -- I didn't eat much of it, but what more would you expect anyway? Agree the waiting for drinks was a disaster.

Aside from that, I had a great time. It was a really good function, and anyone who doesn't attend them, should.

I know I'll be attending a lot more functions in the future.

Players and coaches were great to talk to.

Prince Imperial
05-12-2011, 11:36 PM
What did people think?

It was a bit hit and miss for mine. To touch the Premiership Cup and have a photo with it was pretty special. The players were mostly very good with having a chat and signing autographs and what not so can't fault them at all. I certainly enjoyed the opportunity to wish a few players well and welcome the kids to the Kennel.

Smorgo gave the crowd a bake for being rude and talking over the presenters and what not which was fair enough I guess, bit I also felt that Kevin Hillier didn't do a great job as MC and that they didn't really command the crowds attention and respect as a result.

Food and drink was a debacle in my book.But for the cost to us to go I won't complain. I was expecting it to be much better though I have to be honest.

Generally, we do get some pretty good events out of the Club. These smaller ones though need a bit of polish.

Apart from the premiership cup it sounds just like last year. I was booked to go but have had to travel interstate for work. Thanks for the report.

bornadog
05-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I went along tonight, mainly to hear from the new coach.

I thought overall the event was ok, but has room for improvement. After the usual speech from Smorgo we heard from the coach and I guess he reiterated everything we have heard in the press and other functions. He wants tough uncompromising football and all the training to date has been directed towards that. Match simulation and football related training has started earlier than it normally would. Training will be ramped up even more after the players break. (Training finishes on the 17th and resumes in the new year)

In regards to food and drink, you can blame the caterers of Eitihad. They can't even organise food on match day let alone a function.

Good to catch up with some woofers, TCD, Chops, Cyberdoggie, Alex, Aker39 and Cinder.

Open training is on this Saturday and the club was pushing for every one to pop down and meet the coach.

LostDoggy
06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
In regards to food and drink, you can blame the caterers of Eitihad. They can't even organise food on match day let alone a function.

Open training is on this Saturday and the club was pushing for every one to pop down and meet the coach.

I agree! The catering was pretty poor, even compared to last year. Food was put on tables which people were sitting on, so it was really awkward to lean over people to get food. Surely it wouldn't of been hard to move the chairs away from tables and put them on the outside? Common Sense did not prevail. :rolleyes:

Other than that I enjoyed hearing from the new recruits (I think Daniel Pearce was the one who loved the Microphone, very confident young guy! :))

I was gunna goto the training this week but a big Friday Night planned, so I think i'll pass on the big one where a thousand people will show up and goto a quieter session in January instead.

LostDoggy
06-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Was going to go but totally forgot about it. Ah well, I live a few blocks away from WO, so I'm sure I'll see them all during the summer.

AndrewP6
06-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Good move on Smorgon's part, I can't stand people coming to an event where they know people will be talking, and then proceeding to talk over them. It's just rude, and really gets my hackles up! Whether or not the MC or speaker is great, it shows respect if people actually try to listen. As a teacher, it is really irritating at our school assemblies when parents stand up the back and talk through it.

If you don't want to listen, don't show up (not directed at you, SonofScray! :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Good move on Smorgon's part, I can't stand people coming to an event where they know people will be talking, and then proceeding to talk over them. It's just rude, and really gets my hackles up! Whether or not the MC or speaker is great, it shows respect if people actually try to listen. As a teacher, it is really irritating at our school assemblies when parents stand up the back and talk through it.

If you don't want to listen, don't show up (not directed at you, SonofScray! :)

I felt that the crowd was fairly well behaved particularly when you put 1,800 people into a confined space. The atmosphere was good with a degree of optimism expressed by all.
Coach BMcC continues to impress with captain Matthew Boyd being most positive in the training of the senior list over the past 5 weeks. David Smorgan highlighted the good early signs with 15,000 members signed up already, an increase of 3,000 on last year at the same time. The introduction of the 4 draftees was a highlight, in particular Michael Talia whose passion was obvious for the Bulldogs referring to his grandfather Harvey Stevens and great grandfather Arthur Stevens both playing with the club.

strebla
08-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I felt that the crowd was fairly well behaved particularly when you put 1,800 people into a confined space. The atmosphere was good with a degree of optimism expressed by all.
Coach BMcC continues to impress with captain Matthew Boyd being most positive in the training of the senior list over the past 5 weeks. David Smorgan highlighted the good early signs with 15,000 members signed up already, an increase of 3,000 on last year at the same time. The introduction of the 4 draftees was a highlight, in particular Michael Talia whose passion was obvious for the Bulldogs referring to his grandfather Harvey Stevens and great grandfather Arthur Stevens both playing with the club.

Would have loved to hear Talia talk really looking forward to this kid in a couple of years from all reports h is working his arse off too !!!

Cyberdoggie
08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Would have loved to hear Talia talk really looking forward to this kid in a couple of years from all reports h is working his arse off too !!!

Probably the largest cheer for the night was for Talia's mention that he was a bulldog supporter and grandson of a great.

It's great to hear but i wonder that the average bulldog supporter has a far too greater infatuation with individual greats and the past. It could just be because of our lack of success but i really think we need to focus on clearly on the future more.

Anyway i hope he turns out to be a ripper.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
What about Bmac's slip of the tongue when asked a question(can't remember exactly what it was) replied with 'Well it's not Rocket science.....'.
Made me chuckle.

SonofScray
08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
What about Bmac's slip of the tongue when asked a question(can't remember exactly what it was) replied with 'Well it's not Rocket science.....'.
Made me chuckle.

:cool:

Did have a laugh, I like what he has had to say so far. His mantra seems to be very different to the 'tempo' footy lifestyle that Rocket really built up.

bornadog
08-12-2011, 02:28 PM
:cool:

Did have a laugh, I like what he has had to say so far. His mantra seems to be very different to the 'tempo' footy lifestyle that Rocket really built up.

Its a new era. Footy is changing all the time. We had Terry doing it his way, and we got close to a GF. We had Rocket doing it his way and again close to a GF. I would expect under BMac we have a different way again in training, game plans, types of players etc, and we will see what happens.

Footy is constantly evolving and changing, even despite what the rule makers do to the game and wanting to revert back to the 80's. Game plans need to change as well.

NoName
10-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Had a quick chat to Talia, Roughead, Vez and a few others - they all seemed really nice and looking forward to next season.

LostDoggy
11-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Arthur Oliver my friend ;)

AndrewP6
11-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Arthur Oliver my friend ;)

Arthur Stevens was Talia's great-grandfather, and a Bulldog.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/A/Arthur_Stevens.html